Champions League final at Villa Park?

gwi1890

If they want to move it to the UK then Villa Park isn't unreasonable. Wembley already has the playoff final on the same day, can't believe they would want to play it at Old Trafford/Emirates/Spurs seeing as it's the rival stadium of the finalists. 

That said it will more than likely still take place as planned in Istanbul, but good that someone at the club is switched on to at least offer it to UEFA.

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

According to Sky there’s a possibility of the final being played at Villa Park, seems to have sparked quite a reaction from the spurs and newcastle fans

I think Spurs have the right stadium for it, but I think having it in the home city of one of the teams wouldn't look right. (Even though London and Manchester United etc.)

Newcastle is a lovely stadium, but it's in the middle of nowhere - where are all the people from Budweiser going to stay?

it's not going to move, there will be masses of hotel rooms booked and hospitality arranged for all of UEFA's guests, the sponsors, the friends of sponsors, the money, the TV people, the local dignitaries and so on - they won't want to upset all of those people, the people who make the Champion's league happen, just for the benefit of the 30% of the stadium they offer to the happy clappers that add atmosphere for TV.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

In sure it won’t move, but during a pandemic surely it would be logical?  

Why?

If you take for example Heineken - they pay around £90m a season to sponsor the Champions league and they will have booked flights, hotels, hospitality and goodies for two or three hundred of their executives and high performers months in advance of this final. Would it be a logical disruption for them to have to remake all of those plans? 

Sony, Ford and Adidas will have similar plans - they all pay more into UEFA than fans do. 

The Turkish FA and the host clubs and cities will have arranged dinners, events, tickets and media for the visit of the Champions League final - they'll have been making those plans  since the day it was announced.

Loads of tour operators will have sold packages to the final, hotels will have made additional arrangements, taxis and busses will have been rebranded, technicians will have been trained, engaged and accommodated for broadcasters, advertisers and media companies.

Accreditation for a couple of thousand journalists will have been arranged, produced, delivered and organised.

The logistical machine behind putting on these finals will have been running for years - the last bit, people who buy tickets and sing, that's the easy bit, I just think it's very unlikely that they'll change the plan just to benefit 20,000 travelling fans - it's worth noting that - only 20,000 of the 72,000 tickets are being sold to fans of the two teams.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Spurs have the right stadium for it, but I think having it in the home city of one of the teams wouldn't look right. (Even though London and Manchester United etc.)

Newcastle is a lovely stadium, but it's in the middle of nowhere - where are all the people from Budweiser going to stay?

Yeah if they were moving it to the UK then I assume they'd rule out the Northwest and London as they wouldn't be neutral enough. So once you've ruled them out there's not really many top class stadia left with the kind of capacity they'd be looking for.

St James' Park and Stadium of Light probably the only others bigger than VP. But why send them up to the North East when Birmingham is right in the middle?

Like you I don't think it will happen. But IF it did, Villa Park makes perfect sense

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

St James' Park and Stadium of Light probably the only others bigger than VP. But why send them up to the North East when Birmingham is right in the middle?

I don't think Newcastle have the hotel rooms and infrastructure for it, I'm fairly sure Sunderland doesn't!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think Newcastle have the hotel rooms and infrastructure for it, I'm fairly sure Sunderland doesn't!

I honestly don't know this but do they have the corporate facilities for it? 

The trinity in particular has excellent award winning facilities that I'm sure UEFA will love 

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

it's very unlikely that they'll change the plan just to benefit 20,000 travelling fans - it's worth noting that - only 20,000 of the 72,000 tickets are being sold to fans of the two teams.

4000 to each team, my Man City mate just told me.

Just now, blandy said:

4000 to each team, my Man City mate just told me.

Yep sorry, 10,000 each was for if there wasn't a reduced capacity. If you take it to Villa Park and you operate on a reduced capacity and assume that UEFA aren't going to upset the sponsors or their own dignitaries, you'd probably be looking at a lot less than 4,000 per team (although there would be a better market for some of the corporates to sell theirs to).

Incidentally, just thinking about 10,000 tickets per team in a 72,000 capacity stadium in the best possible non-pandemic scenario does again have me chuckling to myself at the idea of Liverpool in the 2022 UEFA conference Final at a stadium that holds 22,500. It'll be hilarious 'not fair' chaos as they scramble for the 3,000 tickets available.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep sorry, 10,000 each was for if there wasn't a reduced capacity

But there is. He wants to go. He thinks because of accumulated loyalty points he's got a good chance. But he said Turkey is in a bit of a mess with something called "Pandemic disease" or something - apparently it's been on the News a bit? Anyway, he reckoned that cases there might well be on a sharp decline , and that maybe if they don't the UK will declare Turkey a Red country, which will stop the players being able to go there to play it..in which case, then they might have to move the location to the UK - He also mentioned the Europes, which are just after, and you can't have the English players not being able to play in them, because they're still hiding from Pandemics in an isolation Hotel.

I think there might have been some wishful thinking in amongst all that, mind. 

In fairness, they did move this game out of this stadium last year because of the pandemic - they made it much more convenient for the fans of PSG and Bayern by holding it in Portugal.

I think whichever way they go, one of the key factors will be whether the new host city is somewhere the people from UEFA, Sony and Ford fancy spending a weekend.

I look forward to the announcement that this has been moved to the Allegiant Stadium.

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why?

If you take for example Heineken - they pay around £90m a season to sponsor the Champions league and they will have booked flights, hotels, hospitality and goodies for two or three hundred of their executives and high performers months in advance of this final. Would it be a logical disruption for them to have to remake all of those plans? 

Sony, Ford and Adidas will have similar plans - they all pay more into UEFA than fans do. 

The Turkish FA and the host clubs and cities will have arranged dinners, events, tickets and media for the visit of the Champions League final - they'll have been making those plans  since the day it was announced.

Loads of tour operators will have sold packages to the final, hotels will have made additional arrangements, taxis and busses will have been rebranded, technicians will have been trained, engaged and accommodated for broadcasters, advertisers and media companies.

Accreditation for a couple of thousand journalists will have been arranged, produced, delivered and organised.

The logistical machine behind putting on these finals will have been running for years - the last bit, people who buy tickets and sing, that's the easy bit, I just think it's very unlikely that they'll change the plan just to benefit 20,000 travelling fans - it's worth noting that - only 20,000 of the 72,000 tickets are being sold to fans of the two teams.

I meant it purely  from a pandemic standpoint travelling different bubbles mixing ect

Just now, gwi1890 said:

I meant it purely  from a pandemic standpoint travelling different bubbles mixing ect

But the same problem will exist if they move the game to the UK. The majority of people travelling won't be fans of the two teams. The Champions league final isn't a 'peoples' game, it's a UEFA corporate showpiece opportunity. There will be more Turkish employees of Hankook tyres present than there will be Chelsea pensioners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But the same problem will exist if they move the game to the UK. The majority of people travelling won't be fans of the two teams. The Champions league final isn't a 'peoples' game, it's a UEFA corporate showpiece opportunity. There will be more Turkish employees of Hankook tyres present than there will be Chelsea pensioners.

I think a lot of non-fans will travel, but I don’t think they’ll be the majority.

If it were at Villa park then fans and club officials could all travel by road which is another big plus. 

dont think it will happen but its good tactical decision from the club to show UEFA they are proactive and offering to help. Purslow looking for a seat at the UEFA board I imagine 

• Like 3