Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

340 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/20 at 22:59

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

to put our win down to a poor Liverpool performace is not on for me.

I certainly didn't do that

The combination of Villa being right at it, confident and playing well, and Liverpool defending (defence and midfield in particular) appallingly led to such a thrashing.

Or, as you said "its always a bit of both in my view"

So I think we're violently agreeing TRO :).

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

It's typical that cheery Alan Smith didn't get to commentate on it. He actually does well at hiding that he's a Villa fan.

I think I've heard him say that as a lad he was a Villa fan, but his allegiance, due to his career is to Arsenal.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I certainly didn't do that

Or, as you said "its always a bit of both in my view"

So I think we're violently agreeing TRO :).

I don't do violence pete🙃.....I just don't think Liverpool were that bad, pre lockdown last season we would have still been beaten imo.

Its early doors......but this team of ours is rejuvinated in a way that rattled them in to playing below par.....not the other way around......thats my view.

• Like 1

I think I've heard him say that as a lad he was a Villa fan, but his allegiance, due to his career is to Arsenal.

All those carefully archived pay slips say "Arsenal" on them too.

how some people get their heads turned.lol

Villa Forever.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

.I just don't think Liverpool were that bad, pre lockdown last season we would have still been beaten imo.

Who knows, my pacifist friend :) We ran them extremely close at home last season. I return the "I accept your view",though I would always feel that any team letting in 7 can't have been playing well, at any level. They didn't close us down, they gave us acres of space to shoot and move.

Incidentally I was impressed with Klopp's post match on the pitch interview, I though he was excellent. I mean compare and contrast his approach there with, say, MO'N when we got gubbed 7 by Chelsea away. He's a class act, Klopp. 

• Like 1

Who knows, my pacifist friend :) We ran them extremely close at home last season. I return the "I accept your view",though I would always feel that any team letting in 7 can't have been playing well, at any level. They didn't close us down, they gave us acres of space to shoot and move.

Incidentally I was impressed with Klopp's post match on the pitch interview, I though he was excellent. I mean compare and contrast his approach there with, say, MO'N when we got gubbed 7 by Chelsea away. He's a class act, Klopp. 

I think they are a brilliant team and still do and Klopp is right up there....i agree.....you don't win what they have and not be.

They won't be far away from the top at the death.

You make an good point though.....it will be interesting to see how we deal with a team who is intent on closing us down, but I guess Sheff Utd used to do that and Liverpool are past masters of the press, so maybe, just maybe, we have solved the conundrum, already.

I think Jack has always had a trick or two to beat the press, but now he has some help with Barkley.....aided and abetted by a fully functioning SJM.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've seen him singing SOTC pissed up at Wembley with balti sauce dribbling down his chin.

Its Science Anchorman GIF - ItsScience Anchorman RonBurgandy - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Its Science Anchorman GIF - ItsScience Anchorman RonBurgandy - Discover &  Share GIFs

Well in that case, as per my sig. "The mad kid had 4 lights, the average is 2.5 lights The mediocre has 2 lights, the sign of genius is three lights. There's one light left, that's the one light. That's the science law."

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well in that case, as per my sig. "The mad kid had 4 lights, the average is 2.5 lights The mediocre has 2 lights, the sign of genius is three lights. There's one light left, that's the one light. That's the science law."

I'm not Lee Majors dude. 

(I'm not a Fall Guy)😀

• Haha 1

@blandy @TRO

I hope you don't mind me chiming in on the discussion.

Liverpool are not a poor side and nothing should be taken away from Villa's efforts to create opportunities and threaten goal because Liverpool didn't lack quality in this match.

Conceding 7 goals rarely results in much other than defeat, probably record defeat, but in this instance it's a result of us overcoming a quality outfit, not Liverpool being poor.

Liverpool vs Manchester City in July this year saw the game start with Liverpool firmly in the driver's seat and in command, with City forced to try and hit on the break.

As you know, if you saw that game in full, City got one on the break, totally against the run of play. Then another, and the game changed and momentum swung firmly City's way.

That game ended 4-0 and Liverpool walk away with nothing to show for their initial dominance in the first half. Liverpool were playing great, pressing, purposeful in attack.

Anyway, to our fixture, Liverpool it must be said were horrendously poor, but only momentarily, when Adrian gifted Grealish possession with Watkins there to receive and punish.

As Klopp said, you can recover from a one goal deficit, and Liverpool weren't necessarily lacking from there on, it was Villa who relentlessly went about pursuing the contest.

We managed to find ourselves enough chances on goal to make it a very solid defeat for one of the worlds best teams. The quality of Villa's play was superb at times.

Yes Villa finally got some luck and some deflections went where we were happy to see them go (in basketball we'd say shooter's touch) but we were making the chances.

I was actually optimistic coming into this fixture with a midfield of McGinn, Luiz and Barkley. I mean our whole starting XI, I felt, could really challenge Liverpool.

This is a bit of a guess, and I don't have anything to substantiate it with, however I'm wondering if there was also an element of Smith setting us up to have every chance.

Like Smith, Klopp likes the 4-3-3, and like Smith Klopp likes to play it out from the back, I wonder if Smith used his insight into both to make some modest changes to our setup.

I mean, our survival last season depended on Smith identifying the ways in which other PL outfits were causing our approach of 4-3-3 and playing out from the back problems.

While there was vast difference in how honed and refined the approach was between Villa and Liverpool, I'm sure some principles probably transfer and apply to both.

To sum up though, no denying the quality of our players in this one. Don't underestimate or even undermine our efforts on account of the result being unexpected.

Grealish, absolute masterclass. McGinn firing on all cylinders, Barkley a class act and even miscued a few, Watkins was killer clinical. And so on and so on.

Good times are on the way this season I believe, as I said in another post, how consistently and persistently we can bring them on will determine our finish.

Edited by A'Villan

15 hours ago, A'Villan said:

@blandy @TRO

I hope you don't mind me chiming in on the discussion.

Liverpool are not a poor side and nothing should be taken away from Villa's efforts to create opportunities and threaten goal because Liverpool didn't lack quality in this match.

Conceding 7 goals rarely results in much other than defeat, probably record defeat, but in this instance it's a result of us overcoming a quality outfit, not Liverpool being poor.

Liverpool vs Manchester City in July this year saw the game start with Liverpool firmly in the driver's seat and in command, with City forced to try and hit on the break.

As you know, if you saw that game in full, City got one on the break, totally against the run of play. Then another, and the game changed and momentum swung firmly City's way.

That game ended 4-0 and Liverpool walk away with nothing to show for their initial dominance in the first half. Liverpool were playing great, pressing, purposeful in attack.

Anyway, to our fixture, Liverpool it must be said were horrendously poor, but only momentarily, when Adrian gifted Grealish possession with Watkins there to receive and punish.

As Klopp said, you can recover from a one goal deficit, and Liverpool weren't necessarily lacking from there on, it was Villa who relentlessly went about pursuing the contest.

We managed to find ourselves enough chances on goal to make it a very solid defeat for one of the worlds best teams. The quality of Villa's play was superb at times.

Yes Villa finally got some luck and some deflections went where we were happy to see them go (in basketball we'd say shooter's touch) but we were making the chances.

I was actually optimistic coming into this fixture with a midfield of McGinn, Luiz and Barkley. I mean our whole starting XI, I felt, could really challenge Liverpool.

This is a bit of a guess, and I don't have anything to substantiate it with, however I'm wondering if there was also an element of Smith setting us up to have every chance.

Like Smith, Klopp likes the 4-3-3, and like Smith Klopp likes to play it out from the back, I wonder if Smith used his insight into both to make some modest changes to our setup.

I mean, our survival last season depended on Smith identifying the ways in which other PL outfits were causing our approach of 4-3-3 and playing out from the back problems.

While there was vast difference in how honed and refined the approach was between Villa and Liverpool, I'm sure some principles probably transfer and apply to both.

To sum up though, no denying the quality of our players in this one. Don't underestimate or even undermine our efforts on account of the result being unexpected.

Grealish, absolute masterclass. McGinn firing on all cylinders, Barkley a class act and even miscued a few, Watkins was killer clinical. And so on and so on.

Good times are on the way this season I believe, as I said in another post, how consistently and persistently we can bring them on will determine our finish.

Good post Av

I was just keen to refrain from putting the other team down, when we secure an emphatic win......because by doing so, we inadvertently down grade our own performance.

even if Liverpool did play below par, we forced that performance on them.

Its never totally clear, if teams are that bad or we are that good, when we claim an emphatic win.....but we have to learn to take the prize, like other teams sre wuivk to do.

would Spurs just accept Utd was that bad, in their game?.......not on your nelly, they will say how good they were.

After years of demise, we now have to learn how to accept our good fortune, in a vein that it deserves.

its not about getting carried away, we certainly don't want to do that....but jack and johns man of the match awards and tyrones assist in the international teams ....is testimony to a change in our players outlook.

We can only beat who is in front of us.......their form, injuries, suspensions, is their problem, not our concern or a view to negate our performance.

onward and upward....UTV

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

would Spurs just accept Utd was that bad, in their game?.......not on your nelly, they will say how good they were.

I disagree. Publicly of course one team's manager or player is never going to say "you know what, [Man Utd.] were terrible today", but I'm certain that internally they will absolutely analyse the game, spot all the weaknesses and failings of [Man Utd.] and use them the next time they play them - you see it all the time. Where a team has a flaw, opponents cotton on to it and exploit it again and again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Good post Av

I was just keen to refrain from putting the other team down, when we secure an emphatic win......because by doing so, we inadvertently down grade our own performance.

even if Liverpool did play below par, we forced that performance on them.

Its never totally clear, if teams are that bad or we are that good, when we claim an emphatic win.....but we have to learn to take the prize, like other teams sre wuivk to do.

After years of demise, we now have to learn how to accept our good fortune, in a vein that it deserves.

its not about getting carried away, we certainly don't want to do that....but jack and johns man of the match awards and tyrones assist in the international teams ....is testimony to a change in our players outlook.

We can only beat who is in front of us.......their form, injuries, suspensions, is their problem, not our concern or a view to negate our performance.

onward and upward....UTV

What's said isn't really of consequence if the intended purpose is not to reflect what has actually transpired as best and accurately as possible. In martial arts, or any real contest, there's little use for an inflated ego, when your life is on the line, or in the case of football, the outcome of a fixture. One can run their mouth or tell oneself that a situation went or will go a certain way because that's considered desirable all they like, however without true understanding and recognition of a situation, it'll make things harder. If someone wins a fight or any contest where the degree of mastery between opponents was at a novice level and cannot appreciate this and assumes that the result of the contest qualifies that individual or team in ways in which it doesn't, it's in real danger of learning the hard way when it meets an opponent that does possess a higher level of skill.

On 05/10/2020 at 10:00, TheStagMan said:

Also, on that Puddle forum " They got lucky with their deflections and we were denied a clear penalty early on"

Yep, they are clutching those straws for all they are worth!

I read quite a lot and it was almost entirely about freak goals and how badly they defended. 

Almost zero comments about us playing well. 

I mean OK allowing for the deflected goals and their poor defending, how did they have 70% possession against our poor team and create almost nothing. 

As well as taking them to pieces offensively, we completely nullified their attack. 

They all are convinced that they should have had a penalty from McGinn shielding the ball. 

Also in their minds we should have had 3 goals chalked off for deflections AND the goal we got from a corner also shouldn't stand because of an offside in the build up, so that's 4 goals, despite a) there was no offside in the build up and b) that was one of the deflected goals anyway, it can't be discounted twice 🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, blandy said:

I disagree. Publicly of course one team's manager or player is never going to say "you know what, [Man Utd.] were terrible today", but I'm certain that internally they will absolutely analyse the game, spot all the weaknesses and failings of [Man Utd.] and use them the next time they play them - you see it all the time. Where a team has a flaw, opponents cotton on to it and exploit it again and again.

not denying that Pete....but you can't tell me they won't wallow in their own glory.

Â