Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2020/21

Stevo985

I'm still torn between 2 tactics. Setting up the best possible side for week 1 and get the Manchester players in organically, or have placeholders and get them in the way I would if they were playing in GW1. Things like Auba to KDB/Sterling take care of themselves, but it's the compromising of the front line that I'm struggling to do in order to keep a few quid aside for the likes of Fernandes. I've switched mindset and starting formation at least 3 times so far (including about 200 drafts) and I'm still not decided. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm still torn between 2 tactics. Setting up the best possible side for week 1 and get the Manchester players in organically, or have placeholders and get them in the way I would if they were playing in GW1. Things like Auba to KDB/Sterling take care of themselves, but it's the compromising of the front line that I'm struggling to do in order to keep a few quid aside for the likes of Fernandes. I've switched mindset and starting formation at least 3 times so far (including about 200 drafts) and I'm still not decided. 

Yep. Struggling with this myself.

Feels very tough this year.

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Just wait until Messi lands with a 14m price tag. 

I reckon they'll put him in at 12 you know. 13 at most.

But it would make the game very weird. Everybody's drafts will be useless for a start. And it'll effectively become a 14 player game with no captain choices :D 

Looking like Messi not going anywhere.  Twitter FPL was discussing his price and the general concensus was 13 would be too cheap because at that price he'd pretty much be an auto-select. Seems a moot point now anyway.

41 minutes ago, BOF said:

Looking like Messi not going anywhere.  Twitter FPL was discussing his price and the general concensus was 13 would be too cheap because at that price he'd pretty much be an auto-select. Seems a moot point now anyway.

Yeah I don't think he'll be moving.

But in other fantasy games like Fantasy UCL he's been priced similar to other top assets. So I don't think he'd be huge on FPL.

He'd definitely be the most expensive player in the game. But I think talk of him being £14 or 15m when the next highest is 12 is a bit off. I don't think they'd price him that high.

If he's classed as a midfielder I think he will be priced at 13.5m. Man City score the most goals and they will get even more with him in the team, does he also get pens? At 12-12.5m he's an automatic pick ahead of Salah/Auba. 

I did a draft when the game got released and will look again a couple of days before the seasons KOs. There's certainly a lot of options available of how to set up at the start though and it looks like most transfers won't be done before we get underway. I did prefer the market closing before the season last year.

So,I signed up and I have a team.I used automatic team selection.Now,how do I pick my proper team ?

And BOF can you explain what you are talking about  ( 2 tactics ) I am new to this so havent a clue what you are on about.

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

So,I signed up and I have a team.I used automatic team selection.Now,how do I pick my proper team ?

And BOF can you explain what you are talking about  ( 2 tactics ) I am new to this so havent a clue what you are on about.

Go to "Transfers" and you can make as many transfers as you like until the Gameweek 1 Deadline.

Once the season kicks off you get one free transfer per week. Any extra costs you 4 points

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Go to "Transfers" and you can make as many transfers as you like until the Gameweek 1 Deadline.

Once the season kicks off you get one free transfer per week. Any extra costs you 4 points

You can also save a week's transfer so that you can do 2 for free the next week. An occasional tactic is to do this and then transfer 3 players for - 4 points as hopefully at least one of them is successful and covers the cost. 

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Thanks guys,The transfers worked a treat.I now have the team I want.

As for the different tactics. You have to choose where you want to spend the bulk of your money. You can't spend it everywhere. So you usually have to choose between having 3 good strikers or 2 good strikers and a sub, and then using the extra money in midfield. You don't want to have too much money sitting on your bench every week otherwise it's wasting there doing largely nothing.

I was debating whether to have 5 starting mids (which means using a maximum of 2 forwards) or going with 3 starting forwards (which tends to mean 4 in midfield (but can be 3 or 2)).

* You can spend big at the back too if you think the season will start off defensively.

53 minutes ago, BOF said:

As for the different tactics. You have to choose where you want to spend the bulk of your money. You can't spend it everywhere. So you usually have to choose between having 3 good strikers or 2 good strikers and a sub, and then using the extra money in midfield. You don't want to have too much money sitting on your bench every week otherwise it's wasting there doing largely nothing.

I was debating whether to have 5 starting mids (which means using a maximum of 2 forwards) or going with 3 starting forwards (which tends to mean 4 in midfield (but can be 3 or 2)).

* You can spend big at the back too if you think the season will start off defensively.

At the moment I've gone for 5 starting midfielders. There's so many good midfielders to choose from I think that's the best place to spend money.

I need to have another look at it before the deadline though. There's so much movement int he transfer market at the moment it's making it difficult!

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

At the moment I've gone for 5 starting midfielders. There's so many good midfielders to choose from I think that's the best place to spend money.

I need to have another look at it before the deadline though. There's so much movement int he transfer market at the moment it's making it difficult!

My problem is not so much that there are so many good midfielders (which there are), it's that 4.5 is almost unuseable in the forward line where you can get a playing 4.5 in midfield. So I've gone 3 up front with a viable 8th player instead of 5 across midfield with only 7 viable players. A Rhian Brewster transfer would change that massively, but it would change it for everyone rendering him almost pointless.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

My problem is not so much that there are so many good midfielders (which there are), it's that 4.5 is almost unuseable in the forward line where you can get a playing 4.5 in midfield. So I've gone 3 up front with a viable 8th player instead of 5 across midfield with only 7 viable players. A Rhian Brewster transfer would change that massively, but it would change it for everyone rendering him almost pointless.

Yep I've got Brewster currently but will switch him out if he doesn't go on loan.

Thanks BOF and etc.I get what you mean by tactics now.I spent most of my $$$ on 2 strikers and 2 goalkeepers.Bought the rest of the team with what I had left.As I said I have never played fantasy football b4.

So, tell me.This 1 free transfer a week.Does that mean that I can ditch a player worth $1.000.000. and buy 1 worth 5,000,000 each week ? Surely it cant mean that ?

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Thanks BOF and etc.I get what you mean by tactics now.I spent most of my $$$ on 2 strikers and 2 goalkeepers.Bought the rest of the team with what I had left.As I said I have never played fantasy football b4.

So, tell me.This 1 free transfer a week.Does that mean that I can ditch a player worth $1.000.000. and buy 1 worth 5,000,000 each week ? Surely it cant mean that ?

No. It all has to fit into your £100m budget.

If you sell a player for 6m then you can only buy a player for 6m.

The "free" refers to not costing you any points. If you make more than your free transfers then each transfer costs you 4 points.

If you don't use a free transfer then you roll it over to the next week, so you get 2 the next week. But this can only happen once, i.e you can never have more than 2 free transfers.

Also be aware that prices of players change. Your selling price may not be the buying price of said player. I can explain that in more detail if you like.

Edited by Stevo985

5 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I've chosen to follow the Villa approach and spend all my money on goalkeeper's. Feel a lot more secure with a top one on the bench just in case. 

Always though the best approach with goalies is buy both from the same team, ideally where the back-up is the cheapest possible price for a goalkeeper and the starting goalkeeper is handy.  That way you're not leaving cash on the bench whilst your back-up doesn't play whilst guaranteeing if your main goalie is out for whatever reason, your cheapo bench goalie will be the one replacing him so will still be accumulating some points.

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Always though the best approach with goalies is buy both from the same team, ideally where the back-up is the cheapest possible price for a goalkeeper and the starting goalkeeper is handy.  That way you're not leaving cash on the bench whilst your back-up doesn't play whilst guaranteeing if your main goalie is out for whatever reason, your cheapo bench goalie will be the one replacing him so will still be accumulating some points.

That was the approach I always used to take but now use two cheapish starting keepers that I can rotate to nearly always have a home fixture. This season I'm on Ryan and McCarthy (which I've just realised sounds like a 1970s folk band).