U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

If I was the management, I'd be going out to win this now. Bring back the big guns like Carney, JPB and AJ where possible and go for it. 

I want to win the JPT

Yoof Cup last year to that cup this year feels like a natural progression 

The final is at Wembley too and I'm sure with the buzz around these youngsters and that place being our 2nd home we'd take a fair few down for it, that kind of experience would be huge 

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I want to win the JPT

Yoof Cup last year to that cup this year feels like a natural progression 

The final is at Wembley too and I'm sure with the buzz around these youngsters and that place being our 2nd home we'd take a fair few down for it, that kind of experience would be huge 

Yep i agree. As it stands we could put a pretty decent team on the pitch in the upcoming rounds even with a few injured and out on loan

Bidace        Archer          Chuk2 

Chuk 1       Iroegbunam     Ramsey 

Swinkels     Feeney     Bogarde       Ealing 

Sinisalo

4 x 19 years old 

4 x 17 years old 

2 x 18 years old 

1 x 16 years old 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Yep . Massive thanks needs to go to the set up that is allowing players to thrive . And as you say the depth is extraordinary. I do those back of the fag packet line ups for fun and we have a starting xI that might actually make it

Bidace               Archer                 Caleb

Carney                Bogarde            Iroegbunam

Chrisene     Swinkels          Feeney          Kesler 

Sinisalo

And thats scary because theres still Aarom Ramsey , Arjan Raikhy   Brad Young  Revan and Louie Barry  that could be in there as well. 

Brilliant work at BMH going on 

Thanks for putting Bogarde in midfield! He was so spectaculair here in the Feyenoord youth on that position! Really hope they won't definitely turn him into a defender

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Yep i agree. As it stands we could put a pretty decent team on the pitch in the upcoming rounds even with a few injured and out on loan

Bidace        Archer          Chuk2 

Chuk 1       Iroegbunam     Ramsey 

Swinkels     Feeney     Bogarde       Ealing 

Sinisalo

4 x 19 years old 

4 x 17 years old 

2 x 18 years old 

1 x 16 years old 

If we really want to go for it we still have the other Ramsey too 😁😁

I think it's probably seen to be in bad taste for a Premier League side to reach the final in the EFL Trophy and deny a lower league side the chance to play at Wembley.

Us and other Premier League club's entering the competition is more about giving young players experience playing against first team opposition.

Also it's incredibly difficult for a U21 team to win it anyway, you only have to look at the other results this season and in previous seasons to see the gap between U23 football and first team football, even in the lower leagues, even the PL sides that qualify for the knockout stages are well beaten eventually.

Against MK Dons I wouldn't be surprised to see us play more of the fringe U23 players such as Tommi O'Reilly, Reddin, Hart, Sewell and so on from the start, as it's a perfect opportunity to give them the experience of playing against first team opposition and will probably see similar thinking from us in the knockout stages which will probably lead to us being defeated, but us giving game time to as many of our highly rated youngsters as possible even if means us getting knocked out of the tournament will be seen as more valuable than playing our strongest U21 team and progressing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was it a strong Burton team?

Burton made 9 changes to the starting line up from Saturday's league game.

That's par for the course for EFL clubs in the group stages- the game I followed last night both EFL teams had made 9 changes from the weekend.

So for most its a reserve team made up of fringe players, youngsters and first choice players returning from injury. EFL League 1 and 2 reserve sides are however quite a bit stronger nowadays -  since the rule change  preventing them loaning in any players outside the transfer window - everyone has to have two players for every position just in case their ,say, left back breaks a leg on in early September. So 9 changes might not be as dramatic as first appears - see the debate on here about whether Chelsea's changed team in the Carabao Cup was 'first choice' ! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

so what is the point of the Papa Johns Trophy?, even the League 1/2 clubs seem to treat it like it completely unimportant?

There is no point.  It used to be a lower league trophy to go for, but the entering of Premier League U21 teams has (rightly, IMO) pissed off the lower league clubs.  Fans boycott the games, the teams don't give a shit and rotate their squads for it.

You'll get good money for a decent League Cup/F.A. Cup run but nothing in this.  It's a massive waste of time.

(Edit:  But obviously well done our U21 side :D)

Edited by bobzy

I had a look on a Burton forum last night and they seemed to think that they'd named a strong team, it might not have been their usual starting eleven but I don't think any team plays their starting eleven in the EFL Trophy, but more often than not the lower league clubs beat the PL U21 sides comfortably,  so a good achievement by us last night either way and you could argue we didn't play our strongest U21 team, the likes of Aaron Ramsey, Thorndike, and Chrisene were missing, and Frith - presumably because he wasn't allowed to play...

Which goes back to what I was saying earlier, in this competition we might not always play our strongest team, or the one most likely to win a game, but rather the team will be picked based on which players will get the most benefit from the experience.

Pizza stats updated.

Next round of fixtures (not this weekend)

Even our stiffs derby is a midday kickoff :lol:

Friday 15th
13:00 Burnley(11)   v Norwich(7)
19:00 Fulham(1)     v Reading(9)

Saturday 16th
12:00 sha(12)       v Aston Villa(3)

Sunday 17th
13:00 Middlesbro(10)v West Brom(2)

Monday 18th
14:00 Wolves(5)     v Southampton(14)
19:00 Stoke City(8) v Notts Forest(4)
19:00 Sunderland(13)v Newcastle(6)

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

There is no point.  It used to be a lower league trophy to go for, but the entering of Premier League U21 teams has (rightly, IMO) pissed off the lower league clubs.  Fans boycott the games, the teams don't give a shit and rotate their squads for it.

You'll get good money for a decent League Cup/F.A. Cup run but nothing in this.  It's a massive waste of time.

(Edit:  But obviously well done our U21 side :D)

not for us

if our youngsters win a trophy at this level then there is a point to it, if we win it by beating Sunderland's reserves then so be it

since they changed the rules leicester and man city have made a quarter final and chelsea made it to the semis, thats it for an academy, would be great for us if we won it

• Like 2

On the JPT and trying to win it and getting our day out at Wembley, just seen we took 700 last night 

Fair play to our support, the buzz around this team is there, we'd take a fair few down to the big smoke if we got there 

Can you imagine if these kids got a final at Wembley in front of 20k villa fans? Probably more too 

On 06/10/2021 at 18:51, villa4europe said:

On the JPT and trying to win it and getting our day out at Wembley, just seen we took 700 last night 

Fair play to our support, the buzz around this team is there, we'd take a fair few down to the big smoke if we got there 

Can you imagine if these kids got a final at Wembley in front of 20k villa fans? Probably more too 

We'd do what small heath did in Leyland DAF.... take 250k down with us and pack out all the pubs in town. 

Mate. 

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Have we got any true DMs in our Academy? Or are they all CMs/AMs?

Lemare Bogarde even though he is playing centre half 

Hayden Lindley sits all night but with great passing range . 

The rest are all centre mids who can play offensive and defensive 

• Thanks 2

The funny thing with Bogarde is that when he was playing in midfield for us he wasn't really playing as a DM, more of a box-to-box midfielder, there was a few times when I'd be watching streams with not great quality and I'd get Bogarde and Chukwuemeka mixed up as they both have a similar ease on the ball and ability to carry it forward, Bogarde shows those same qualities even playing in defence, I watched the replay of the Burton game and thought he was excellent.

The players who've been playing as DMs for the U23s are Lindley and Iroegbunam but neither of those two are out and out DMs in the old fashioned sense of of a DM where their main job is to be almost like an extra defender, Iroegbunam is more of an all rounder, and Lindley is more known for his passing, although I've noticed recently the defensive side of his game is improving.

Todd Alcock I saw briefly last season playing for the U18s when he came on as a sub in the game that was streamed by Arsenal, he kind of reminded me of a mixture of Raikhy and Lindley, he had good workrate and looks like he's a really good passer of the ball, his passes were really crisp and precise, had an air about him that made him look like a 'natural footballer',  was interesting to see him on the bench against Burton.

I think Sylla was the closest we had to an out and out DM in the old fashioned sense, but he of course left because of limited opportunites.

• Like 2