Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2020/21

Stevo985

Vardy does nothing for me for weeks and as soon as I drop him he scores and assists away from home against one of the form teams in the league. This season sucks. I'm normally about 500-750k and I'm at 1.7m this week.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep did exactly the same thing. Captain was on Salah, saw the rumours, switched to KDB. 

Very annoyed. But on the plus side at least KDB got something and Salah wasn't high enough owned to hurt my rank.

A separate discussion, but I actually hate captains on the game. I'd be more than happy for them to get rid of them completely.

I've gained a lot more points than I have lost from Twitter news so have to take it for what it is. I was actually thinking of taking him straight out for a week for Fernandes and captaining him as I didn't want to go to KDB but rolled the transfer so I have some wiggle room for the upcoming DGW.

I wouldn't mind the captain feature being removed, all it does is increase the variance a bit. The triple captain chip can be huge too, a lot got burnt on Mane last season. One of the things I'd like removed is bonus points, weighted towards full backs and freekick takers, can't stand it.

7 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I've gained a lot more points than I have lost from Twitter news so have to take it for what it is. I was actually thinking of taking him straight out for a week for Fernandes and captaining him as I didn't want to go to KDB but rolled the transfer so I have some wiggle room for the upcoming DGW.

I wouldn't mind the captain feature being removed, all it does is increase the variance a bit. The triple captain chip can be huge too, a lot got burnt on Mane last season. One of the things I'd like removed is bonus points, weighted towards full backs and freekick takers, can't stand it.

I like the captain. I **** hate the vice captain chip though. It's my one bugbear with the game. Having a safety net where you can hedge a bet is really annoying.  Pick your captain and live or die by it.

14 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I did exactly the same.

It's almost like we've been punished for actually paying attention to team news. People would have set Salah as captain last week and forgotten about it all week, now sat with a huge haul. 

Yep.

But in all fairness I should have chosen Bruno. he was the obvious other choice but i was swayed by KDB's numbers

21 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

The bit I don't like about the captain feature is it means you end up not wanting players in your team to do well. If your captain blanks and another player in your team has been captained by loads of people then it hurts your rank for them to do well. I hate that.

I want to be happy that players in my team score all the time.

I don't mind the bonus points system. At least it's transparent so you can choose your team accordingly. I nearly always captain midfielders because they have far more routes to bonus points than strikers, for example.

In the Norwegian FPL game the bonus points are allocated by the commentators (according to an article I read). I bet that is horrible!

• Like 1

I'd like to see more variety in the bonus points. A defensive mid is almost useless in this game, they will never over complicate it but I'd like to see them at least be able to get some bonus points if they played well. Serge Aurier was a machine on the BPS last year and he was usually terrible.

I still have KDB and while he looks decent the rest of the City team look shot to me. No striker, Mahrez/Bernardo not what they were, they use two DMs, all good and well KDB putting it on a plate for them but it's not translating into points and he's yet to score from open play. He has a game on GW18 though so I'm somewhat forced to hold and build for that. I think I'm set on a mini rebuild for the small GW and just free hit the big one, anyone still holding the first WC? Good spot if you are.

• Like 2

I'm lucky that my current team already includes 10 players who have a double in GW19. And I can improve that to 13 relatively easily. My plan is to do that and the two that don't have a double will be KDB and Son.

So for me the Free Hit to navigate GW18 and then Bench Boost on GW19 to take advantage of the doubles makes more sense. It means losing Martinez and DCL in the short term though which is a bit disconcerting. But I think it'll pay off

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The bit I don't like about the captain feature is it means you end up not wanting players in your team to do well. If your captain blanks and another player in your team has been captained by loads of people then it hurts your rank for them to do well. I hate that.

I want to be happy that players in my team score all the time.

I don't mind the bonus points system. At least it's transparent so you can choose your team accordingly. I nearly always captain midfielders because they have far more routes to bonus points than strikers, for example.

In the Norwegian FPL game the bonus points are allocated by the commentators (according to an article I read). I bet that is horrible!

I usually suck at picking captains, even if they're in form and have a great fixture for some reason they blank when I give them the captain. Then seeing people in my league captain someone else and wishing them not to score. Completely agree, hate that bit of the game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I usually suck at picking captains, even if they're in form and have a great fixture for some reason they blank when I give them the captain. Then seeing people in my league captain someone else and wishing them not to score. Completely agree, hate that bit of the game. 

If you're crap at picking captains then genuinely just leave it on Salah. He's as likely to get double figures on any week against any opposition and over the course of a season you're more likely to miss out on him hauling like a mofo than you are to hit on exactly the right captain. I saw someone on twitter comparing their fairly good captain returns over the course of an entire season compared to if they'd just left it on Salah and Salah still beat him.  I know it's not as much fun to do, but in a way it's kind of a differential because very few else will be doing it that way, and you're differentialing (that's totally a word) on the best player in the game.

One bit of advice with captains is to almost always pick a pen taker. There's just too many being given still and even if they are having a mare of a game a pen can take it from a blank to an 14-20 point game (E.g. Salah last week)

I've gone against my advice twice this season with DCL v Fulham and Son v West Ham, Son got me 26 points and Kane still would have been the better captain pick.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

If you're crap at picking captains then genuinely just leave it on Salah. He's as likely to get double figures on any week against any opposition and over the course of a season you're more likely to miss out on him hauling like a mofo than you are to hit on exactly the right captain. I saw someone on twitter comparing their fairly good captain returns over the course of an entire season compared to if they'd just left it on Salah and Salah still beat him.  I know it's not as much fun to do, but in a way it's kind of a differential because very few else will be doing it that way, and you're differentialing (that's totally a word) on the best player in the game.

I'm not as bad as I saw at picking captains (Bruno just got me about 34 points), I'm just a moaning git. It's more frustration about what should be a sure fire hit then turning bad for no apparent reason (i.e. KDB v WBA last week) and seeing other people get lucky with theirs and kicking myself for not picking them (what Stevo was saying above). This season is just generally annoying as weird things keep happening and I'm making wrong choices (my rank this year is awful compared to normal so I'm annoyed). 

Set and forget is a good option but feel like I'm not playing properly if I do that, would prefer captains weren't involved if I could choose. 

Yeah just saw that. I'm moving away from the idea of BB in 19 now. I think I'll just FH 18 and ride out 19.  Wildcard in 25 and BB or TC in 26.  That gives me 14 weeks use out of my 3rd squad which is perfect.

I've just used the first wildcard and think I can scrape a decent 11 for the first double. Leaning towards FH in 18, TC in 19 (if I can spot a decent captain - easier said than done), WC in 25 and BB in 26 but will need to think it over more. The lack of clarity on 26s fixtures doesnt help

19 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I've just used the first wildcard and think I can scrape a decent 11 for the first double. Leaning towards FH in 18, TC in 19 (if I can spot a decent captain - easier said than done), WC in 25 and BB in 26 but will need to think it over more. The lack of clarity on 26s fixtures doesnt help

The other thing to possibly bear in mind is rotation in the double game week 19 that close to the Christmas schedule. It would make me hesitant of triple captaining someone. 

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

The other thing to possibly bear in mind is rotation in the double game week 19 that close to the Christmas schedule. It would make me hesitant of triple captaining someone. 

That's the trouble in trying to spot a decent captain. You need a smaller squad so less rotation risk but also decent fixtures. Thinking maybe Bamford but would feel dirty using it on him. I nearly used it on Bruno yesterday and wish I had. Will no doubt waste it as usual (cheers Mane). 

I've gone from having my two best defenders being the two of the best defenders in the best defence in the league, who both have double gameweeks in GW19, to them both being injured, potentially long term, in the space of a day.

Two pointless transfers I'll now have to make!