VT Albums of the Year 2020

bickster

Hmmm. Not bought as many albums this year. But more than I thought, on checking.

I don't tend to buy stuff I don't like, but it happens if I just pre-order because I like an artist.

Anyway:

I am Moron - The Lovely Eggs is probably my favourite this year, closely followed by

Anna Von Hausswollff - All thoughts Fly

then the others

Darkness Brings the Wonders Home - Smoke Fairies,

The experience of repetition as death - Clarice Jenson

Myopia - Agnes Obel

American Head - the Flaming Lips, 

Shortly After Takeoff - BC Camplight

The Makarrata Project - Midnight Oil

Dreamboat  - Luluc

and to make 10 that Denise Sherwood one @bickster put me on to - This Road

• Like 2

It appears I’ve only bought ten actual 2020 albums, and one of those is a re release of something from decades ago.

Hey, it’s been a tough year, a 20% pay cut for 8 months has taken a heavy toll.

But, for what it’s worth, here’s the list from Ty Chrispy

01: Ani Glass - Mirores

It’s No 1 because a, it’s that good, and b, it was my last gig, her album soft launch in front of 20 of us, back in March. Promo tour cancelled, van full of equipment and albums ready to go and I just felt so desperately sorry for her.

The rest are all in second place!

02: Juniore - Un Deux Trois

03 - Faten Kanaan - A Mythology Of Circles

04 - Richard Norris - Elements

05 - Baxter Dury - The Night Chancers

06 - Trees Speak - Ohms

07 - Trees Speak - Shadow Forms

08 - Causa Sui - Szabodelico

09 - Various - Kaleidoscope

10 - Roy Budd - OST The Internecine Project

So I just got to ten, by including a compilation album (a triple album of newish British jazz) and a re release of a soundtrack.

Not bad in the circumstances. It just meant I had to know I’d like it rather than taking some random punts.

according to discogs, one on that list is currently being offered at £120

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

according to discogs, one on that list is currently being offered at £120

I read something today that vinyl sales reached a 30 year peak this year as gig goers switched to buying vinyl in the lockdown

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I read something today that vinyl sales reached a 30 year peak this year as gig goers switched to buying vinyl in the lockdown

That would make sense, and I think actual run numbers of records have been reduced with nobody wanting to hold stock. So there have been a few things that if you haven’t pre ordered, you’re not getting a copy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Yeah not surprised

I would guess that's paired with CD sales decreasing again and streaming increasing

Vinyl just seems like a more collectable worthwhile purchase than a CD, the problem is the **** know it! I've bought probably around 20 records this year, maybe 5 of them at best are just bog standard black vinyl releases, it's been the extra £5 for the limited edition coloured vinyl, the re-release, the anniversary edition, the record store day special etc I think I've bought 4 live albums now this year, a 10 year and 20 year edition of old albums too I won't buy back to black though 

Not bought a CD in 3 years now, sold my collection

More are coming back to memory too -

bombay bicycle club can join tame Impala on the disappointing list

DMAs was pretty good, better than the 2nd one but I didn't listen to it anywhere near as much as the unplugged album, silver would be on a track of the year shortlist for me 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I won't buy back to black though

depends if you can catch something you like in a HMV sale or something, it's never going to be worth much but hey ho, you buy it for the tunes

For me it's doubtful I'd like much in the Back to Black releases but it does happen every now and again

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

depends if you can catch something you like in a HMV sale or something, it's never going to be worth much but hey ho, you buy it for the tunes

For me it's doubtful I'd like much in the Back to Black releases but it does happen every now and again

For me it takes a bit of the fun of record shopping away

If I go to a place and spend an hour looking around and I find a Bowie original I would rather run the risk on its condition than walk in to hmv and pick up the same record in perfect condition in and out in 5 minutes 

I like the idea of finding them

• Like 1

And talking of finding things in record shops reminded me that I picked up both Fontaines DC records in arnhem 

The new one was just OK, definitley a step down from the first album 

But at least it was better than idles which I found really disappointing, not sure what it was about it but it seemed to be lacking just about everything 

On finding records - I went to a record shop in dusseldorf for my birthday, they had every Arctic monkeys single on 7" I had to have a long chat myself about not collecting singles any more 

Edited by villa4europe

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

For me it takes a bit of the fun of record shopping away

If I go to a place and spend an hour looking around and I find a Bowie original I would rather run the risk on its condition than walk in to hmv and pick up the same record in perfect condition in and out in 5 minutes 

I like the idea of finding them

No I absolutely get that. As it happens I found out this week a Bowie 7" that I bought from a market stall in Mid-Wales a couple of years ago for £3 is worth over a tenner. The even wierder thing is its not the first pressing, which is worth less - go figure!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

More are coming back to memory too -

bombay bicycle club can join tame Impala on the disappointing list

DMAs was pretty good, better than the 2nd one but I didn't listen to it anywhere near as much as the unplugged album, silver would be on a track of the year shortlist for me 

I thought BBC’s was great.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And talking of finding things in record shops reminded me that I picked up both Fontaines DC records in arnhem 

The new one was just OK, definitley a step down from the first album 

But at least it was better than idles which I found really disappointing, not sure what it was about it but it seemed to be lacking just about everything 

Not a fan of either band tbh Fontaines gimmick if you like is the Dublin accent the rest in basic. Idles just don't do it for me either

Â