Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Unpopular opinion but I would rather have kept Nakamba than the club sign Dendonker. Yes he is quite limited in passing but he got around the pitch and is tenacious in the tackle. I reckon he would have worked well with Emery and provided adequate cover for Kamara.  

It’s an area for the club to address in January.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Unpopular opinion but I would rather have kept Nakamba than the club sign Dendonker. Yes he is quite limited in passing but he got around the pitch and is tenacious in the tackle. I reckon he would have worked well with Emery and provided adequate cover for Kamara.  

Think Nakamba is too poor with the ball to work in our system. Just like when the Donk plays we becomes much more effective to press against for our opponents. And that ruins a key part of how we want to play. Not easy to find a player who is both good enough on the ball and defensively strong enough while also "OK" with only being a bit part player. We are not Man C or Chelsea with unlimited funds and a super club reputation.

It's similar to the back up GK situation. Yeah Olsen is dreadful with his feet and ruins our build from the back. But how do we find a back up GK who's a good keeper and good with his feet while also OK with not playing more than the odd game.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

One of the first things Unai did was get rid of Nakamba

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not sure if this was discussed but after Brighton scored and were getting a little joy down our right flank Emery switched things around and played Kamara in defence to add some solidity.

Cash was pushed up to right side of midfield and this allowed us to re-balance and get hold of the ball a bit more, Villa then took control of the game.

I recall this also happened earlier in the season for a short period of a game (PL?) where Kamara was used in the right-side of defence.

Professor Emery indeed.

Amazing how being proactive works better than sticking rigidly to the original (and only) gameplan there is and sulking in your chair hoping things change (naming no names 😂).

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not sure if this was discussed but after Brighton scored and were getting a little joy down our right flank Emery switched things around and played Kamara in defence to add some solidity.

Cash was pushed up to right side of midfield and this allowed us to re-balance and get hold of the ball a bit more, Villa then took control of the game.

I recall this also happened earlier in the season for a short period of a game (PL?) where Kamara was used in the right-side of defence.

Professor Emery indeed.

It allows us the ability to use McGinn on the right in settled build up and push Cash forward to maximize his talents. When Bailey or Traore plays, they typically take the wide right position but with them unavailable or not selected, it allows McGinn to play in his preferred position but let’s him drift inside to the double pivot and pushes Cash forward. 

Kamara, too, at that back 3, is a better natural distributor than Cash in the same role so you maximize 3 roles - McGinn on the right drifting in, Kamara breaking up play and distributing, Cash making runs in behind to cut the ball back into the 6

Edited by DJBOB

On 02/10/2023 at 14:26, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it should be the next bit of cover, for Kamara....Its a position, where injuries are rife, and his form is critical to the wellbeing of the team.

He is the engine room, and the catalyst for the team's good form.....That position No6 has to be maintained as a priority.

We need quality cover there, in order to sustain/ maintain our progress.

Not that big of a stretch to call us one of the best teams in the world when the game allows us to be direct with a ton of transitions. The squad is built for that sort of game, we were good at it under Smith and we've exponentially improved under Emery. But we still have a very nasty habit of struggling to break down any half-decent low block (been the case for years). Need more recruitment on that front to change that, as it's a potential Achilles heel.

It feels weird as it means we almost play to the level of the team we're up against. Our Conference League run might end up feeling easier provided we advance through the group stages and started playing better teams.

Edited by wishywashy

Unai tried something different that I haven’t seen from his Villa side in the second half.

I think all of us know at this point that our rotation squad isn’t great. But outside of Dendoncker and Tielemans not being the best double pivot, we have a continued trend of being vexed by these low blocks. Palace, Legia, Everton cup, and first half Mostar all had the same feel. Too slow, too ponderous. 

But I think teams have cottoned onto our build up and are using this combination to stifle it. A narrow 442 or 541 mid block, engaging us at the halfway line. Pack the middle so that we can’t get the ball into the half spaces and force isolated 1v1s out wide. Importantly. Do not drop too far back and keep the back line out of the box. 

It compresses the pitch from the halfway line to the top of their box, and funnels us out wide. 

This is from the first half below and is a typical set up from us. Look how compressed and tight it is around the double pivot. The 5 at the back and 4 in the midfield for Mosart means we can’t create any overloads. They funnel the ball out wide where Digne crosses from deep or Bailey has to beat 2-3 markers just to get a cross in. 

Zaniolo and McGinn have markers all around them and they are collapsed on if we manage to thread the ball in. Against an opponent off the pace, it might work but against teams that are defending with high intensity, it’s unlikely to work. 

fc6b80de-7726-41b3-a801-bd3c7f818b97.jpeg

• Thanks 3

In the second half, Unai finally switched to something different and changed to a 3-1 build up and pushed Tielemans far right and up the pitch, creating an overload on the right side with Cash. Look how wide Tielemans is in the picture below.

We proceeded to relentlessly attack down this side while giving Bailey on the left a few precious seconds to attack his marker before getting double teamed. 

This is taking a page out of what Liverpool and Newcastle did to us. Vacating the middle and creating flank overloads that shifted our lines across.

This change allowed us to enter their final third more consistently and generate more opportunities. Yes - we had better players on - chiefly Dougie who can pick a pass and dictate the tempo. But I hope we use these wide overloads more against teams that have been defending our usual build up well. 

a6fb096d-1c86-4016-9177-212116e101f9.jpeg

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm certain if Buendia was fit he'd have bagged a couple more already this season. We've not got anyone threading those balls through the middle right now. Our forwards get stifled when we can't get down the wings. 

I'm sure Unai will sort that and he'll start bagging even more regularly. 

Yep, we miss his creativity as well as his energy, drive and pressing.

Because of how poor Dendoncker and Tielemans have been, I’m thinking we could play a 3 man midfield with either Luiz (excellent passer) or McGinn (has gotten better at creating chances) most advanced, with Kamara focussing on the defensive role. We have wide forwards or wingers but our midfield depth isn’t looking as great as it might have appeared… 

John helping out centrally might be a good idea because we have little beyond the class of Luiz and Kamara… he did surprisingly well there last season when Bouba was injured.

Tielemans needs to kick on but has annoyed me tbh with his performances so far. Far too slow and careless, not up to the pace at all…

Leander will be gone asap I think. We need more energy and agility in midfield, maybe Tim can help out, but also defensive prowess as Kamara cannot be relied on to always or solely take on that burden.

Diaby, Zaniolo, Traore and Bailey can all help Ollie with chances and goals…

Still such a shame that JJ and Moreno are out… we are a completely different and much more dangerous side with those two there. Alex creates a lot and assisted Ollie a few times last season…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Yep, we miss his creativity as well as his energy, drive and pressing.

Because of how poor Dendoncker and Tielemans have been, I’m thinking we could play a 3 man midfield with either Luiz (excellent passer) or McGinn (has gotten better at creating chances) most advanced, with Kamara focussing on the defensive role. We have wide forwards or wingers but our midfield depth isn’t looking as great as it might have appeared… 

John helping our centrally might be a good idea because we have little beyond the class of Luiz and Kamara… he did surprisingly well there last season when Bouba was injured.

Tielemans needs to kick on but has annoyed me tbh with his performances so far.

Leander will be gone asap I think. We need more energy and agility in midfield, maybe Tim can help out, but also defensive prowess as Kamara cannot be relied on to always or solely take on that burden.

Diaby, Zaniolo, Traore and Bailey can all help Ollie with chances and goals…

Still such a shame that JJ and Moreno are out… we are a completely different and much more dangerous side with those two there. Alex creates a lot and assisted Ollie a few times last season…

McGinn has got better at creating chances? Not sure.

Â