Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

A few things I’ve noticed in our games, we would win the ball back through an interception and potentially have a counter attacking chance but just stop and allow the team to get back.

We jog around a lot and I’ve been taking the piss out of Man Utd because of it but we do the same shit.

We are not only weak mentally but physically as well. 

We don’t play for each other and i said this towards the end of Smiths tenure, maybe it’s a sign of things to come sooner than later. Off the pitch I can imagine the players get on well with each other but on it, it’s like we are strangers. 

I also mentioned Palace ability to knock the ball over the top and for our full backs to stay home instead of bombing forward, yet time and time again Digne and Cash were getting abused by it. 

Totally agree.

Sadly, I think we have parallels with Man U......sure they are a bigger club, so the problems are more magnified....but I think we have similar issues.

I think its fair to say, we simply don't know the politics, mood in the camp, the warts 'n all.....but It smells to me.

You say, we jog around, we do, we are game to be dispossessed and challenged.......The press is a half soaked, semi press.....all the tell tale signs are in our play, laid out , before our eyes.

Ps Right now the way we play......full backs look Dog Breath.

Its a downright mess.

• Like 2

I want Gerrard to succeed but the criticisms are spot on. Its just nuts we are 3 games in after a full pre season and we still dont play our full backs as full backs and we have no central midfield.

I also think dropping Ings was crazy. Since when do you drop your main striker after he scores the winning goal ffs?

I've said it before but look at teams that would envy the squad we have on paper that get so much more out of what they have. All of Potter, Marsch and Howe have been ridiculed by Villa fans but we would be an entirely different team with any of them coaching us. And that's just from teams that have performed well today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I've said it before but look at teams that would envy the squad we have on paper that get so much more out of what they have. All of Potter, Marsch and Howe have been ridiculed by Villa fans but we would be an entirely different team with any of them coaching us. And that's just from teams that have performed well today.

I keep reading this about the squad but I fail to see apart from maybe coutinho ings and martinez all on paper...who would anyone else want.

Don't get me wrong....the team should be better but to say we are the envy of most teams cannot be true.

Better coaching would make us slightly better...and thats on Gerrard..shape...a philosophy...I agree.

But a lot of our problems are down to 'basics' trap a ball...pass a ball....movement...something which gerrard cant legislate once the game kicks off...hence who would want a player who struggles to do the 'basics'

It's just an opinion 🤷‍♂️👍

39 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

I keep reading this about the squad but I fail to see apart from maybe coutinho ings and martinez all on paper...who would anyone else want.

I think someone like Potter (or any other competant manager) would be able to get a squad containing the likes of Buendia, Luiz, Cash, Digne, Ings etc. comfortably into the top half of the table

45 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Don't get me wrong....the team should be better but to say we are the envy of most teams cannot be true.

Better coaching would make us slightly better...and thats on Gerrard..shape...a philosophy...I agree.

But a lot of our problems are down to 'basics' trap a ball...pass a ball....movement...something which gerrard cant legislate once the game kicks off...hence who would want a player who struggles to do the 'basics'

It's just an opinion 🤷‍♂️👍

Same. I just think we tend to over-rate our lads. I had the same feeling during pre-season after missing most of last season.

10 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Gerrard's team is just a mess. It's time for him to show us he is capable of sorting the team out or get sacked.

Indeed our shape is weird, but do remember that average position isn't the best way to judge our shape as it is an average of each players event throughout the game. No off the ball events or positions are usually recorded unless specified. Heatmaps are probably better I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daft said:

Same. I just think we tend to over-rate our lads. I had the same feeling during pre-season after missing most of last season.

I think we do at times. However, Martinez is viewed as a top keeper. Cash is now an international. Digne has been a top player in this league. Arsenal wanted Buendia. Bailey was seen as a big signing. Ings is proven quality. Coutinho was the most expensive signing in world football a few years ago. Kamara is one of the most highly rated young midfield players in Europe. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, daft said:

Indeed our shape is weird, but do remember that average position isn't the best way to judge our shape as it is an average of each players event throughout the game. No off the ball events or positions are usually recorded unless specified. Heatmaps are probably better I think.

I doubt the heat map would look much different. 

TBH you don't need maps and charts. It's obvious when you see us play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Totally agree.

Sadly, I think we have parallels with Man U......sure they are a bigger club, so the problems are more magnified....but I think we have similar issues.

I think its fair to say, we simply don't know the politics, mood in the camp, the warts 'n all.....but It smells to me.

You say, we jog around, we do, we are game to be dispossessed and challenged.......The press is a half soaked, semi press.....all the tell tale signs are in our play, laid out , before our eyes.

Ps Right now the way we play......full backs look Dog Breath.

Its a downright mess.

It's because we lack clear ideas in each phase of the game. The lads looks for their teammates instead of passing to where the KNOW they are. 

They look uncomfortable and like they ar straining to implement something they don't understand. As a consequence they constantly have to think on their feet which slows them down and hampers decision making. There could be a multitude of reasons as to why.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I doubt the heat map would look much different. 

TBH you don't need maps and charts. It's obvious when you see us play. 

Agreed. I am not arguing that we have good shape, just that the average position chart needs to be used with some caution in regards to shape. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I think someone like Potter (or any other competant manager) would be able to get a squad containing the likes of Buendia, Luiz, Cash, Digne, Ings etc. comfortably into the top half of the table

Eddie Howe, struggled, for a few months, until he had a good Jan Window....signing pragmatic players......The physicality and intensity, has raised the confidence levels, thats the knock on effect it has.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Eddie Howe, struggled, for a few months, until he had a good Jan Window....signing pragmatic players......The physicality and intensity, has raised the confidence levels, thats the knock on effect it has.

And quite frankly, as much as I like Potter's ideas, we have no idea what he needs to recreate his successes here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daft said:

And quite frankly, as much as I like Potter's ideas, we have no idea what he needs to recreate his successes here. 

Precisely.

• Like 1

Â