Academy General Topic

smetrov

Premier league clubs have to submit their retained/released lists by May 26th, but can publish them before then if they wish, so we will find out pretty soon who is being kept on and who is being let go.

The National Final for the U14s is this sunday against Man Utd, I thought the club might have acknowledged them winning the South Final on Sunday, even just a tweet congratulating them, maybe they'll do something if they win on Sunday, will be a tough game though.

I've seen a few comments suggesting United's U14s are quite big for their age, whereas ours look quite small, interesting seeing Jacob saying he was smallest until 16 because Cole looks like one of the smallest in that above 'secret scout' picture, Bradley Burrowes probably the smallest, there as well, I think he's already played for the U15s, so seems he's doing well since we signed him around this time last year from Bristol Rovers.

Interesting year coming up for that group as next season will be U15s, some of them have already played for the U16s, also getting to the age where start getting considered for England U15s, and given how well they've done as a team, I'm guessing some will have a chance of getting a call up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/05/2022 at 16:14, useless said:

Also noticed that Aurio Teixeira is out of contract as well in the summer, was impressed with him playing alongside Iroegbunam last season in the Youth Cup.

Just seen that he's been released by Albion, quite surprised by that and some of their fans seem to be as well, as seen as one of their better players at U23 level, wouldn't be at all surprised to see us bring him in as stop gap player for our U23s in midfield, as chances are Iroegbunam will either be on loan or with the first team and Lindley is getting to stage where he needs a loan too, and not sure if we've got much in the way of U18s coming through to play the deep midfield role.

Edit: He's a little older than I thought, turns twenty this September, and once players reach that age we usually discard them as options for our U23s so the above probably unlikey, if we were to sign him which I doubt now would probably be more like the Azaz deal.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

On 27/05/2022 at 15:39, useless said:

The National Final for the U14s is this sunday against Man Utd.

Lost 5-3, saw a team photo of the Utd team and they do look a lot bigger than our team, whether that played a part or not I don't know. Still winning the South Cup is a good achievement and I think today was their first defeat in over thirty games this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In looking for the above result I noticed that Ashton McWilliams put on his instagram that we've signed another academy player by the name of McWilliams, from FC Santos Panthers who are a team based in Northampton,  and his brother came from Northampton themselves, whether this new signing is related to them I'm not sure. Looking at him I presumed he was a scholar for next season as looks quite big but apparently he's an U13, it's on the FC Santos Panthers' instagram.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Will Rory Wilson play for the U18's or the U23's?

3mins 30 seconds in he scores a Brace. Looks a real goalscorer 

I like the look of that number 7. 

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

I like the look of that number 7. 

I agree he does look like an exciting prospect, but If I have googled this correctly I think his name is Ben Doak and has recently signed for Liverpool, so I think we can forget that one.

Ben Doak

Scottish wonderkid Ben Doak has confirmed his move to Liverpool on social media after the club forked out a £600,000 compensation fee to sign him from Celtic.

Doak, 16, was attracting interest from a number of teams before the Reds wrapped up a deal last month, with the allure of Jurgen Klopp convincing him to move to Anfield, according to The Athletic.

It is also believed the success of other young players such as Trent Alexander-Arnold and Curtis Jones on Merseyside played a part in his decision.

Edited by NeilS

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

I agree he does look like an exciting prospect, but If I have googled this correctly I think his name is Ben Doak and has recently signed for Liverpool, so I think we can forget that one.

Ben Doak

Scottish wonderkid Ben Doak has confirmed his move to Liverpool on social media after the club forked out a £600,000 compensation fee to sign him from Celtic.

Doak, 16, was attracting interest from a number of teams before the Reds wrapped up a deal last month, with the allure of Jurgen Klopp convincing him to move to Anfield, according to The Athletic.

It is also believed the success of other young players such as Trent Alexander-Arnold and Curtis Jones on Merseyside played a part in his decision.

Boo. He looked extremely good, even outside the two goal involvements. 

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Ben Doak

Yep, just checked and you are correct. Looks some player. 

That's the 2nd time today I've seen Jones used as an example as Liverpool being great with young players

I know he started some games last season but has he really broken through yet? Same age as Ramsey cant be playing anywhere near as much football 

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

thats one thing that has been continuous under NSWE — continued investment in the Academy. Absolute love to see it

16yo and 15yo? 

Together, they are 31yo, and just the right age profile for us. Are they 'mates' of Stevie?

AMIRITE?

#bantz

Nah, seriously, good to see the continued investment into the academy. Well done Villa. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

16yo and 15yo? 

Together, they are 31yo, and just the right age profile for us. Are they 'mates' of Stevie?

AMIRITE?

#bantz

Nah, seriously, good to see the continued investment into the academy. Well done Villa. 

Agreed. It seems that our policy has moved on from picking up decent up and comers in the first team to getting established pros for the first team while filling the academy with top class youth players for the future (or future profit). Very few teams can succeed with a young team (regardless of talent) so ensuring our future through the academy while focusing on older players for the now seems a pretty good approach I'd say

Â