Windows 11

Genie

I'm downloading it now via the Windows Insider option.  I had to turn on fTPM in my BIOS settings in order for it to become available though, otherwise "hardware does meet the minimum requirements" was all that appeared - I'll err, see you on the other side. 

EDIT:  Now quietly installing in the background whilst I can run other apps which I'm surprised at.  Up to 49% installed now apparently.  Just waiting for the prompt to restart as it inevitably will. 

EDIT 2: Well it took an age to upgrade itself after restarting but so far, so good.  My apps and bookmarks etc seem to work and so far it seems smooth. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading about Win 11 for months. I've yet to see any reason to upgrade from Windows 10. If anything Windows 11 seems more restrictive. You HAVE to have a Microsoft account. Is this correct?

25 minutes ago, Anthony said:

You HAVE to have a Microsoft account. Is this correct?

No and yes. You need it for a home edition license. Pro edition does not need a online account.

20 minutes ago, Tegis said:

No and yes. You need it for a home edition license. Pro edition does not need a online account.

Interesting, thanks. I do not like this

Another question, for which there may be no answer, why Windows 11? From Microsoft's perspective, that is. What made them change their mind from "Win 10 will be the last version of Windows"?

15 minutes ago, Anthony said:

What made them change their mind from "Win 10 will be the last version of Windows"?

Somebody told somebody else that they are still in the business of selling licenses i guess. The "last ever version" was strange.

I can't think of any OS that force you into a online account, not even Chrome OS. It feels like this is one of those things they will do a u-turn on eventually. The badwill is massive.

Alternatives aplenty though, even for gamers.

Edited by Tegis

Ooh, now this is interesting. Turns out the TPM security chip that you need to run Windows 11 is banned in China. And has been since 1999. I presume China banned it because they couldn't hack it? Or that it has a (rumoured) NSA backdoor naked into the hardware? I wonder why now? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, dubbs said:

So what's the best alternative for those who can't upgrade to 11?  Stick with 10 or install something else?

If you're happy with windows 10, why change. If you're not happy, then all the other options come with more disruption, but with the potential to find something you prefer. I guess most in your position will just stick with 10. A lot will also depend I guess on what you use the computer for, and how you use it, and also budget (if any) and how old it is - I mean if it's old and slow, then maybe replacement comes into play and then that opens up options that are wider.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dubbs said:

So what's the best alternative for those who can't upgrade to 11?  Stick with 10 or install something else?

What Pete said.

And try ChromeOS Flex first if it is "old and slow" before you put it in the bin.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2022 at 16:27, dubbs said:

What Blandy and Limpid said.

Microsoft have just released version 22H2 (i.e. 22 for the year, and H2 indicating second half of said year), so it's still getting upgrades as well as updates.

Also Win 10 is going to have security updates until 2025 at least. Microsoft have said that support will stop then, but they've always extended it in the past.

I'm still on Win 10 for my main gaming PC and still see no reason to move to Win 11.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Dunno if this is just a bitch about Win11, but a short account of my headache this morning. 

I use a Win11 laptop for recording music. It's quite poky, but only has one USB port (USB-C). So it's connected to a powered hub that links up an extra monitor, an audio interface, and anything else I might need (midi keyboard, offline disc drive, cd burner, etc.) It's all been working fine for a couple of years. 

Until this morning. Boot up, no VGA signal to monitor. What? Check all connections, seems OK. Still no go. Try an HDMI cable instead. No difference. Then I notice there's no light on the audio interface - looks like it could be the hub. I have a couple of other hubs, try them both. No go. Whatever I plug in, the computer fails to recognise it. Starting to look like a hardware problem with the port, and I'm starting to consider repair shops. Fearing loss of recent work, I need to back up, but with no way to connect the terabyte drive, I have to upload it all to my Dropbox, taking several hours. 

OK, one last look at Settings and Control Panel before taking it to the shop. Hang on... C drive (small partition) is very close to full. May as well just tidy it up, delete temp files, etc. Didn't save much. Oh yeah, empty the recycle bin. Blimey, over a Gb. Hang on, what's this? It's picked up the hub. Monitor is back on. That was it - C drive too full. Everything is working fine again. But why, oh WHY was it not able to tell me that that would cause a USB problem? Grrrr. 

Edited by mjmooney

On 06/10/2021 at 21:09, Anthony said:

Ooh, now this is interesting. Turns out the TPM security chip that you need to run Windows 11 is banned in China. And has been since 1999. I presume China banned it because they couldn't hack it? Or that it has a (rumoured) NSA backdoor naked into the hardware? I wonder why now? 

If you use the latest version of Rufus, it allows you to choose an MBR boot without TPM.

I would probably use a spare ssd just to try it, in case you want to go back.

Â