If Barry left, would you 'boo' him on his return ?

BOF

What would you do?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• I would boo him til my throat was sore
    • I would clap him, he will always have my respect
    • I would stay silent

1977 wrote:

Quote:

Pure abuse from me, im sorry but he would be a bigger judas than Yorke if he **** off to the pool, plain and simple.

Rubbish. He would get applause from me, without question. Why should he get anything else?

I remember when Southgate came back for his first game after he joined Boro. He stood in the middle of the pitch at the final whistle and applauded all foru sides of the ground(just like when he was at Villa). I stood and applauded back.

A good pro who gives many years to one club is a rarity and deserves respect.

For the following reasons -

1.) Everything he wanted when he resigned MON has provided, leaving now would be a slap in the face not only to MON but the fans also.

2.) He plays regular football here, as our captain and starts for England as a consequence.

3.) He knows the plans and ideas of MON and Randy Lerner so leaving us to play for a direct rival, someone we intend to be challenging as soon as possible, would be unacceptable.

4.) He would be playing for the opposition team why would you applaud him and aid him/massage his ego while he is trying to beat us!?

If he went to any of the top three i wouldn't be as bothered because they are a step above Liverpool and more than likely they could offer us the money he is worth, the money we want for him rather than try and rip us off like that fat word removed benitez.

Yeah Barry is a great servant to this club but the only way he leaves us is if he breaks his contract and demands a move which would make him a massive judas, especially when you take reasons1-3 into account. If he does that then i couldn't forgive him.

kkr. That is a much more reasonable debate that your original rant. All of your points are relevant and I agree with them.

Still the question was whether I would boo or applaud Barry and after the amount of years and games he has played he does not deserve to be booed.

No. I don’t boo Southgate either which I think was a similar case as I also thought that was a genuine move for ambition and he respected our club. I think if Barry moves it is purely for footballing reasons, albeit ones I disagree with. I also think he will speak highly of us and will have given us a great ten years.

If he did anything Yorke did – ie start the season yet put in the worst performance ever seen, make a huge song and dance about refusing to continue to play for the club, kiss the badge at his new club in front of us or start to slag off our club in the media I would boo him. However I am confident if he leaves it will be with a heavy heart, a lot of praise for our club and all in all a very dignified exit. If this is the case I will actively clap him on his return

100% agree.

Depends totally on what reasons he gave for going and how he speaks of the club and MON.

I'd imagine he'd be the type to be very respectful, but then again I also imagine he would be the type to choose to be a Villa legend over Liverpool bit part, so we will see...

kkr. That is a much more reasonable debate that your original rant. All of your points are relevant and I agree with them.

Still the question was whether I would boo or applaud Barry and after the amount of years and games he has played he does not deserve to be booed.

That's fair enough and your opinion. If Gareth Barry leaves Aston Villa for Liverpool football club though it will be because he has broken his contract and openly stated his desire to move on and for such a long serving individual, who is the current captain to do that, well imo that would be unforgivable.

Applaud.

I don't want him to go to Liverpool, but I understand his reasons for going. Liverpool are a ready-made Champions league outfit and they know how to progress to the later stages.

Villa might be Champions League participants in three years, but, by this time, Barry will be thirty. He's already used up ten years of his career at Villa and has nothing to show for it.

Playing in the Champions League is what many footballers aspire to and, if he stays here, he might get a shot at it in 10/11. If he goes to Anfield, he could be playing at the Bernabeau/Nou Camp/San Siro as early as next season.

I don't understand how anyone could boo him.

As many have said, yes if he made a song and dance about going and slagged us off etc, then that would be fair enough.

The fact is, he hasn't said he wants to go, he hasn't made a fuss about it, and i THINK he's probably genuinely torn about going. To be honest, fans saying things such as "**** off Barry and die" etc when he hasn't even said he wants to go probably isn't swaying his decision in our favour!

If he leaves because he wants to play Champions League football or he wants to cement his place in the england squad (whether it's the correct decision or not) I for one could not bring myself to boo a man who has pulled on the shirt and given 100% as many times as he has.

Anyone who booed him outside of the circumstances I described would, imo, just be bitter and nothing else.

How could I boo someone who left after 10 years service, an exemplary professional and downright good egg. Even Cahill got a chant when he came back. Just because he scored one wonder goal. I think Barry has done a bit more for us than that

What did Barry do (or is it about to do maybe) that Melberg didn't. They both want to play at the highest level. Put yourself in the players shoes. We´re not talking about a former holte ender here. It is his career. If you think a player should remain loyal then maybe he should have stayed at Brighton. Is no-one permitted to leave?

What did Barry do (or is it about to do maybe) that Melberg didn't.

Well Barry would have to break his contract to go and join a direct rival and one we want to be challenging in coming seasons where as Olof saw out his contact and is moving abroad.

There really is a whole lot of a difference between Barry potentially leaving and Mellberg leaving.

Played 10 years for us, quite high up on our appearance list, genuine bloke. At least he's not done an Henry "I'm staying, blah blah blah" then **** off, he's admitted he's thinking it over, so he's honest. We'd also get a fortune for him.

For those that would boo him, surely Mellberg will receive the same treatment, yes? Played less games, left on a free. Surely that's worse! But even he's a legend.

You lot make me sick. Leaving us now to go to Liverpool would be the most traitorous thing anyone has ever done to this club. I will boo him forever, even if he became a coach or a manager. I will never forgive such treachery.

You lot make me sick. Leaving us now to go to Liverpool would be the most traitorous thing anyone has ever done to this club. I will boo him forever, even if he became a coach or a manager. I will never forgive such treachery.

Mellberg beats him, comfortabley. Left on a free of all things, didn't even get anything for him!

Mellberg gave the best years of his career to us and saw out his contract and left for another country because he could never come back to Villa Park as an opposing player.

Mellberg is a legend. Barry will be scum if he leaves for a direct Rival and competes to keep us out of the Champions League.

Luckily for me, due to your comments as of late, your opinion now means less to me than a baked potato's.

He is joint 11th on our all time list. Joint 11th.

That is a hell of a record.

He has not given us one ounce of a problem since he has been here. He had always been a gifted utility player that has

now blossomed into a central midfielder for England. He has not asked for a transfer. He has not slagged us off.

If a player like that can be booed, then god help the rest of them.

The fact that he has two years left on his contract is irrelevant.Also the fans who hate Liverpool cannot use that as an excuse to hate Barry.

I think I summed it up perfectly in my mail in the F365 mailbox this afternoon.

Gareth Barry has been at Villa for ten years, but for most of that time he has been a promising young centre-back, then an average left-back, then an okay left-winger and finally in the last 18 months a quality central midfielder. His loyalty has been tested once, when he looked to be off (and rightly so) in the final dark days of O'Leary's reign at Villa Park. Mooted clubs we Pompey and Spurs. But then Martin O'Neill came in and convinced him that he had big plans at Villa and he wanted Barry to be a part of them. So I'd be near certain that whatever plan of progress O'Neill had we have definitely met in achieving sixth place in his second year. O'Neill continually stated that Barry would get into the England squad, it was only a matter of time before his consistent performances got noticed. The fans have sung 'Barry for England' all season, and we were proud of him when he received the praise he deserved for his England performances. He has become a regular in the England team as captain of Aston Villa.

So the second test of loyalty has come. The first time it was only a small test, go to Pompey or stay at Aston Villa with a Billionaire owner, as captain, working with Martin O'Neill. Not a hard decision really. But now Liverpool are interested, they play regularly in the Champions League. So it's decision time, forget any talk of Barry staying loyal for ten years, no other club wanted him for eight of those ten years. It's not staying loyal when no other club is interested.

This is where his real loyalty will really be tested. Martin O'Neill has definitely delivered on the promises he made to Barry two years ago. So the question is if Barry wants to turn his back on the manager who made him the player he is today, turn his back on the fans who has sung 'Barry for England', to join our direct rivals for Champions League qualification, to compete against us and stop us achieving that goal. To work for a manager lacking even a shred of class, to work for a club with embarrassing bickering owners, to a club where you're just another player.

If he wants to betray this club by doing that, the hatred harboured against him by Villa fans will be unheard of. He will become probably the most hated ex-player ever. Ten years of life at Villa for nothing. He was supposed to lead this Villa team back to days of glory not betray us. The irony is he wants to join his friend Gerrard who was all but gone to Chelsea before realising there's more to life than winning the Premier League, he stayed with the club he loves and he is a legend there.

Barry's decision now, stay and seal you legend status or betray us, go to Liverpool and your ten years at Villa become nothing.

Conor Byrne, AVFC, Dublin

Â