Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2020/21

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I think Martinez is fantastic but I've never been that worried about keepers and would rather spend the money elsewhere (if I'd thought about it before he shot up in price I might have got him). I've gone with two attackers and Cash as I think he'll get the clean sheets and has potential for some attaching returns. I was very tempted to do Targett instead though. 

5m for Cash was too expensive for me when you can have Konsa or Targett for 4.5. Especially when you consider the other 4.5m options out there.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

5m for Cash was too expensive for me when you can have Konsa or Targett for 4.5. Especially when you consider the other 4.5m options out there.

I get that, but have a gut feeling it'll pay off and I ignored my last one (that Son, Kane and Salah were solid wk 1 options) so want to take the chance. It's only a game after all. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I get that, but have a gut feeling it'll pay off and I ignored my last one (that Son, Kane and Salah were solid wk 1 options) so want to take the chance. It's only a game after all. 

Absolutely.  It's only a discussion. Please don't think that a differing viewpoint is a criticism. There is no wrong answer. I/we just like talking FPL and there'll always be different opinions.  If we can take something from what the other person is doing, or re-inforce our own approach based on what the other person is doing then everyone wins :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Absolutely.  It's only a discussion. Please don't think that a differing viewpoint is a criticism. There is no wrong answer. I/we just like talking FPL and there'll always be different opinions.  If we can take something from what the other person is doing, or re-inforce our own approach based on what the other person is doing then everyone wins :D 

Nah, unless everyone completely agrees with me I'm going to go sit in the corner of a dark room and rock backwards and forwards until the tears stop. 😥

It's all good mate, I like talking FPL too and agree about reinforcing opinions, but very aware it's only a game... Unlike Football Manager, that's life and death. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's a hundred different ways to do things, that's one of the best things about it :) 

Exactly, you only have to look at the highest score each week to see something crazy like scoring 150 points by triple captaining a defender against Liverpool or City who then gets a clean sheet and a brace. 

The number of times this happens I'm convinced it's ppl running 100s of accounts to try and win the weekly prize or that someone is seriously wasting a time travel device. 

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Exactly, you only have to look at the highest score each week to see something crazy like scoring 150 points by triple captaining a defender against Liverpool or City who then gets a clean sheet and a brace. 

The number of times this happens I'm convinced it's ppl running 100s of accounts to try and win the weekly prize or that someone is seriously wasting a time travel device. 

Very often the highest scoring weekly team only joined up that week (because they have no gameweek history). And if not that, people manage their team week to week sacrificing 30 or 40 points per week just to bring in the best team. They play the game for completely different motives. Up to them I guess.  It is rarely (but it can happen ...) a normal punter with his own team that wins TOTW.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Very often the highest scoring weekly team only joined up that week (because they have no gameweek history). And if not that, people manage their team week to week sacrificing 30 or 40 points per week just to bring in the best team. They play the game for completely different motives. Up to them I guess.  It is rarely (but it can happen ...) a normal punter with his own team that wins TOTW.

As I said, I suspect it's ppl creating loads of accounts to try and win the weekly prize. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

It seems Hamez may play this week after all :D  I wasn't convinced he was injured cuz Ancelotti's words were all mishy mashy at the time.

I'm leaving him in based off the press conference. 

I've got Brewster first reserve. Was under the impression loanees couldn't play against parent clubs but they've not marked him unavailable. Anyone know if he can? 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm leaving him in based off the press conference. 

I've got Brewster first reserve. Was under the impression loanees couldn't play against parent clubs but they've not marked him unavailable. Anyone know if he can? 

Brewster was bought for £23.5m He's not a loan.

As for Hamez, it would be mad not to start him regardless.  That's what subs are for. The amount of people who I've seen put star players on the bench only for them to play the game. Just leave him in (I don't mean you, I just mean in general). If he plays you get the points, if he doesn't he ends up on the bench anyway.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Brewster was bought for £23.5m He's not a loan.

As for Hamez, it would be mad not to start him regardless.  That's what subs are for. The amount of people who I've seen put star players on the bench only for them to play the game. Just leave him in (I don't mean you, I just mean in general). If he plays you get the points, if he doesn't he ends up on the bench anyway.

Of course he's not a loan, completely forgot that, must have been thinking about all the rumours of him going out on loan. My mind is on buying a new house I guess. 

The risk with leaving him in is if he only does a cameo appearance at the end and grabs 1 point. I've been caught out with this and having a big score on the bench way too many times (it's usually a Pep roulette player and not an injury doubt though). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Of course he's not a loan, completely forgot that, must have been thinking about all the rumours of him going out on loan. My mind is on buying a new house I guess. 

The risk with leaving him in is if he only does a cameo appearance at the end and grabs 1 point. I've been caught out with this and having a big score on the bench way too many times (it's usually a Pep roulette player and not an injury doubt though). 

Yeah cameos are the one risk, but I'll take that risk with a high powered player.  As long he gets at least 20 minutes or so he'll probably have a chance to get a return which is probably more than the shit sitting on my bench :lol: But even that's worst case. Everyone dreads the 1 pointer :D  :D   The one I'm thinking about this season so far has been Mourinho on Son. About 2 million people sold him and everyone else put him on the bench. He was flagged 25% and he ended up playing the entire game and hauling :lol: I kept him in.  Sweeeet.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

As I said, I suspect it's ppl creating loads of accounts to try and win the weekly prize. 

You’re not eligible for the weekly prize if you’ve used wildcard or any of the chips. So they might have the top score that you can click on to see ‘Highest Pts’ but they won’t win the prize. I think most people must do it for the screenshot - you often see teams made up of only players from Saturday’s fixtures for example.

17 minutes ago, chappy said:

You’re not eligible for the weekly prize if you’ve used wildcard or any of the chips. So they might have the top score that you can click on to see ‘Highest Pts’ but they won’t win the prize. I think most people must do it for the screenshot - you often see teams made up of only players from Saturday’s fixtures for example.

Didn't realise that using a chip counted you out of winning the prize, figured I'd never get close to winning it so why look to closely at the details but that is interesting to know. I guess it's a decent screenshot to have but not sure it's worth the faff it would need. 

Yep. Only positive is a lot of people are in the same boat. 

If Son and Kane do well later it’ll be a lot more painful as they’ll have a lot of people captain them 

• Like 1

Not a great week for FPL. I’ve got Ings and Azpilicueta to thank for 12 of my measly 27 points so far. Just Kane left to play as captain,  but so many have the same it won’t gain me much advantage even if he scores highly. 

I’m very tempted to use my wildcard but realise that might be a bit reactionary. 

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Not a great week for FPL. I’ve got Ings and Azpilicueta to thank for 12 of my measly 27 points so far. Just Kane left to play as captain,  but so many have the same it won’t gain me much advantage even if he scores highly. 

I’m very tempted to use my wildcard but realise that might be a bit reactionary. 

If Kane delivers and you have him Captain you'll have had an excellent week compared to most people. Most people I've seen are in the low 20s and a lot don't have their captain left. Like me :)