Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

340 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/20 at 22:59

Watched it in full again last night and it was just as enjoyable 😬

No doubt lots went in our favour, with the 3 deflected goals, some decent saves from Martinez and a possible penalty against McGinn that went in our favour, but I think we earned our luck with the effort and application (& quality) that we put into the match.

You could even argue the two goals that they scored were both extremely fortunate, both coming from little mix-ups / ricochets that fell kindly for them and ones they quickly punished us on when it meant we had lost our shape somewhat.

Hearing the commentary again and in particular Carragher, it was so noticeably one-sided, but nice to hear the pain in his voice was definitely a nice sweetener. (Likewise with Souness). 

Loved the second Watkins goal and it really brought home just how good the lad is, the nod down to McGinn, the move off the ball to receive it back, running the flank, holding it up for support, laying it off to Jack then making another run, that's before he's even beaten Gomez for pace, turned inside and stroke it in the top corner. Some strike that. Noticeably nothing in commentary about the ball through from Jack either, but this sums up the commentary on the night (& the punditry - though to be fair at least Evra said a few nice things).

Anyway, just about sinking in fully. What a result. A great performance. Hopefully we use it as confidence throughout the season that we can compete with the very best, but not let it go to our heads - I'm sure Dean and the staff won't let that happen. UTV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Watched it in full again last night and it was just as enjoyable 😬

No doubt lots went in our favour, with the 3 deflected goals, some decent saves from Martinez and a possible penalty against McGinn that went in our favour, but I think we earned our luck with the effort and application (& quality) that we put into the match.

You could even argue the two goals that they scored were both extremely fortunate, both coming from little mix-ups / ricochets that fell kindly for them and ones they quickly punished us on when it meant we had lost our shape somewhat.

Hearing the commentary again and in particular Carragher, it was so noticeably one-sided, but nice to hear the pain in his voice was definitely a nice sweetener. (Likewise with Souness). 

Loved the second Watkins goal and it really brought home just how good the lad is, the nod down to McGinn, the move off the ball to receive it back, running the flank, holding it up for support, laying it off to Jack then making another run, that's before he's even beaten Gomez for pace, turned inside and stroke it in the top corner. Some strike that. Noticeably nothing in commentary about the ball through from Jack either, but this sums up the commentary on the night (& the punditry - though to be fair at least Evra said a few nice things).

Anyway, just about sinking in fully. What a result. A great performance. Hopefully we use it as confidence throughout the season that we can compete with the very best, but not let it go to our heads - I'm sure Dean and the staff won't let that happen. UTV.

It looked to me like the deflections were on target anyway and that the deflections was very slight,anyway.

They too had a deflection for a through ball that they scored from......but all this is nit picking and excuse searching......we just need to build on our consistency now.

The future games won't be like this because the dynamics will be different, but when you go in to a season having beat such a fine team, you are in awe of no one.

If we keep our heads have patience and know we have the ability.....we will be fine

It was a clinical display of finishing from us and a complete performance in som many ways.

The deflected shots were on target otherwise they would have been given as own goals. Doesn't mean the keeper would not have saved them but they were deemed to be on target by the PL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Oh I agree they were all on target and not taking anything from our performance, just on another day 1 or 2 (or 3) may have deflected wide of the target. Fair play to the players for having a pop and they got their just deserts. 

That’s true, we were lucky with the deflections. But on the other hand we missed at least 3 very big chances so It kind of balanced out. 

Overall we had 16 attempts on goal with 12 on target! It could have been worse for Liverpool.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

It looked to me like the deflections were on target anyway and that the deflections was very slight,anyway.

They too had a deflection for a through ball that they scored from......but all this is nit picking and excuse searching......we just need to build on our consistency now.

The future games won't be like this because the dynamics will be different, but when you go in to a season having beat such a fine team, you are in awe of no one.

If we keep our heads have patience and know we have the ability.....we will be fine

It was a clinical display of finishing from us and a complete performance in som many ways.

Such a great post until... we will be fine. That's what you think actually think, at the start of the season when hope is through the roof, after beating Liverpool by that score!?

They will be fine is the go-to line for all football pundits who don't actually give a shit, or know much about, the team they have been asked to speak about.... "They will be fine. Who cares. I don't know".

I don't think any such thing. I'm hoping my predicted (more than fine) 8th/9th finish is going to look conservative by the time we're scrapping for 5th/6th...... or higher!! (early season hope - see how it works!)

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Such a great post until... we will be fine. That's what you think actually think, at the start of the season when hope is through the roof, after beating Liverpool by that score!?

They will be fine is the go-to line for all football pundits who don't actually give a shit, or know much about, the team they have been asked to speak about.... "They will be fine. Who cares. I don't know".

I don't think any such thing. I'm hoping my predicted (more than fine) 8th/9th finish is going to look conservative by the time we're scrapping for 5th/6th...... or higher!! (early season hope - see how it works!)

I am really not sure, what you are going on about, we have had a phenomenal night......but we have just escaped relegation from a previous season.....we have made a great start.....but we have played 3 games.

what did you expect me to write?.....I was trying to be magnanimous, like the manager and be cautious in my euphoria.

i say again......we have played 3 league games.

23 hours ago, TRO said:

These things take time, you know......months and months, maybe a season to settle.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quality beds in like they have done

Helps that they're all English and have been playing in England their entire lives. No moving countries, no learning a new language, culture etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Helps that they're all English and have been playing in England their entire lives. No moving countries, no learning a new language, culture etc. 

yep.

southgate will need a season ticket.lol

• Like 1

On 04/10/2020 at 21:54, KillieVillain said:

Don't think I will sleep tonight ,going to watch that over and over again.

My wife caught me watching it again last night. 

"Are you watching the match again?" 

"I'm going to watch this about 40 times or more" 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, sne said:

The deflected shots were on target otherwise they would have been given as own goals. Doesn't mean the keeper would not have saved them but they were deemed to be on target by the PL.

Tyrone Mings and Konsa would have thrown their bodies at those shot to block them, VVD Gomez and Fabinho were scared of the ball

I did some research on the stats website 11v11 last night and discovered some intriguing stuff:

• Until Sunday we hadn't beaten any of the 'big six' in the league by more than two goals for... 24 years! Blimey. 3-0 at home to Chelsea in December 1996.
  • And we hadn't beaten any of them by more than three goals in the league for... 41 years! 5-1 at home to Arsenal in April 1979.

(I also discovered that we once beat Manchester United 7-0 in the league but this was way back in 1930. If I had a time machine my first journey would probably be going to that match).

11v11 is great because it literally has every single one of our matches in all competitions against all the teams we've ever played, from 1874 until now. You select the Premier League tab, then Aston Villa, then the head to head tab and then you choose the opponent. Or you can simply enter, for example '11v11 Villa v Chelsea' in Google and that takes you straight to the head to head record you want. You get a complete list of all the matches in chronological order (a very long list!). You can even click on each match and get the goalscorers and the team line-ups. Brilliant! It's a pity they've started doing pop-up ads though, annoying, grr. : <

Edited by robby b
  • Thanks 1

The thing that tickles me about Sunday, is this notion that Liverpool, were so bad......I disagree with that, it needs a better analysis, than just a glib statement, like that.

They made mistakes, sure.....but their overall game, so bad, not for me.....they still had good moments, salah was still his usual deadly, self.

World and European champions, do not become bad over night.....and in a general sense, they haven't.....they are still a formidable outfit......they just made errors and was exploited by a very vibrant and effervescent bunch of "young guns"

Sure, The best centre back in the world, looked uncomfortable with the presence of Barkley and it unsettled him.

No, it would not surprise me to see Liverpool resume normal service in their next game......but it equally would not surprise me yo see Aston Villa rediscover a new belief.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing that tickles me about Sunday, is this notion that Liverpool, were so bad......I disagree with that, it needs a better analysis, than just a glib statement, like that.

They made mistakes, sure.....but their overall game, so bad, not for me.....they still had good moments, salah was still his usual deadly, self.

World and European champions, do not become bad over night.....and in a general sense, they haven't.....they are still a formidable outfit......they just made errors and was exploited by a very vibrant and effervescent bunch of "young guns"

Sure, The best centre back in the world, looked uncomfortable with the presence of Barkley and it unsettled him.

No, it would not surprise me to see Liverpool resume normal service in their next game......but it equally would not surprise me yo see Aston Villa rediscover a new belief.

I don't necessarily think Liverpool were that bad.

They did create chances, particularly in the first half.

We simply exploited Klopp's system.

Will be interesting seeing how other teams will play against Liverpool. They can try but not everyone have the brilliance in Jack, Barkley, Watkins and McGinn in order to actually pull it off.

I do wonder how much involvement Craig Shakespear had in this tactical plan. We looked like prime Leicester from 2015 out there.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't necessarily think Liverpool were that bad.

They did create chances, particularly in the first half.

We simply exploited Klopp's system.

Will be interesting seeing how other teams will play against Liverpool. They can try but not everyone have the brilliance in Jack, Barkley, Watkins and McGinn in order to actually pull it off.

Totally agree.

Â