sne

I think it's an interesting way of knowing how old everyone is 

Wouldn't say there's been an obviously young one yet, the majority seem to be in their 30s (I'm 35) 

Would also say there's been nothing out right controversial yet, putting Totti in is against the grain but it's not like anyone's going to say nah mate he was shit (waiting for someone to now put VVD in...) 

48 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You don’t have to over be 70 to remember Pele and Beckanbaer. I know we like players from the generations we watch but you can’t ignore the true greats. 

It would be nonsense to have a GOAT 11 for cricket without Bradman and Sobers 

Okey 60. Point here is that he already clarified the goalposts in this hypothetical team 

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Surprised by so many including Cannevaro, Nesta or Terry over Franco Baresi. Baresi was utterly superb. 

I had Baresi in my mind when I did my team, but realised I’d only watched him a couple of times and as a CB I think it’s harder to gauge a player’s class.

Whereas with Maradona, I literally only saw clips of him in 86 and 90 World Cup and some clips of him training with Napoli and it’s clear as daylight the guy was a football genius in his prime. That goal against England in 86 I have to say begrudgingly was incredible and probably not seen a better individual goal since.

Also difficult leaving Roberto Baggio out (and surprised he’s not in more teams), he was one hell of a player and always a joy to watch.

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Okey 60. Point here is that he already clarified the goalposts in this hypothetical team 

Yes but what does the acronym GOAT stand for?  Anyway apologies to the poster, I’m not having a go just can’t have a GOAT discussion without including players from the past. 

More like early 50s which is what I am. Remember the 1970 World Cup and Germany won the 1974 World Cup with Beckanbaer as captain. 

I’d argue Pele over maradonna everytime. He brought beauty to the game. Even his misses were a thing of beauty and was a true sportsman unlike maradonna who was a blatant cheat. 

Edited by PaulC

............................Schmeichel..............................

Cafu..........McGrath..........Nesta..........Maldini

..........................Vieira..........Zidane.........................

Messi.....................Maradona......................C.Ronaldo

.............................Van Basten...............................

Bench: Van der Sar, Baresi, Brehme, Rijkaard, Xaxi, Iniesta, Ronaldo

Totti wasn't even close to be picked.

On 27/03/2020 at 19:47, Tomaszk said:

Delighted to see Brazilian Ronaldo in so many teams. Wonder if he could have got over his injuries if technology was bit better in 2000.

Don't assume players like this will come along again, football is becoming evermore tactical and system orientated, mavericks like Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi will likely have magic coached out of them at 12 so they can slot into a position .

Khan

Dani Alves          Terry          Maldini          Lahm

Zidane          Pirlo          Iniesta

Messi          Ronaldo          Cronaldo

Ronaldo and Ronaldinho reputations are both a bit tarnished by their lifestyles I suppose, but they are by far the greatest talents I have ever seen , Ronaldo was humiliating the likes of canavaro, nesta and maldini on a weekley basis in serie a , I know Pele scored over 700 goals but he played the majority of his career in brazil , not doubting his talent at all just saying he never got to prove himself in europe like many in his era like ,carlos alberto , garincha ect

Khan

Cafu      Nesta     Maldini    R Carlos 

Zidane            Viera

Ronaldinho  Rivaldo  Totti

Ronaldo

17 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Khan

Cafu      Nesta     Maldini    R Carlos 

Zidane            Viera

Ronaldinho  Rivaldo  Totti

Ronaldo

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but you surely can't genuinely think Totti and Rivaldo (as great as they were) were better than Messi and Cristiano?!

• Like 1

Rivaldo was so close to my team, he was incredible but also had a steep decline. 

Players I picked earlier all played at top level until mid 30s some even later except Van Basten for obvious reasons 

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I know Pele scored over 700 goals but he played the majority of his career in brazil , not doubting his talent at all just saying he never got to prove himself in europe like many in his era like ,carlos alberto , garincha ect

Nobody did in those days and this argument has been used against him before, but just imagine how strong the Brazilian leagues were then unlike now. Don’t know how many trophies he won at Santos but bet he won a fair few.

He didn’t get to play in his peak years in world cups either as in both 62 and 66 he got injured. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Nobody did in those days and this argument has been used against him before, but just imagine how strong the Brazilian leagues were then unlike now. Don’t know how many trophies he won at Santos but bet he won a fair few.

He didn’t get to play in his peak years in world cups either as in both 62 and 66 he got injured. 

Not many did but him and  carlos alberto both moved to usa, yet socrates played for fiorentina in that time pereiod , but yes I see it from your view point

Socrates was a later generation wasn’t he, 80s. 

Pele did actually play for for Santos against Benfica in a two legged club world tournament in 62. In Lisbon they thrashed Benfica 5-1 and pele got a hattrick. 

Its difficult to compare generations but with the extra protection players get now I think Pele would have been even better. He got no protection in the 66 World Cup, targeted he was kicked out of the tournament. 

8 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but you surely can't genuinely think Totti and Rivaldo (as great as they were) were better than Messi and Cristiano?!

Totti's career > Ronaldinho's career, and I wouldn't even say it was remotely close. Both Barca and Milan becoming better without him wasn't just coincidence either IMO.

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

Socrates was a later generation wasn’t he, 80s. 

Pele did actually play for for Santos against Benfica in a two legged club world tournament in 62. In Lisbon they thrashed Benfica 5-1 and pele got a hattrick. 

Its difficult to compare generations but with the extra protection players get now I think Pele would have been even better. He got no protection in the 66 World Cup, targeted he was kicked out of the tournament. 

Like you say, hard to compare. I personally don't think a team from the 60s would have any hope of surviving in the Premier League. They'd get battered every week. Football has come on so much in every way.

Yes but with modern training and better facilities, much improved pitches., more protection, a great player would be a great player in any era. It’s not like Messi is a better physical specimen than Pele was, George Best would have been a great player today, especially if he stayed off the booze. 

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Totti's career > Ronaldinho's career, and I wouldn't even say it was remotely close. Both Barca and Milan becoming better without him wasn't just coincidence either IMO.

They got better but before Ronaldinho went to Barcelona they were pretty much a joke, 22 points behind Real Madrid in the league and were all over the place. He helped make them relevant again

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They got better but before Ronaldinho went to Barcelona they were pretty much a joke, 22 points behind Real Madrid in the league and were all over the place. He helped make them relevant again

That's fair. 

I think Sammy Eto'o deserves a mention in this thread. His scoring record is fantastic. He helped turn Barca around too, and won everything there. He then did the same with Inter.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Nobody has mentioned luis Suarez who has also got a fantastic goal scoring record wherever he has played and joined Barcelona when Xavi and Iniesta were on their way out.

because he is nowhere near the greatest of all time

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

because he is nowhere near the greatest of all time

No but he’s as good as some of the players mentioned. The last season he had at Liverpool I reckon was the best season by any player in the Premier League ever, some of the goals he scored were amazing 

Â