VT Albums of the Year 2020

bickster

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

I thought BBC’s was great.

I was properly hyped about it based on the singles and then it didn't push any buttons for me 

They're a good example of what corona has done this year though, released a new album, a load of demos, some eps and now a live album 

Hardcore is far from the only thing I've listened to this year, naturally. Representing the very as antithesis of it, and for want of a better phrase, my favourite 'easy listening' album of the year was

a0334701971_10.jpg

Widowspeak - Plum 

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Dool - Summerland 

Crippled Black Phoenix - Ellengæst

I Like Trains - Kompromat

Haven't listened to the new Crippled Black Phoenix album, but on a slightly related note as a former member, Joe Volk's new album released this year great

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

That album cover is straight out of the 70s - I love it! 

will check this out! 

So is the music (as you might expect, given that I like it). Bits of the Allman Brothers, J J Cale, Rod Stewart, Steely Dan... 

• Like 1

Right, I've pondered it over the weekend and here's the list. Mine is usually longer than this but I guess that reflects the year we've had

I don't own all of them but I believe the daughter and missus might find a list that magically appeared on the coffee table today rather useful

Sonic Boom – All Things Being Equal

Thurston Moore – By The Fire

Flaming Lips – American Head

Rose City Band – Summerlong

Wire – Mind Hive

African Head Charge - Churchical Chant Of The Iyabinghi

The Dream Syndicate - The Universe Inside

Denise Sherwood ‎– This Road

BC Camplight – Shortly After Take off

Cabaret Voltaire – Shadow of Fear

Juniore - Un, Deux, Trois

The Lovely Eggs – I am Moron

Frankie & The Witch Fingers - Monsters Eating People Eating Monsters

Hourable mentions for..

Agnes Obel - Myopia (good but no new territory here)

Mark Lanegan – Straight Songs of Sorrow (Again good but its missing a spark somewhere)

Bridgid Dawson and the Mothers Network – Ballet of Apes (Need more time with it)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Only heard this today after you posted it but I think I quite like it. Really like the Anika track at the end

It's really good. Found myself listening to it a lot. Sounds like it should be a German band though!

19 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's really good. Found myself listening to it a lot. Sounds like it should be a German band though!

Yes very and Anika just emphasises that, she released an album herself a few years back backed by Beak> (and on Geoff Barrow's Invada label), its very much if Nico was in a Krautrock band...

EDIt: I'm shocked, this was ten years ago

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Can’t believe I forgot to add Andy Bell - The View From Halfway Down

cracking album from the ex Ride and Oasis man (not the one from Erasure!) 

I quite liked that album too (didn't quite make my list though) but I don't think he's left Ride, this is just a solo project

Just now, bickster said:

I quite liked that album too (didn't quite make my list though) but I don't think he's left Ride, this is just a solo project

You’re probably right about not leaving Ride. 

I was expecting a similar sound so surprised it was quite loopy and electronic in places. 

I’ll keep it to 20, but it’s been a really good year for new stuff imo.

Solstafir - Endless Twilight of Codependent Love

Billy Nomates - Billy Nomates

Mr.Bungle - The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny

Mountain Goats - Getting Into Knives

Ghostmane - ANTI-ICON

Modern Technology - Service Provider

Crippled Black Phoenix - Ellengaest

Kvaen - The Funeral Pyre

Anaal Nathrakh - Endarkenment

IDLES - Ultra Mono

My Dying Bride - Ghost of Orion

Matt Berry - Phantom Birds

Pigs x 7 - Viscerals

Alex Albert - I vs I

Ho99o9 - Blurr

Eluvium - Virga I

Turbowolf - The Free Life

Body Count - Carnivore

King Dude - Full Virgo Moon

Poppy - I Disagree

The Ghostmane album is as of now my AOTY.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

You can imagine my disappointment when I gave it a blast and it wasn’t. 

I'd have been happy with a good country-rock album, but it's a good blues-rock album, so no problem. 

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

With their stylistic-shift over the years, I've finally managed to sneak actually having some iLT playing at home.  My wife absolutely detests them, she thinks they're far too depressing, but she's only ever been subjected to the early stuff which is much more cinematic and... admittedly quite dour but such is the nature of the subject matter (Terra Nova in particular is one of my all time faves).  I've managed to successfully have Kompromat on without her realising who it actually is, which does further support my theory that once she's decided she doesn't like something musically, she becomes dogmatically entrenched.  She knows none of this, lest she withhold my enchiladas (which isn't sexual terminology or anything; every weekend she makes enchiladas that are so damn good that she can and does wield the power of making them like some disciplinary halberd).

Anywho, big fan of longstanding bands that start life in the post-rock oeuvre then gradually incorporate a more electronic or motorik aesthestic as they evolve (see also: Vessels).

Â