Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2020/21

Stevo985

I'm giving him another week or two purely because I've got other transfers that make more sense this week. If I could I'd drop him now I would as he's out of form and Liverpool are missing key players. 

Can someone please explain transfers to me.I mean,I think I have a very good team ( currently 21st ) and I cant figure out why people are making transfers every week.What is the strategy/meaning behind this tactic ?

My team is:

De Gea  Manure   Patricio Wolves

Castagne  Leicester   Robertson  Liverpool   Mings  Villa   Bertrand  Saints  Dunne  WHU

Salah  Liverpool   Grealish   Villa   Barclay  Villa  Costa   Leeds  Kilch  Leeds 

Vardy  Leicester   Kane  Spurs   Bamford  Leeds

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Can someone please explain transfers to me.I mean,I think I have a very good team ( currently 21st ) and I cant figure out why people are making transfers every week.What is the strategy/meaning behind this tactic ?

My team is:

De Gea  Manure   Patricio Wolves

Castagne  Leicester   Robertson  Liverpool   Mings  Villa   Bertrand  Saints  Dunne  WHU

Salah  Liverpool   Grealish   Villa   Barclay  Villa  Costa   Leeds  Kilch  Leeds 

Vardy  Leicester   Kane  Spurs   Bamford  Leeds

Many reasons.

First and foremost, for me a large part of the fun of the game is tweaking your team.  This is also on the premise that, presumably, you never really have your absolute most ideal team, unless you've just used your wildcard.  There's always a player or two that you are looking to bring in, or a player you are looking to ship out because they're not doing the business. You're never usually 100% happy with what you've got.  If you are 100% happy then well done you, and there is no reason to chop and change.  But there is usually something to improve.  Even if it's someone on your bench that could be upgraded to a playing player.

There's also the reason of looking ahead at upcoming fixtures.  You might see a team coming into some sweet fixtures and identify a player weeks ahead of schedule that you want to bring in.  Or similarly a player you own who is coming into a rough patch that you want to jump off of.

Say you own Salah but don't own Sterling, and Sterling is about to go on a run of 5 very easy fixtures while Salah has harder ones.  It might be an idea to swap to Sterling for just those fixtures then jump back.  It is basically never advisable to leave a team unchanged for a season, because you need to be looking at form and fixtures to get the best out of the game.

• Like 1

Thanks BOF,I can see where you are comming from and I understand what you have just explained.

I would love to improve my team by swapping Dunne and Bertrand but with the $$$ I would get for any/either of them I dont think I could buy better players.Any suggestions ?

8 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Thanks BOF,I can see where you are comming from and I understand what you have just explained.

I would love to improve my team by swapping Dunne and Bertrand but with the $$$ I would get for any/either of them I dont think I could buy better players.Any suggestions ?

You just missed the boat switching Dunne to Kilman because he's gone up to 4.1.  But Bertrand is in a very competitive price bracket of 5.0 with loads of valuable options in there.  I  don't want to be overly influencing your team.  You have the likes of Lamptey, Cresswell, Zouma, Bellerin, Coady, or if you wanted to stay on Southampton's defence you could go to KWP or Vestergaard and save yourself the 0.5m to invest it somewhere else - like upgrading Dunne to a 4.5.

I do still think you have too much money invested in your substitute goalkeeper but that's a squad choice. You like to have rotating goalkeepers.

Feels good to have had Martinez in goal since GW1, Steer on the bench at £4m guarantees that if Emi ever misses a game, my reserve will play. Kane as captain has been exceptional too. 

This week’s transfer was Salah in for Aubameyang, who’s been a real disappointment for the money. 

On the topic of transfers, my best season ever was a few years back. I didn’t follow it as closely as I do now, until someone at work told me I was 20 points clear at the top of our work league. I’d picked a team and stuck with it through ignorance, no subs or transfers. Of course, once you’re aware of it, you start tinkering. I finished 7th in the end :(

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Feels good to have had Martinez in goal since GW1, Steer on the bench at £4m guarantees that if Emi ever misses a game, my reserve will play. Kane as captain has been exceptional too. 

It's a rather bizarre problem to have with Villa assets but the problem with Steer on the bench means you can only have 1 Villa outfield asset.  I'm the same as you and I have Grealish.  But I think I want to get either Barkley or Wally in too which means having to sell Steer.  And as I'm not burning a transfer on a sub keeper it'll probably have to wait for my wildcard.

36 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

On the topic of transfers, my best season ever was a few years back. I didn’t follow it as closely as I do now, until someone at work told me I was 20 points clear at the top of our work league. I’d picked a team and stuck with it through ignorance, no subs or transfers. Of course, once you’re aware of it, you start tinkering. I finished 7th in the end :(

That person knew exactly what they were doing by telling you :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's a rather bizarre problem to have with Villa assets but the problem with Steer on the bench means you can only have 1 Villa outfield asset.  I'm the same as you and I have Grealish.  But I think I want to get either Barkley or Wally in too which means having to sell Steer.  And as I'm not burning a transfer on a sub keeper it'll probably have to wait for my wildcard.

That person knew exactly what they were doing by telling you :lol:

Yes, yes they did! 

But yeah that is the issue with Steer, I too have Grealish and want to get another Villa player in. I think I’ll wait and see though, there’s better areas to improve at the moment. 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

But yeah that is the issue with Steer, I too have Grealish and want to get another Villa player in. I think I’ll wait and see though, there’s better areas to improve at the moment. 

Luckily I can't really justify it at the moment because my current team is ...

Privacy Telegram GIF by Monero

21 hours ago, BOF said:

I do still think you have too much money invested in your substitute goalkeeper but that's a squad choice. You like to have rotating goalkeepers.

What I do with my goalkeepers,is.I am looking to get a clean sheet and pick up as any points as possable ( bearing in mind this is my first ever go at fantasy league football )

I check who ManUre and Wolves are playing.If ManUre are playing Chelsea and Wolves are playing Sheffield then I pick Patricio as he is most likely to get more points.

Thanks for your advice though BOF.I will have this game figured out by the end of this season🙂

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

What I do with my goalkeepers,is.I am looking to get a clean sheet and pick up as any points as possable ( bearing in mind this is my first ever go at fantasy league football )

I check who ManUre and Wolves are playing.If ManUre are playing Chelsea and Wolves are playing Sheffield then I pick Patricio as he is most likely to get more points.

Thanks for your advice though BOF.I will have this game figured out by the end of this season🙂

You get points for saves and penalty saves as well so sometimes the cheaper goalkeepers get more points than you would think. 

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You get points for saves and penalty saves as well so sometimes the cheaper goalkeepers get more points than you would think. 

Matt Ryan is usually excellent in this regard, rarely gets clean sheets but loads of save points. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Matt Ryan is usually excellent in this regard, rarely gets clean sheets but loads of save points. 

Yep, same with Nick Pope last season. He did get clean sheets but an awful lot of other points too. Unfortunately they priced him out of being a really good choice this season (imo)

Martinez is genuinely the best keeper option at the moment

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, same with Nick Pope last season. He did get clean sheets but an awful lot of other points too. Unfortunately they priced him out of being a really good choice this season (imo)

Martinez is genuinely the best keeper option at the moment

Martinez is class and possibly the best GK option, but means you can only have 2 other Villa players and the whole first 11 is class atm for points. Jack, Barkley and SJM all great mid price MF options, Mings is one of the top scoring DFs and Konsa, Targett and Cash all great options, Watkins could be fantastic value for 6m if he finds his Liverpool form. 

The difference between a top scoring GK and an good 4.5m one for me isn't much so I'd rather have two options like Ryan and McCarthy that can rotate and then grab another Villa player. 

40 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Martinez is class and possibly the best GK option, but means you can only have 2 other Villa players and the whole first 11 is class atm for points. Jack, Barkley and SJM all great mid price MF options, Mings is one of the top scoring DFs and Konsa, Targett and Cash all great options, Watkins could be fantastic value for 6m if he finds his Liverpool form. 

The difference between a top scoring GK and an good 4.5m one for me isn't much so I'd rather have two options like Ryan and McCarthy that can rotate and then grab another Villa player. 

Targett would be the only Villa defender I'd be getting at the moment. There are so many good and cheaper options out there imo than Mings etc.

Fair point about it taking up a spot but I think using a Villa spot for potentially the best value keeper in the game is worth it.

From a fantasy perspective IMO keeper and defenders are all 'the defence' i.e. they get the clean sheet points, so you find a way into a good defence, and for me Martinez is the best way into Villa's defence.  Unless someone like a Trent or a Digne gives you a disproportionate reason to go for someone other than route one. So Martinez isn't in the way of a Mings. He's instead of a Mings. You can always double up if you want.  But for me I can easily see myself doubling up on our attacking options and keeping Martinez for the season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BOF said:

From a fantasy perspective IMO keeper and defenders are all 'the defence' i.e. they get the clean sheet points, so you find a way into a good defence, and for me Martinez is the best way into Villa's defence.  Unless someone like a Trent or a Digne gives you a disproportionate reason to go for someone other than route one. So Martinez isn't in the way of a Mings. He's instead of a Mings. You can always double up if you want.  But for me I can easily see myself doubling up on our attacking options and keeping Martinez for the season.

Exactly my thoughts. Only way I'd be doubling up on Villa defenders is if there's some evidence that this run of clean sheets is going to be a far more permanent thing. Players like Grealish, Barkley and Watkins are far more valuable

I think Martinez is fantastic but I've never been that worried about keepers and would rather spend the money elsewhere (if I'd thought about it before he shot up in price I might have got him). I've gone with two attackers and Cash as I think he'll get the clean sheets and has potential for some attaching returns. I was very tempted to do Targett instead though. 

I sold De Gea and bought Schmeichel,looking at the points he has so far,I figure he is on the way up.

I dont think I am doing too bad so far in my first season.I am 21st,although I did drop 3 places from last week.