VT Albums of the Year 2020

bickster

Well it's fast approaching that time of year.

Only albums first released in 2020 are eligible

It's a bit of an odd year for releases I guess but anyway... fire away

As many as you want, lists and top tens not a requirement

I shall be pondering on mine for a bit yet I think but the process is starting...

Tame Impala was the only "new" record I bought from this year and it was OK just didn't hit their heights

Its not out until next Friday but it'll be Arctic Monkeys live at the Royal Albert Hall 

2nd will be bombay bicycle clubs live album released the week after 

Surprised more bands haven't done it, foals went down the remix route which was nothing special, twang have done a re-release of their 1st album 

Track of the year has some pop songs in there for me which I then don't like the full album

Edit - best record I bought this year was the national high violet anniversary edition, clear vinyl with violet splatter, tis a thing of beauty 

Edited by villa4europe

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 4

This was recorded in November last year and was released about 2 weeks after George Floyd was killed, the lyrics are pretty **** frightening

The way I see it, you're probably freest from the ages one to four
Around the age of five you're shipped away for your body to be stored
They promise education, but really they give you tests and scores
And they predictin' prison population by who scoring the lowest
And usually the lowest scores the poorest and they look like me
And every day on evening news they feed you fear for free
And you so numb you watch the cops choke out a man like me
And 'til my voice goes from a shriek to whisper, "I can't breathe"

And you sit there in the house on couch and watch it on TV
The most you give's a Twitter rant and call it a tragedy
But truly the travesty, you've been robbed of your empathy
Replaced it with apathy

• Like 2

Its a slow year but Taylor Swifts Folklore has been strong, particularly Betty. 
Willie Nelsons First Rose of Spring was a joy. 
Luke Combs repackaged his second album and therefore What You See Aint Always What You Get has been the most played this year. 
That said Miley Cyrus has an album out I haven’t heard yet. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Tame Impala was the only "new" record I bought from this year and it was OK just didn't hit their heights

As it happens I listened to that earlier, turned it off after about 4 tracks. Amazingly dull, it's like Daft Punk covering '70s soft rock

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

As it happens I listened to that earlier, turned it off after about 4 tracks. Amazingly dull, it's like Daft Punk covering '70s soft rock

I would say there are maybe 3 tracks on there that would make it to a TI greatest hits, the rest just gets lost in the mire 

Also took me a long long time to get over the borderline re-edit, should have left it alone, sounds like he went back to it as a perfectionist and ended up smothering it 

Totally agree with the general disdain for the latest Tame Impala, how has he fallen so low after his initial stellar albums?? 

going to ponder my list - there are a few albums released this year I really do rate

Do EPs count? (I’ll probably add one for sure anyway!) 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not even the Dylan album?

FFS, why didn't anyone tell me?

I love him!

spacer.png

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

One man's EP is another man's mini-album

Or just plain album. I have a couple of so-called EPs that are over 40 minutes long. I think it's become the new word for a CD of outtakes/leftovers. 

To me, an EP is a glorified single - no more than four (at a pinch, five) tracks, total running time 15 minutes max. 35 minutes and up is an album. Anything in between is a mini album. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not even the Dylan album?

It's album of the year in several of the music monthlies. Emperor's new clothes, I'm afraid. I think it's OK, a couple of good tracks and a fair bit of 'meh'. I guess it would be my album of the year, but only by default, in an uninspiring year, 

Â