U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I think Sylla was the closest we had to an out and out DM in the old fashioned sense, but he of course left because of limited opportunites.

The odd thing is that he is still on the Villa website in the U-18 team. They're usually very quick to update. 

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Have we got any true DMs in our Academy? Or are they all CMs/AMs?

DM is a very simple term in today's game tbf but we don't play with a sort of large destroyer type in the first team, and seeing as the big thing NSWE wanted was to have a philosophy running through the club at all levels, it stands to reason that we wouldn't play one in the academy or U23 teams. We like a DLP, so we have Luiz in the first XI and Lindley in the U23s.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

DM is a very simple term in today's game tbf but we don't play with a sort of large destroyer type in the first team, and seeing as the big thing NSWE wanted was to have a philosophy running through the club at all levels, it stands to reason that we wouldn't play one in the academy or U23 teams. We like a DLP, so we have Luiz in the first XI and Lindley in the U23s.

True, but its always good to have options to mix things up. Like how the first team currently plays a different formation to the U23 and U18 teams. 

Maybe Bogarde is that player. 

Stoke City have taken Aston Villa defender Patrick Zito on trial. 

Stoke City played the youngster for their Under-23s yesterday, as per a report by Stoke On Trent Live. 

Zito, who is 18-years-old, featured as the Potters’ development squad lost 2-1 to Fulham.

https://the72.co.uk/252761/stoke-city-take-aston-villa-defender-patrick-zito-on-trial/

• Thanks 3

On 05/10/2021 at 21:27, S-Platt said:

Brilliant stuff MK Don's next in the Papa John's I am sure quite a few tickets could be sold for that Half Term 7pm kick off so not too late to get the kids home.  New Stadium to cross off the list.  I know I am keen!

Tickets available Online tomorrow 5pm to ST Holders. 10am Wednesday on Phone. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Tickets for the away derby game at the Sty are available today at 17:00 for season ticket holders who want to make the mad dash across the city for the Wolves game at the final whistle.

I imagine a fair few will be doing this, Any idea of the allocation? 

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

I imagine a fair few will be doing this, Any idea of the allocation? 

I'm not sure - I have a feeling that skint FC will let as many is as they can - it'll be interesting when two thirds of the crowd gets up to leave ten minutes from the end.

They lost 4-0 to Newcastle on Monday.

• Thanks 1

I watched small heath's game against Forest a couple of weeks ago, and despite having two or three first teamers in their line-up, including Etheridge, and Jordan Graham, they looked really poor and lost 5-0, this was against a team in Forest who themselves are new to this level. I think they've played first team players in most of their games this season, and wouldn't be surprised if they do it to a greater extent against us in an attempt to get a result, especially as their first team plays the day before this game, meaning anyone who doesn't play in that will be available to play against us.

Either way I hope we name as strong a team as possible.

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure - I have a feeling that skint FC will let as many is as they can - it'll be interesting when two thirds of the crowd gets up to leave ten minutes from the end.

They lost 4-0 to Newcastle on Monday.

Looks like they have removed the option to buy small heath tickets?

Can only see MK Dons away available? 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2021/10/14/wolves-sign-academy-coach-mike-scott-from-villa/

Wolves have signed coach Mike Scott from Villa ahead of the West Midlands derby clash between the two clubs.

never heard of him. says he was our head of youth development. i thought that was harrison but he's listed as the academy manager...guess they're 2 different things.

He's joined Wolves as 'Head of Youth Development' but he was our 'Youth Development Phase Coach', which I'm pretty sure is just a fancy title that we give to our U16 Head Coach, certainly I've read previously that that's what his role with us is. Wolves advertised for the position a few months back, so presumably we gave him permission to apply for it, maybe his contract with us was coming to an end anyway.

Mark Harrison is the head of our youth academy, and Steve Hopcroft is the head of Head of Player Talent ID.

So the U18's kick off at Bodymoor at 12:00, while the first team kick off at 15:00 at Villa Park and the U23's kick off at the sty at 12:00 too.

We're going to be stretched a bit thin, I noticed Feeney had wished the team good luck this morning on Twitter, so I'm guessing he's unavailable - is he still on international duty?

Could be a bit of a patchwork effort this lunchtime. 

Interesting to see Barnes on the bench, I think he's another of the first year scholars that they rate highly but been unlucky this season with his injury, he and Lutz could make their U23 debuts today.