Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Hopefully he's back for pre season next summer. Could be longer like Wesley. Could be career effectively over at top level. 

Definitely won't play this season whatever happens with his career now. 

Emery has literally said it'd be 6-8 months. I don't know why you're so certain that he definitely won't play at all this season, and why you seem to think there's a good chance his career is now effectively over at the top level?

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

Emery has literally said it'd be 6-8 months. I don't know why you're so certain that he definitely won't play at all this season, and why you seem to think there's a good chance his career is now effectively over at the top level?

6 to 8 months is the standard for ACL. It takes longer to get back to fitness and match level. Look at Digeo Carlos, a year on from a 6 month recivery injury like Achilles and he's still not ready. We need to accept he's gone for season and we need to accept some players don't recover. We don't know the future for Buendia but we know best case is really he's back next season and still as good as he was

• Like 1

Do we get any insurance pay out in this kind of situation?

Surely being our most expensive ever signing we have some thing financially lined up to help us replace him?

Anyone in the football world know how this works?

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Do we get any insurance pay out in this kind of situation?

Surely being our most expensive ever signing we have some thing financially lined up to help us replace him?

Anyone in the football world know how this works?

I think most insurance is only to cover career ending injuries (and because of the fact that it has to be career ending - it can take a while to get the money paid out as the insurance company won't want to pay out and then have the player make a miraculous recovery 6 months later.  You'd imagine that the insurance premiums for 6 - 12 months injuries would be so astronomically high that they wouldn't be worth it.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

6 to 8 months is the standard for ACL. It takes longer to get back to fitness and match level. Look at Digeo Carlos, a year on from a 6 month recivery injury like Achilles and he's still not ready. We need to accept he's gone for season and we need to accept some players don't recover. We don't know the future for Buendia but we know best case is really he's back next season and still as good as he was

Carlos still did feature again last season, albeit briefly. Every player is different though, and Buendia being "gone for the season" is probably just as unlikely as Buendia being back playing regularly by April/May.

In any case, I really don't know where you're getting this extreme pessimism from about him not recovering. The majority of top-level players who get these kinds of injuries do recover these days.

• Like 1

Big blow because he was in the XI for now. Losing any starting player is a killer.

He was also great against Newcastle in pre-season, their players will 100% be boosted by the news they don't have to play against him.

I don't understand the logic of releasing this news, when we haven't confirmed recent injuries like Duran and big Tim in pre-season. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

I just hope he can recover and have a career at this level after what has happened to Wesley and others who've suffered serious knee injuries 

It's nothing like Wesley.

Buendia could always control and kick a football properly, Wes barely could before the injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Big blow because he was in the XI for now. Losing any starting player is a killer.

He was also great against Newcastle in pre-season, their players will 100% be boosted by the news they don't have to play against him.

I don't understand the logic of releasing this news, when we haven't confirmed recent injuries like Duran and big Tim in pre-season. 

Probably because it's a fairly bad one and the club figured it's better to be up front than try and hide it when it would inevitably leak on social media anyway.

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Thought I'd try and add a little positivity to the thread...

The list of players that have had ACL injuries, recovered, and played at the same/similar level is very very long.

Just a few examples:

Van Nistelrooy did his ACL before moving to Man Utd, he had a pretty good career after that.

Xavi did his ACL and returned the same season.

Ibrahimovic, Shearer, Del Piero, Totti, and Baggio all did an ACL and played at very high levels for a long time after.

A lot of these are a few years back as well, treatments have only improved since then.

Any talk of 'career effectively over at top level' is very much worst-case scenario stuff. Wesley I believe did multiple ligaments which is why his was so bad.

I like Buendia, I think he's a good player, an important player for us, but with Mr Emery in charge and a decent squad to work with I think we'll be okay.

Yes it all depends. Especially as the injury was behind closed doors and not caught on video like Wesley, it will be hard to truly know when he comes back. 

Just now, Mantis said:

Probably because it's a fairly bad one and the club figured it's better to be up front than try and hide it when it would inevitably leak on social media anyway.

Maybe yeah.

Could have assisted transfer negotiations a bit if no one knew one of our starting players is now done for 6-12 months.

2 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The list of players that have had ACL injuries, recovered, and played at the same/similar level is very very long.

Just a few examples:

Van Nistelrooy did his ACL before moving to Man Utd, he had a pretty good career after that.

Ibrahimovic, Shearer, Del Piero, Totti, and Baggio all did an ACL and played at very high levels for a long time after.

A lot of these are a few years back as well, treatments have only improved since then.

Any talk of 'career effectively over at top level' is very much worst-case scenario stuff. Wesley I believe did multiple ligaments which is why his was so bad.

I like Buendia, I think he's a good player, an important player for us, but with Mr Emery in charge and a decent squad to work with I think we'll be okay.

A really bad situation for Emi and us... But thanks, your post has cheered me up a bit : >

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Just a few examples:

Exactly. The default assumption when a top-level player in 2023 gets an ACL injury should be "we probably won't see him back for 9 months or so", not "his career could effectively be over".

8 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Just a few examples:

Robert Pires was one as well in 2002. Then more recently there's Leroy Sane and Virgil van Dijk who have come back. Not to mention our very own Tyrone Mings.

Just now, villan95 said:

Robert Pires was one as well in 2002. Then more recently there's Leroy Sane and Virgil van Dijk who have come back. Not to mention our very own Tyrone Mings.

Van Dijk has dropped off massively since that injury.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Van Dijk has dropped off massively since that injury.

Focussing on the positives Mings and Delph went on to become England internationals. Plenty others on the list continue to or played on at international level and top level football. 

Has Van Dijk really been that bad? Liverpool as a whole were a mess. (I don't know)

• Like 1

Â