Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

10 minutes ago, Thug said:

In the villa dressing room…

Gerrard ‘okhay lads, we’re gonna attakh them with our full-bachs.  They won’t know what hit them’

Meanwhile in the Palace dressing room…

Vieira: ‘they’re going to attack with their fullbacks who will be out of position the whole time.  As soon as we get the ball off them, smack it into their fullback area where Zaha will be standing ready for a 1 v 1 against their centre back who’s been shit for 6 months.’

A0E6AA6A-81F4-44FD-8CA3-38C8B8B5C506.jpeg

To be fair, this is the first thing our scouting report would have pointed out. That goal just has to be on the players. They failed utterly to cut out the cross. 

11 minutes ago, Thug said:

Gerrard ‘okhay lads, we’re gonna attakh them with our full-bachs.  They won’t know what hit them’

Vieira: ‘they’re going to attack with their fullbacks who will be out of position the whole time.  As soon as we get the ball off them, smack it into their fullback area where Zaha will be standing ready for a 1 v 1 against their centre back who’s been shit for 6 months.’

It really was that simple. 

13 minutes ago, Thug said:

Ahh great, now you've left everyone know how to beat us. 😜

2 minutes ago, daft said:

To be fair, this is the first thing our scouting report would have pointed out. That goal just has to be on the players. They failed utterly to cut out the cross. 

image.gif.cc305f640aaf022d61b5d3b4dbe87df6.gif

1 minute ago, daft said:

Yes I am. Seriously, if they watched their game last week they would have seen that was the game plan. Players need to step up as well.

Mate it’s the managers job to tell them what they should be doing.

And the first thing he should have been saying is ‘Zaha is on fire.  We can’t afford to leave him with a one on one against Konsa’

if not before the game, then surely after he saw Palace repeatedly exploit that weakness you’d think he’d plug that gap!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thug said:

Newcastle used that tactic with ASM today against Man City....so its not unique to us....they just have better players elsewhere, to cope.

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

Mate it’s the managers job to tell them what they should be doing.

And the first thing he should have been saying is ‘Zaha is on fire.  We can’t afford to leave him with a one on one against Konsa’

if not before the game, then surely after he saw Palace repeatedly exploit that weakness you’d think he’d plug that gap!

I know. I am not absolving him of anything. I am saying these guys are grown ass footballers. Even if he didn't say it, I guarantee 100% that our pre-game tactics session with the analytics team would have pointed this out so they could be prepared. It's a multi part failure. The manager doesn't remote control players, and it's obvious his system, whatever it is, isn't clicking. But some basic stuff should be obvious even for a footballer.

Granted, mistakes happen, it's part of the game. But that ball was their main plan the week before and we IMMEDIATELY fall for it. That is poor by everyone involved.  

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Newcastle used that tactic with ASM today against Man City....so its not unique to us....they just have better players elsewhere, to cope.

It is a very, very common philosophy. People here make it sound like it's some weird novelty. It's just poorly implemented by Gerrard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daft said:

I know. I am not absolving him of anything. I am saying these guys are grown ass footballers. Even if he didn't say it, I guarantee 100% that our pre-game tactics session with the analytics team would have pointed this out so they could be prepared. It's a multi part failure. The manager doesn't remote control players, and it's obvious his system, whatever it is, isn't clicking. But some basic stuff should be obvious even for a footballer.

Granted, mistakes happen, it's part of the game. But that ball was their main plan the week before and we IMMEDIATELY fall for it. That is poor by everyone involved.  

Vieira did his homework.

Gerrard clearly did not.

Cash should’ve been told to stick to Zaha, never mind running up field to put in a shit cross.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daft said:

It is a very, very common philosophy. People here make it sound like it's some weird novelty. It's just poorly implemented by Gerrard.

Lol, the point is it’s NOT a weird novelty. It’s just basics.  We got repeatedly done by a basic tactic.  You’re just not getting that point!

Zaha >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Konsa

You can’t leave those two to battle it out

edit: apologies, you clearly do get the point.

Edited by Thug
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Vieira did his homework.

Gerrard clearly did not.

Cash should’ve been told to stick to Zaha, never mind running up field to put in a shit cross.

I think it's even worse to be honest. I think we did the homework, got caught flat footed by implementing the wrong answer and then failed utterly to adapt. That is real bad.

• Like 3

Just now, Thug said:

Lol, the point is it’s NOT a weird novelty. It’s just basics.  We got repeatedly done by a basic tactic.  You’re just not getting that point!

No, people keep harping on using the full backs for width. That isn't weird in and of itself. I can clearly see what the issue is myself. The meme-like quality of the complaint is what is grating me. 

• Like 1

Just now, daft said:

No, people keep harping on using the full backs for width. That isn't weird in and of itself. I can clearly see what the issue is myself. The meme-like quality of the complaint is what is grating me. 

Yh sorry, I read your reply after I posted that. I’ve edited my post.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thug said:

Vieira did his homework.

Gerrard clearly did not.

Mate.

Even the podcasts spoke about the exact same issue previous to the match.

I refuse to believe they didn't know Palace tactics.

What's worse is knowing and doing nothing about it.

Our setup was always going to be low hanging fruit for that Palace tactic.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

Eddie Howe, struggled, for a few months, until he had a good Jan Window....signing pragmatic players......The physicality and intensity, has raised the confidence levels, thats the knock on effect it has.

He made a couple of good signings, however that front 3 that caused endless issues for city today were also there under Steve Bruce. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He made a couple of good signings, however that front 3 that caused endless issues for city today were also there under Steve Bruce. 

Yeah but what I think TRO is trying to say is that the general physicality that those signings brought has given Newcastle the platform to improve other areas of their game - they’re not a team of thugs like Stoke or Wimbledon were, but they don’t allow teams to bully them like we allow ourselves to, and now they have the confidence to go and play decent football against top sides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Nope.

They have a better manager that has them organised.

Howe has embarrassed Gerrard since they were both appointed.

Gerrard should go to League Two and learn his trade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

Yeah but what I think TRO is trying to say is that the general physicality that those signings brought has given Newcastle the platform to improve other areas of their game - they’re not a team of thugs like Stoke or Wimbledon were, but they don’t allow teams to bully them like we allow ourselves to, and now they have the confidence to go and play decent football against top sides.

I think that does a huge disservice to what Howe has accomplished there. It's not just down to signing some physical players. 

Â