Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

There is so much more to Ollie's game that simply goals, but if he was a more clinical striker, he'd be amazing.  Runs and works really hard but what does let him down, and it's a biggie, is his consistency with the first touch and ruthlessness.  If we are going to improve, either Ollie gets better or we buy better. 

On 18/09/2023 at 15:12, Pinebro said:

Only measuring him by goals is very simplistic.

Ollie brings so much more to the team and Coaches will see that but not fans.

Emery will be delighted with Ollie so far and he will be a long way off being dropped anytime soon.

Just wondering what Diaby would bring to us as CF. He can press I'm sure as well as Ollie and I'm 100% the link up play would be far more secure as Diaby is simply a very good all round footballer as he's shown countless times.

It will be an interesting one for Emery to consider as the season goes on. Regardless of xG difficulty I think we saw on Saturday who you'd rather a one on one with the keeper falls to in a tight game. And much more confident with Luiz on penalties aswell.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Ollie will be fine, the goals will come and he should definitely still be our starter right now. If he was available for £40m every club in the league would bite your hand off to sign him. Even City would use him from the bench. 

I've got a West Ham supporting friend and I've heard all the horror stories of the majority of their strikers not even scoring a single goal for them. We're so lucky that we have one and another who is only 19 and looks to be one of the best teenage prospects in his position. 

I could actually see Spurs going for him if he dosen't want to sign a new deal. He'd be a good fit for what they're building under Postacoglu especially as they're sharing goals around the forward line so he wouldn't have the pressure of having to get close to Kane's output which is near impossible.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This is supposed to be a poor game from him lol

Yeah, have to say I thought he generally linked the play quite well on Saturday and of all games it wasn't really the one to criticise that aspect of his game. Didn't lose the ball much at all, put up a good passing percentage etc.

Funnily enough I remember in his first season I had a few disagreements with people where I thought that part of his game was lacking, but obviously he was a net positive for what he brought to the team as a whole. For me he's come on leaps and bounds since then, he remains a streaky scorer but he's better as an all-round player than he's ever been. He's not a particularly technical or flashy player so when he has an off day it looks worse than a lot of players can, but on the whole he's an extremely functional, efficient player that we'd be doing extraordinarily well to replace with better.

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I can’t be bothered digging out the stats again now but I’m sure his goals per minute were better than Jesus and Mitrovic.

Still doesn't answer my question. I asked about his low xG (for his minutes as a no9), not xG conversion.

But, Gabriel Jesus had a goal every 189 minutes last season. Mitrovic had a goal every 144 minutes. Ollie had a goal every 209 minutes, so nowhere near.

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Still doesn't answer my question. I asked about his low xG (for his minutes as a no9), not xG conversion.

But, Gabriel Jesus had a goal every 189 minutes last season. Mitrovic had a goal every 144 minutes. Ollie had a goal every 209 minutes, so nowhere near.

Yes I didn’t read your question correctly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just wondering what Diaby would bring to us as CF. He can press I'm sure as well as Ollie and I'm 100% the link up play would be far more secure as Diaby is simply a very good all round footballer as he's shown countless times.

It will be an interesting one for Emery to consider as the season goes on. Regardless of xG difficulty I think we saw on Saturday who you'd rather a one on one with the keeper falls to in a tight game. And much more confident with Luiz on penalties aswell.

I think Diaby is great and elite. An incredible decision maker at pace and able to play fluidly across the pitch.

But as the CF in UE's system, the CF will frequently have to hold or link up the play with the CB draped on their back. This is why UE has primarily used Watkins, Buendia, and McGinn (and for a very short time Bailey before he stopped doing that) players in the CF role. 3 players who are very comfortable holding the ball with their back to the opponent.

Part of the problem, for me, away and under pressure (despite Liverpool and Newcastle being two of the toughest places to go and with high pressure) - is that Watkins AND Diaby have failed at winning their duels 1v1 with their back to goal to help us build out of the back. Diaby, so far, is not very involved in our first phase build up. He seems far more comfortable picking up the ball and turning to face forward as opposed to playing back to goal. Watkins has disappointed so far this year. He needs to stop feeling sorry for himself in that aspect of the game too.

So in short - if Watkins and Duran both being injured is the only real possibility of seeing Diaby in the CF role. 

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

There's only two better strikers than Ollie in the Prem. They both play for the same club.

Some won't appreciate what we have until it's gone....

Depends what you class as a striker. I'd call Salah a striker even if his main role is as wide forward. Same for Son who dipped last season but has had strong periods at Spurs as the CF when Kane used to miss months injured.

Ollie has done well for us and already proved me wrong in last six months as I said he'd never fire us into europe which he did between March and April.

I just feel as we go higher up the league table we'll need to win tight games through low chance creation and I just don't think his finishing will hold up in those circumstances. Certainly not from what he's shown in the league so far.

That chance he had at Newcastle first half is a case in point. Of course there were big issues that day at other end of the pitch but ultimately he dosen't score a crucial chance at 2-1 and then Isak scores his and the game is lost.

I'd say Calum Wilson is on a similar level to Ollie personally in terms of goals record and general runs and hold up play but Newcastle have the luxury of being able to rotate him and Isak so with Duran improving every game hopefully we'll have that profile upfront soon where Duran can be trusted to start some premier league matches.

He classes a striker as a number 9 or centre forward i guess. I would class Salah and Son as forwards but not centre forwards, i guess theres no right or wrong answer, There's only 2-3 elite centre forwards that have been better than Ollie in the last 3 years. For me he has plenty in the bank to get him through a bit of bad form. Emery is more than happy with Watlins as he hasn't signed someone to push him. 

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends what you class as a striker. I'd call Salah a striker even if his main role is as wide forward. Same for Son who dipped last season but has had strong periods at Spurs as the CF when Kane used to miss months injured.

Ollie has done well for us and already proved me wrong in last six months as I said he'd never fire us into europe which he did between March and April.

I just feel as we go higher up the league table we'll need to win tight games through low chance creation and I just don't think his finishing will hold up in those circumstances. Certainly not from what he's shown in the league so far.

That chance he had at Newcastle first half is a case in point. Of course there were big issues that day at other end of the pitch but ultimately he dosen't score a crucial chance at 2-1 and then Isak scores his and the game is lost.

I'd say Calum Wilson is on a similar level to Ollie personally in terms of goals record and general runs and hold up play but Newcastle have the luxury of being able to rotate him and Isak so with Duran improving every game hopefully we'll have that profile upfront soon where Duran can be trusted to start some premier league matches.

Wilson is different for me. He's more clinical, Ollie will bring more in other areas though. Wilson's goals per minute last season was a goal every 105 minutes! He's more than carrying that on this season with a goal every 62 minutes so far.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I shouldn't engage here, but why is 16.5 "so low"? 0.5 a match. A supposed goal every other week.

Expected to score 16/17 league goals is good. Plus you can throw in at least 5 assists.

Plus we played 14 games under a football terrorist last season so I expect his xG was hurt for those games when we had a hole in the middle of the pitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Wilson is different for me. He's more clinical, Ollie will bring more in other areas though. Wilson's goals per minute last season was a goal every 105 minutes! He's more than carrying that on this season with a goal every 62 minutes so far.

Yeah. And he's injured for 4 months a season as well.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah. And he's injured for 4 months a season as well.

Self-inflicted rotation!

Has never started more than 23 games for Newcastle - no wonder his goals per minute is so high!

Edited by DJBOB

Â