Windows 11

Genie

Microsoft has unveiled Windows 11, its "next generation" operating system, at a virtual event. 

The new software will let Android apps run on the Windows desktop.

Product manager Panos Panay promised smaller, faster security updates - a common complaint for Windows users - and said they would happen in the background.

Windows 11 will also let users configure multiple desktops for work, home, and gaming, like on a Mac.

Microsoft says there are currently about 1.3 billion devices running Windows 10.

An early preview version of the new system will be released for app developers next week.

Windows 11 will be available as a free update to existing Windows 10 users - although some devices will not have the right specifications. These include a minimum of 64 gigabytes of storage and 4 gigabytes of RAM.

One cosmetic change is putting the "Start" button at the bottom-centre of the screen rather than left-hand side.

Windows 11IMAGE COPYRIGHTMICROSOFT
image captionThe 'Start' menu is now centre-aligned and available in a dark mode
Microsoft Windows 11IMAGE COPYRIGHTMICROSOFT
image captionA new widgets window will provide personalised updates
Microsoft teamsIMAGE COPYRIGHTMICROSOFT
image captionMicrosoft Teams chat will be built-in

In addition, Windows 11 will feature tighter integration with Microsoft's communications platform Teams. Xbox Games Pass, a subscription service offering access to hundreds of games, will also be pre-installed.

The tech giant said it would share more profits from its app store with creators and developers - as rival Apple continues to face challenges over its business model.

When Windows 10 launched in 2015, Microsoft said it would be the final version of the operating system. It has since announced Windows 10 will be retired in 2025.

Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella described the launch as "a major milestone in the history of Windows", but analyst Geoff Blaber from CCS Insight said he did not consider it to be "a revolutionary step".

"Windows 11 is an iterative release that pinpoints where Windows needs greater ambition, rather than introducing the sweeping changes seen with its predecessor," he said.

"The end game for Microsoft is ensuring that the step up from Windows 10 to Windows 11 provides significant enough improvements to offset any complaints."

Link to BBC

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

Can't figure out why I'd want the start button and other icons taking up the centre of my taskbar, hopefully that's configurable and not a Windows 8 scenario or classic shell will be making a revival.

The initial requirements suggest a Microsoft account is now needed for home users and you can no longer opt out and use a local account, which will probably stop me upgrading if they stick to that. I don't want their cloud account BS on my PC.

• 3 weeks later...

So.MS will have Android compatability and multiple desktops and all sorts of things that are just add ons.You will still get 10 updates/hotfixes a week to fix the things that MS has not bothered about for the last 10 years.

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

So.MS will have Android compatability and multiple desktops and all sorts of things that are just add ons.You will still get 10 updates/hotfixes a week to fix the things that MS has not bothered about for the last 10 years.

But no access to Google Play Services (which means it's pointless).

It's a lot more than 10 years and people still give them money.

Bill Gates launched Microsoft's "Trustworthy Computing" initiative with a January 15, 2002 memo,[10] referencing an internal whitepaper by Microsoft CTO and Senior Vice President Craig Mundie.[11] The move was reportedly prompted by the fact that they "...had been under fire from some of its larger customers–government agencies, financial companies and others–about the security problems in Windows, issues that were being brought front and center by a series of self-replicating worms and embarrassing attacks."[12] such as Code Red, Nimda and Klez.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trustworthy_computing#:~:text=improvement-,microsoft and trustworthy computing,-edit

IMHO Gates is the biggest pirate this side of the black stump.I dont mean in terms of pirating software,I mean in terms of ripping people off with his sub-standard product and false claims.

I anticipate this new, upgraded best in class operating system and the enhancements it might bring to what is already a world-beating Windows 10 almost as much as the look on limpid's face when he reads this comment ;) 

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I anticipate this new, upgraded best in class operating system and the enhancements it might bring to what is already a world-beating Windows 10 almost as much as the look on limpid's face when he reads this comment ;) 

The look on my face is nonchalant. If people want to keep using this junk, it's completely up to them.

The fools.

On 13/07/2021 at 05:25, Davkaus said:

Among other really important things like photo editing and compulsary updates on Windows 10.Now we have the earth shattering start button moved and Android compatability on Windows 11.I hear that Windows 12 will have the ability to wash the dishes and hang out the washing,But as usual whatever version you have you will still get 10  updates and hotfixes a week for the next 3 years.

You would think that by version 11 Windows would have fixed at least some of its long standing problems ?!

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Among other really important things like photo editing and compulsary updates on Windows 10.Now we have the earth shattering start button moved and Android compatability on Windows 11.I hear that Windows 12 will have the ability to wash the dishes and hang out the washing,But as usual whatever version you have you will still get 10  updates and hotfixes a week for the next 3 years.

You would think that by version 11 Windows would have fixed at least some of its long standing problems ?!

As I said just above, the Android compatibility is pointless without Google Play. Many apps will not work properly without that layer providing app scanning, location services, etc, etc.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

As I said just above, the Android compatibility is pointless without Google Play. Many apps will not work properly without that layer providing app scanning, location services, etc, etc.

Can Google Play play be side loaded like with the cheap Chinese phones that were around a few years ago?

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Can Google Play play be side loaded like with the cheap Chinese phones that were around a few years ago?

It's not an app, so no. The packaging format is just about to change too so sideloading will be something very different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So this launches in October, and apparently my 4 year old PC with an I5 7600k is not supported, as well as most PCs more than 3 or so years old. It might finally be Linux time for me.

My previous hardware lasted 7-8 years and probably would have gone on longer still capable of gaming and dev work if I hadn't spilled rum in to it. It's pretty despicable for Microsoft to be telling people their perfectly performant and functional hardware is now obsolete and they either need to stay on an old version or upgrade their hardware. The environmental impact of a change like this is huge, not to mention we're still suffering from extreme chip shortages.

Nobody should be buying new hardware for an OS update.

Edited by Davkaus

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So this launches in October, and apparently my 4 year old PC with an I5 7600k is not supported, as well as most PCs more than 3 or so years old. It might finally be Linux time for me.

My previous hardware lasted 7-8 years and probably would have gone on longer still capable of gaming and dev work if I hadn't spilled rum in to it. It's pretty despicable for Microsoft to be telling people their perfectly performant and functional hardware is now obsolete and they either need to stay on an old version or upgrade their hardware. The environmental impact of a change like this is huge, not to mention we're still suffering from extreme chip shortages.

Nobody should be buying new hardware for an OS update.

If I understood a LTT video I saw the ohter day, you can install 11 on it, you just cant upgrade directly from 10. So clean install from a USB will work. Dunno what happens licencing-wise though

edit:

Edited by Tegis
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â