Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, Tom13 said:

Who said he's useless? Many people have said he has strengths, but also some huge weaknesses.

If you can't see the glaring weaknesses in his game, you must be blind.

Read back through the thread.  

• Like 1

shades of the liverpool 7-2 today just without the goals. i'd say his best performance this calendar year, and i include brighton away in that

he's going to enjoy the emery system methinks

• Like 3

The first goal summed him up in a way. Although it was good feet and a very well executed pass, watching it back, he should be playing that pass a second or two earlier. Might sound picky but it can make a difference. Luckily the space was still there to exploit.

I want him to improve and succeed as much as anyone, as I've said, certain aspects of his game are top drawer. It's just the others that need work.

I was most likely wrong to write him off under Unai but that Newcastle performance annoyed the hell outta me.

Edited by Tom13

Wouldn't surprise me to see him becoming one of Unai's favorites.

Fans don't like him but managers do.

There's much more to the modern centre forward role than scoring 'a' goal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

But fans do like him, it’s just that he’s limited, or has been until now at least anyway.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But fans do like him, it’s just that he’s limited, or has been until now at least anyway.

People in here has been constantly bashing him for over a year.

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

People in here has been constantly bashing him for over a year.

They bash him when he does a mings. When he plays like he did yesterday he is unstoppable.  The problem is has it in him to make big time clangers that cost us games

Hopefully under a proper manager and good coaching we are going to see mings go next level

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They bash him when he does a mings. When he plays like he did yesterday he is unstoppable.  The problem is has it in him to make big time clangers that cost us games

Hopefully under a proper manager and good coaching we are going to see mings go next level

Reason he gets into those goal scoring positions to begin with is all the hard work he puts into every game.

But of course that never gets noticed by fans.

You can be a striker and miss 3 sitters and still have an amazing game. I know this might surprise some people.

Edited by Pinebro

Just now, Pinebro said:

Reason he gets into those goal scoring positions to begin with is all the hard work he puts into every game.

But of course that never gets noticed by fans.

Was referring to mings not ollie.

But ollie was amassive improvement yesterday. Im hoping we see the ollie of the 1st season back.

He really does need to improve his away performances as they have been really poor

50 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I like him a lot. He’s gone backwards over the past 18 months - but he hasn’t been used to his strengths and his confidence has shattered. I hope we see more like we did yesterday. 

20 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

So you get players in and around your striker,  so he doesn't have to fend off three players ,whilst continuing to  hold the ball for an eternity as he is pulled pillar to post....whilst he watches his entire team stand on the halfway admiring it. 

Weird that.

Bingo.

Watkins has been playing well for a while IMO but he's been absolutely isolated and expected to either fend off 2 centre backs or run at entire defences on his own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This is an interesting take :D   Here's a selection from literally one page:

Yeah, it's just "his weaknesses" :D 

I did feel like I'd had enough of him after the Newcastle game. Yet here he is, performing well a week later. Hold my hands up, that was an extreme view, but most of what I say about him I stand by. But I do know he has certain very good qualities.

I've slagged him off a lot, I wasn't his biggest fan even when he had Grealish putting them on a plate for him. What I will say is, every player deserves a clean slate with a proper manager now at the club. Lets be honest, we had an absolute chancer controlling things before, he even managed to make one of the world's best keepers look bad at times, so every player deserves a new start with a manager who will know how to get the best out of each player.

You cannot deny that Ollie works his bollocks off, but I suspect he will be one of the first players to replace in the long run, along with Mings when Carlos returns. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I've slagged him off a lot, I wasn't his biggest fan even when he had Grealish putting them on a plate for him. What I will say is, every player deserves a clean slate with a proper manager now at the club. Lets be honest, we had an absolute chancer controlling things before, he even managed to make one of the world's best keepers look bad at times, so every player deserves a new start with a manager who will know how to get the best out of each player.

You cannot deny that Ollie works his bollocks off, but I suspect he will be one of the first players to replace in the long run, along with Mings when Carlos returns. 

Really depends on how Emery wants us to play.

Ollie as a focal point striker who needs to score the goals?  Yeah, he'll be replaced.  Ollie as a generic forward player who moves into channels and creates space for midfielders to break into the box?  He's pretty much ideal for that role.

Ollie jsnt a bad player but he is a limited player. He can have awful games though where his touch is abysmal. And then in other games look like a perfectly good prem league striker. Maybe he needs confidence. And if thats the case then Emery might be perfect for him

I've just read a piece where Ollie is making an oblique reference to the last manager by saying how refreshing it was by not having to constantly battle defenders for high balls. Also mentioned how everyone is all in with the new manager. Tbf, he did look in a happier place last Sunday, as did most of them.

Edited by sheepyvillian

Â