Academy General Topic

smetrov

1 hour ago, useless said:

Won the second game 1-0, playing Olympiacos Tavrou SC tomorrow at 3pm

Eh ... from here

f38d631e686642ee88cbebde78491a18.png

🤔

Looks very Athens-y, and I can't see anything about an Olympiacos Tavrou online other than that tournament. Has fate thrown us both together again in the same week I wonder?

Beat Olympiacos Tavrou SC 3-0, Lennon Moss, Ollie Bindley, and Jack Cronin-McGrath with the goals, we now play APOEL FC in the Quarter-Final at 17:30

• Like 1

On 30/04/2024 at 16:43, BOF said:

Eh ... from here

f38d631e686642ee88cbebde78491a18.png

🤔

Looks very Athens-y, and I can't see anything about an Olympiacos Tavrou online other than that tournament. Has fate thrown us both together again in the same week I wonder?

Our youth team has played olympiakos before, in a tournament with Zed, Vitoria, PSV, and someone else. 

We play Panathinaikos FC in the semi-final tomorrow, the other semi-final is Olympiacos FC against Inter Academy Georgia, final is also tomorrow, so our academy and first team could both end up playing Olympiacos on the same day

3 hours ago, useless said:

We play Panathinaikos FC in the semi-final tomorrow, the other semi-final is Olympiacos FC against Inter Academy Georgia, final is also tomorrow, so our academy and first team could both end up playing Olympiacos on the same day

We’ve sent  u14s in the squad also  , Mossy being one 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pongo Waring said:

What's the score? Any stand out players? 

1 nil down, and no.

Lost. 1 - 0.
We lacked control, lots of aimless long balls, poor decision making in the final 3rd, sloppy tackling. Looked tired and lacklustre over all.
Pana looked very poor and just kept hitting us on the break but it worked so...

Fair enough. You don't expect a lot of quality at this level but there wasn't any really.

Lost 1-0, tough first half, was basically their attack against our defence, did better second half, unlucky not to get an equalizer in the end, although could have scored another as well.

They looked older and stronger than us, some of them looked like they could be playing U21, or even first team football, we sent a U15 squad, so they probably were older, also their 'gamesmanship' was ridiculous considering it's only a friendly tournament for development

Today was a tough game, but Cronin-McGrath did well when he was able to get on the ball and has looked a very good in the other two games I saw, to be fair they all showed good promise at times, as you would expect, I think we will be seeing a number of them playing an age up for our U18s at some point next season

27 minutes ago, useless said:

Lost 1-0, tough first half, was basically their attack against our defence, did better second half, unlucky not to get an equalizer in the end, although could have scored another as well.

They looked older and stronger than us, some of them looked like they could be playing U21, or even first team football, we sent a U15 squad, so they probably were older, also their 'gamesmanship' was ridiculous considering it's only a friendly tournament for development

Today was a tough game, but Cronin-McGrath did well when he was able to get on the ball and has looked a very good in the other two games I saw, to be fair they all showed good promise at times, as you would expect, I think we will be seeing a number of them playing an age up for our U18s at some point next season

Yeah some of their players looked older but we had a giant up against a midget in midfield too. And yes, their ground time / playacting was ridiculous. Especially their captain - what a total fanny.
The ghosts of Marathon would be breakdancing in their graves, Theseus would be vomiting in disgust and Themistocles would be rolling his eyes and tutting.

The tall player in midfield for us was Farid Addey, who was playing in a U14 tournament a month or so back, so despite looking like he could be playing for our U21s, he might actually be one of the younger players they took. Things didn't quite run for him today, but I think he's actually one of the highly rated ones, in aforementoned U14 tournament he looked very good, and was in one of the recent England U15 training camps

• Like 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

The tall player in midfield for us was Farid Addey, who was playing in a U14 tournament a month or so back, so despite looking like he could be playing for our U21s, he might actually be one of the younger players they took. Things didn't quite run for him today, but I think he's actually one of the highly rated ones, in aforementoned U14 tournament he looked very good, and was in one of the recent England U15 training camps

My word, he doesn't look that young. I liked how he pulled back that little git who ran off with the ball when we won a free kick. Time was running out and that was good awareness.

I don't want to sound hard on them, and its all good experience. It was just a bit of a mess and disappointing to see.

• Like 1

I wouldnt be surprised to see us bring in Fenton Heard from West Brom as an Azaz style signing, out of contract in the summer, but a good player, and a Villa fan

Kevin Mfuamba is another of theirs I've long thought could end up with us, kind of DM our academy teams have been missing  whilst also being decent on the ball, he's a couple of years younger though, and under contract, so would cost a fee

Iddrisa Amihere and and Max Jenner might be ones to look out for from their U16s too, maybe they will go elsewhere, but have a feeling we will making a number of first year scholar signings again

Â