Midweek Football 1/4 March

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's just not happening for Werner in a Chelsea jersey

First season, he has all the attributes to succeed, some take longer to get it right than others.

Some might even suit another system/team better altogether.

I like him.

Just now, Zatman said:

well he isnt scoring so he is not contributing, his own fans hate him

Top goal scorer in the Premier League still. i think you need to look at the other two more. They have had poor seasons

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" Figure of ridicule " ? Only by bitter Villa fans who were throwing tantrums about Jack not being in the squad or starting when they wanted him to IMO. 😂

The lad has always been a good player. I've mentioned before, a section of our fanbase are simply loathe to accept that there are other very good, young English Midfielders/Attackers around.

They feel the only way to " Big Jack up " is by putting the others down.

I've seen similar with the likes of Foden and Maddison in the past from Villa fans as well

Haha I’m sure we made up our fair share!

But he undoubtedly gets/got a lot of stick and memes about being Lampards pet etc and Southgate shoehorning him into conversations didn’t help him either. They were a lot of people delighted Tuchel dropped him at first also but he’s arguably now established himself as one of the first names on the team sheet.

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" Figure of ridicule " ? Only by bitter Villa fans who were throwing tantrums about Jack not being in the squad or starting when they wanted him to IMO. 😂

The lad has always been a good player. I've mentioned before, a section of our fanbase are simply loathe to accept that there are other very good, young English Midfielders/Attackers around.

I've seen similar with the likes of Foden and Maddison in the past from Villa fans as well

It was hardly just Villa fans!

It was EVERYONE because Gareth Southgate used Mount as a reason to not pick Grealish and kept saying it in public because he's a moron.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Played right in to southgates hands, the media fell for the narrative and the fans lapped it up

It should never be grealish vs Mount or foden or maddison... It should be stop playing 5 at the back you boring shit fraud of a manager 

Mount and Grealish are not the same player, both of them are great players and should work well together, both should start at the euros along with foden in there too, play 4-2-3-1 and Mount is the best CM we have

Instead we'll have a back 5, rice and Henderson, Maguire in the free role at CB pushing up and getting plaudits for being comfortable on the ball as he dicks about on the half way line where the opposition let him have it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a m ole said:

FOUR AT THE BACK
        Henderson  

Mount Maddison

Foden Kane Grealish

England should be building on that, with Phillips likely to come in and replace Henderson after the next tourny.

Bench Sterling. Are you mad? 

I would go with

....................Pope.....................

James..Maguire..Stones..Shaw

..............Henderson..Rice..........

Sterling...........Mount........Grealish

.......................Kane........................

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’s been nothing special for a few months now.

A great impact player to come off the bench. 

Then why does he start games for City and not Foden? 

9 goals 5 assist are by now means crap 

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Then why does he start games for City and not Foden? 

I’m not sure, they are different types of players so down to Pep’s choice. Sterling is a great player too but I’d personally hold him back as an impact sub in an England setup.

• Like 1

It was a hard choice but Sterling is also better on the left, although you’d be looking at a ridiculously fluid attack with those players so it wouldn’t matter as much. I’m always going to choose Grealish first.

Also I’m thinking about the future rather than the just this summer, and Foden is the real deal. Having said that it would also depend on the opposition, its a nice choice to have. Sterling, Sancho or Rashford could replace any of Foden Maddison or Jack for a more direct style or Rice in against top teams.

I think it’s pretty universally agreed on though (except by the one guy that matters) that the most important thing is we don’t waste a spot on a third centre back or a second DM.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a m ole said:

FOUR AT THE BACK
        Henderson  

Mount Maddison

Foden Kane Grealish

England should be building on that, with Phillips likely to come in and replace Henderson after the next tourny.

That midfield would get so overrun it's ridiculous.  No power or bite whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

That midfield would get so overrun it's ridiculous.  No power or bite whatsoever. 

I hate that phrase, but either way against who? against the best teams in the world we might need more defensive central midfielders, in which case you swap one of them out for Rice or Phillips or both and drop Henderson.

That midfield would be more than strong enough against most sides.

17 hours ago, a m ole said:

FOUR AT THE BACK
        Henderson  

Mount Maddison

Foden Kane Grealish

Rice instead of Henderson. Hes been really solid this season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Rice instead of Henderson. Hes been really solid this season. 

Same

I think Henderson retires from international football after the Euros, something about him, lots of niggly injuries and not doing a fat lot 

I don't rate rice on the ball in games vs the likes of San marino where we'll have 60%+ but in the tournament he'll be a big player for us 

Â