Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

54 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We all have different opinions but Buendia goes straight in for me even with everyone fit.

Buendia just offers way too much flair. You cannot not play him

Buendia is quality but I wouldn't class him as a flair player.

• Like 1

Just now, Philosopher said:

We love this guy because he gives everything. And now he's injured and not played for a while he's suddenly become Zidane!

He is obsessed with playing throughballs, and is a good passer. He is extremely hardworking and has an aggressive streak. His touch is good, and he is also quite good at finding space (if he isn't being man marked). These are his good points.

On the flipside he is often too preoccupied with finding a throughball. He is physically weak. He is physically slow. He isn't a good ball carrier or dribbler as a result of his physical limitations. He can sometimes lose his head. His tenacity is somewhat negated by his lack of physical presence. 

Against an opponent that is going to consistently press high and not going man mark him, he is a killer. Otherwise, he isn't going to do much for us going forward. But will always help the team with his workrate. If he can pick and chose his throughballs better, and just make sure to retain possession sometimes he'd be a much better player for us.

I think this is spot on. I’ve always said he’s a much better player when he keeps it simple until the opportunity rises to play that killer ball instead of trying to force things all the time.  I also think Zaniola is a better player than him but just lacks fitness which hopefully the club will work on with him. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We love this guy because he gives everything. And now he's injured and not played for a while he's suddenly become Zidane!

He is obsessed with playing throughballs, and is a good passer. He is extremely hardworking and has an aggressive streak. His touch is good, and he is also quite good at finding space (if he isn't being man marked). These are his good points.

On the flipside he is often too preoccupied with finding a throughball. He is physically weak. He is physically slow. He isn't a good ball carrier or dribbler as a result of his physical limitations. He can sometimes lose his head. His tenacity is somewhat negated by his lack of physical presence. 

Against an opponent that is going to consistently press high and not going man mark him, he is a killer. Otherwise, he isn't going to do much for us going forward. But will always help the team with his workrate. If he can pick and chose his throughballs better, and just make sure to retain possession sometimes he'd be a much better player for us.

Buendia is creative and unpredictable.

He is also great against low block teams.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Spot on with this assessment. I like Emi, but with everybody fit next season he won't be a regular starter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Buendia is creative and unpredictable.

He is also great against low block teams.

He isn't anywhere near unpredictable like Traore or Bailey. He is creative, but that's with his passing. He rarely beats a player. He is only useful against low blocks when brought on as a sub late on. When he is one of many creative and attacking players. When has he ever started a game and put in a good performance against a low block?

Low blocks get unlocked by moving the ball quickly, direct running to beat defenders, and clever runs between the line. He can't really beat a man, holds on to the ball too long (when he can't quickly find a throughball), and unless we have lots of attacking players on the pitch he is usually looking for the runs rather than making the runs.

He doesn't start ahead of Ramsey, or McGinn or Diaby, and for me Zaniolo is a better player, so who does he come in for?

• Like 2

From what I recall in the pre-season game against Newcastle in the US, Emi was unplayable first half and had them all over the place.  Looked like he was really up for it this season.  My brother and I have always called him the nearly man, because he sees and tries things others don't and then nearly plays a great ball but not quite - often slightly underhitting or overhitting passes.  But against Newcastle he seemed to be getting it right.  I think we do miss him, even though we are doing well without him.  For example against Palace for most of the game, Everton in the Carabao, and Mostar we were crying out for a number 10 type like him or Coutinho to get between the lines and unlock them. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

From what I recall in the pre-season game against Newcastle in the US, Emi was unplayable first half and had them all over the place.  Looked like he was really up for it this season.  My brother and I have always called him the nearly man, because he sees and tries things others don't and then nearly plays a great ball but not quite - often slightly underhitting or overhitting passes.  But against Newcastle he seemed to be getting it right.  I think we do miss him, even though we are doing well without him.  For example against Palace for most of the game, Everton in the Carabao, and Mostar we were crying out for a number 10 type like him or Coutinho to get between the lines and unlock them. 

Newcastle are the archetype of a team he can thrive against. They press high and in numbers, so this means when Buendia is in a left mid / no10 position there is lot of space for him to drop into centre midfield and receive the ball in space after the press has been broken through. The he can really do damage then. He has a niche, where if he can get space in the right positions he can do damage. 

But if he started against West ham he would've struggled. They only pressed high after the second goal. There was little space between the lines. Zaniolo on the other hand did well. He stretched them with his pace and power. He won duels, was a target for high balls, didn't allow the dirty Coufal to bully him. Buendia couldn't have done that.

• Like 1

Once we get Mings, Buendia, JJ and Moreno back I expect us to have much less of a settled 'first' XI and see a fair bit more switching around of the starters to effect different tactics against different opponents. It'll make us less predictable and I've no doubt even more effective. Emi will get his share of starts IMO, but it'll be horses for courses rather than a rigid first XI followed by subs on 60mins.

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

For me Zaniolo is the better player

I like Zaniolo and think he has so much potential. Not sure I’d say he’s better than Buendia though. Still, happy we have picked up a quality player on loan. 

2 hours ago, Risso said:

Spot on with this assessment. I like Emi, but with everybody fit next season he won't be a regular starter.

Surely that’s what our recruitment should always be about? And a squad will always improve while we buy players that are very good but surround them both on the pitch and on the bench with players thst are genuinely at least as good as what we already have. So that eventually we can make changes without weakening the team, both during and between matches. 

Edited by DaveAV1

Â