Homophobia in Football

villa4europe

Thought id start a thread on this as we have the racism thread running too and its the time of the year where the club and players are supporting the cause by wearing rainbow laces

the club changed their social media profile pic to this - 

129738083_3823547974355910_5721485666864100547_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=2&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=RzA8mlvpxbUAX_O1Vl9&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.xx&oh=cf6ea7482102d7c0881300551b8231e6&oe=5FF0F283

its currently sat at 3.1k likes, 600 hundred loves and 3k angry faces, i'll be honest and say reading through some of the comments i haven't seen many that are ridiculously homophobic from old fashioned previous generation types, there's quite a few that you can attribute to fans of trezeguet in particular

my stance on homophobia in football hasnt really changed over the years - 

"get up you poof" is IMO still largely accepted within grounds and it'll be interesting to see if that ever does move towards being treated the same way as a racial slur would be, i think we're a long way off a fan being called out on that by another fan

i disagree with the notion that there are 500 footballers in the PL, 1.2% of the country is gay therefore at least 6 of them must be gay, i understand the logic but dont think its that simple

and then what really grinds my gears...the suggestion that any player who is gay is fearful of coming out because football fans are neanderthal assholes, the reaction of the crowd and football fans in general would be nothing compared to the words removed from the sun and other red tops invading their privacy, its the near inevitable life ruining crusade of intrusion from the media that i think is the main reason no one has come out

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Thought id start a thread on this as we have the racism thread running too and its the time of the year where the club and players are supporting the cause by wearing rainbow laces

the club changed their social media profile pic to this - 

129738083_3823547974355910_5721485666864100547_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=2&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=RzA8mlvpxbUAX_O1Vl9&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.xx&oh=cf6ea7482102d7c0881300551b8231e6&oe=5FF0F283

its currently sat at 3.1k likes, 600 hundred loves and 3k angry faces, i'll be honest and say reading through some of the comments i haven't seen many that are ridiculously homophobic from old fashioned previous generation types, there's quite a few that you can attribute to fans of trezeguet in particular

my stance on homophobia in football hasnt really changed over the years - 

"get up you poof" is IMO still largely accepted within grounds and it'll be interesting to see if that ever does move towards being treated the same way as a racial slur would be, i think we're a long way off a fan being called out on that by another fan

i disagree with the notion that there are 500 footballers in the PL, 1.2% of the country is gay therefore at least 6 of them must be gay, i understand the logic but dont think its that simple

and then what really grinds my gears...the suggestion that any player who is gay is fearful of coming out because football fans are neanderthal assholes, the reaction of the crowd and football fans in general would be nothing compared to the words removed from the sun and other red tops invading their privacy, its the near inevitable life ruining crusade of intrusion from the media that i think is the main reason no one has come out

In relation to your last paragraph you only have to look at the chants aimed at Matt Upson by a large number of our own fans and the chants aimed at Brighton fans week in week out to realise that there is still an issue with regards to homphobia in football.

Admittedly the Upson chants were a while ago now and I'd like to think that there would be widespread condemnation of similar chants aimed at a player today. We're probably a little way off treating homophobia in the same way as racism but as society becomes more aware of LGBT issues you'd like to think that homophobic abuse will naturally become less frequent.

With regards to the number of gay footballers in the Premier League obviously using a 1.2% calculation over such a small sample size is very simplistic. I would have thought it extremely likely that there are gay footballers in the Premier League but would argue that it shouldn't really matter in this debate anyway. The fact that our own Thomas Hitzlsperger only felt comfortable in coming out once he had finished playing professional football shows that there is an issue (at least in the player's eyes).

My overall feeling is that it'd be nice if we didn't even need to have this conversation. Why should it matter if a player is gay and if said player chooses to come out it should be treated as the non-story it is. It'd be nice for there to be a role model in football for the LGBT society and doubtless the emphasis on this with regards to the first player to choose to come out would be high. It'd be nice to live in a world where people could be themselves without fear of suffering abuse for it.

• Like 1

I do think clubs are trying to be more inclusive but still a long way to go. The idiots on social media is the same for all sports, ive seen NHL posts with similar comments and they werent Egyptian posters

The abuse Rapinoe received last year was horrible at times and will probably not encourage high profile players in the future

Sadly I find it hard to imagine things changing any time soon.  People can't choose who they love, people can choose who they hate and there will always be a significant number of people who will want to hurl abuse of all kinds at football matches.  I half wonder what these morons use as their outlet now they can't turn up at 3pm on a Saturday to take out their miserable lives on footballers and referees.  Probably their wives and kids, maybe even their secret gay lover in some cases.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The abuse Rapinoe received last year was horrible at times and will probably not encourage high profile players in the future

Rapinoe is a proper can of worms, she's an opinionated american lesbian woman, those 4 are a recipe for disaster in football, if she was black then twitter would have a meltdown

The way I see it, we're at the beginning of a long overdue change in attitude about inclusivity. Pride organisations for all sorts of clubs have started cropping up all over the place over the last few years. As they start to grow their platform, they'll start to have real influence. That's when we'll start to see positive change.

As for the response on social media to their show of support, I wonder if AVFC will put out any form of statement, or if Villa And Proud will contact them over it? I'd like to see something from the club about it.

6 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

In relation to your last paragraph you only have to look at the chants aimed at Matt Upson by a large number of our own fans and the chants aimed at Brighton fans week in week out to realise that there is still an issue with regards to homphobia in football.

Admittedly the Upson chants were a while ago now and I'd like to think that there would be widespread condemnation of similar chants aimed at a player today. We're probably a little way off treating homophobia in the same way as racism but as society becomes more aware of LGBT issues you'd like to think that homophobic abuse will naturally become less frequent.

With regards to the number of gay footballers in the Premier League obviously using a 1.2% calculation over such a small sample size is very simplistic. I would have thought it extremely likely that there are gay footballers in the Premier League but would argue that it shouldn't really matter in this debate anyway. The fact that our own Thomas Hitzlsperger only felt comfortable in coming out once he had finished playing professional football shows that there is an issue (at least in the player's eyes).

My overall feeling is that it'd be nice if we didn't even need to have this conversation. Why should it matter if a player is gay and if said player chooses to come out it should be treated as the non-story it is. It'd be nice for there to be a role model in football for the LGBT society and doubtless the emphasis on this with regards to the first player to choose to come out would be high. It'd be nice to live in a world where people could be themselves without fear of suffering abuse for it.

Why would Brighton fans be singled out for abuse? 

I remember when it was Pride Month and the Twitter admin made a post about it and how Jack would be wearing a rainbow coloured armband etc. The comments were horrific. And there weren't many "Trezeguet fans" in there, they seemed to all be local. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I remember when it was Pride Month and the Twitter admin made a post about it and how Jack would be wearing a rainbow coloured armband etc. The comments were horrific. And there weren't many "Trezeguet fans" in there, they seemed to all be local. 

Trezegay, hehe

Sorry

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The Iranian fans are annoyed because apparently none of the games are shown in their country during the rainbow laces campaign. 

Excellent. We should wear them every game until their government backs down.

How backwards do you need to be to be triggered by some shoelaces.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Excellent. We should wear them every game until their government backs down.

How backwards do you need to be to be triggered by some shoelaces.

I'm sure not showing PL fixtures due to rainbow laces is specifically listed in the thousand year old book of children's stories that they base their beliefs on 

Â