sne

Just now, Zatman said:

If Riquelme had an engine then Argentina would have won the 2006 World Cup, one of the last great traditional No.10

If Matt LeTissier added "running" to his game he'd have been the best ever.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Pablo Aimar was waiting in the wings that tournament, what happened to him?

Retired through boredom of being linked to Villa and never getting the move

18 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Retired through boredom of being linked to Villa and never getting the move

Him, Miguel and Benny McCarthy have a club, they had to kick Robbie Keane out after his loan move

• Haha 1

In my lifetime I'd go:

.............................Schmeichel..............................

Cafu..........Cannavaro..........Nesta..........Maldini

..................................Matthaus.............................

..........................Xavi..........Zidane.........................

Messi.....................................................Maradona

.............................Fat Ronaldo...............................

Had to leave out players like Ronaldinho, C. Ronaldo, Pirlo, Henry and Iniesta, all fine players in their own right 👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

If Riquelme had an engine then Argentina would have won the 2006 World Cup, one of the last great traditional No.10

Looking back it was Messi's best chance of winning a World Cup too, even if he was still very young.  Probably already one of the best few players in the world but left on the bench.  By far the best team they've had this century anyway.

Why oh why did you start this thread!! Been arguing with myself alllllll day 😂 mine is based on player in my lifetime. Can appreciate there is many more I would add in, but its only fair as I've seen all these play.

Schmeichel

Cafu   Nesta  Cannavaro  Roberto carlos

Xavi    Iniesta

C. Ronaldo  Messi  Ronaldinho 

R9

So many more i wanted to add in!!!

Riquelme, Henry, Zidane etc!!

Edited by leighavfc
  • Haha 1

I'll only count players I've seen enough to judge.

GK - Buffon - Not really another option for me in terms of quality and longevity IMO

RB - Cafu - Probably the best all-round full back I've seen. The defensive side of his game often overlooked because of how good he was going forward.
CB - Nesta - The best centre back I've seen. Class personified.
CB - Maldini - Never caught him in his prime, but still a brilliant player when he moved to centre back. 
LB - Cole - Probably the only full back I've seen where you didn't have to concern yourself with who he was up against. Ronaldo? Messi? Doesn't matter. Lockdown defender.

CM - Zidane - Genius. Probably the first player I remember seeing where I was in genuine awe of what he could do with a ball.
CM - Vieira - Wasn't really anything he couldn't do in midfield. I can't even imagine how much he'd be worth in todays market, in his prime.
CM - Totti - Despite being a big name, I think his lack of trophies often leaves him underappreciated. The His technique was incredible, the amount of goals he scored as a #10 is ridiculous.

RW - Messi - Born with incredible gifts. I don't think anything he does surprises anyone.
ST - Ronaldo de Lima - The complete #9. Brilliant finisher. Great in the air. Had pace, power, strength. He really had everything.
LW - Cristiano Ronaldo - Like the other Ronaldo, he really has everything to his game.His dedication and work ethic is probably the greatest I've seen of any sportsman.

Honourable mentions to.. van der Sar, Terry, Roberto Carlos, Xavi, Lampard, Shevchenko  and Henry

• Like 3

Delighted to see Brazilian Ronaldo in so many teams. Wonder if he could have got over his injuries if technology was bit better in 2000.

Don't assume players like this will come along again, football is becoming evermore tactical and system orientated, mavericks like Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi will likely have magic coached out of them at 12 so they can slot into a position .

Khan

Dani Alves          Terry          Maldini          Lahm

Zidane          Pirlo          Iniesta

Messi          Ronaldo          Cronaldo

• Like 1

Schmeichel 

Lahm Cannavaro Maldini Cole 

Vieira 

Xavi  Iniesta 
Cristiano Ronaldo          Messi

Ronaldo

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Surprised by so many including Cannevaro, Nesta or Terry over Franco Baresi. Baresi was utterly superb. 

Yeah Baresi was fantastic, for me i guess it comes down to having watched Nesta and Cannavaro so many more times than Baresi.

Ronaldo is left out from my list as well and he's probable the second best player I ever watched after Maradona, but injuries means that he's left out.

On 27/03/2020 at 19:47, kurtsimonw said:

CM - Totti - Despite being a big name, I think his lack of trophies often leaves him underappreciated. The His technique was incredible, the amount of goals he scored as a #10 is ridiculous

Happy to see someone mention il pupone. Superb player

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Why can’t this thread be renamed GOAT from the last 20 years. The Brazilian Ronaldo isn’t even the best Brazil player ever. 

Well to be fair the OP clearly says the thread is about your lifetime and players you've had the chance of watching. If you're 70 years old feel free to add Gren Liedholmz, Nordahl, Puskas, Pele or der Kaiser. 

Swear people have stopped actually reading on this forum 😂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He really could do everything but he mastered corner positioning and all without gloves and modern equipment.

Original sweeper keeper

Another brilliant American keeper. I vividly remember him psyching a player out just before he saved a penalty (proper Jed Steer like), it was almost as if I saw it yesterday somehow!

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well to be fair the OP clearly says the thread is about your lifetime and players you've had the chance of watching. If you're 70 years old feel free to add Gren Liedholmz, Nordahl, Puskas, Pele or der Kaiser. 

Swear people have stopped actually reading on this forum 😂

You don’t have to over be 70 to remember Pele and Beckanbaer. I know we like players from the generations we watch but you can’t ignore the true greats. 

It would be nonsense to have a GOAT 11 for cricket without Bradman and Sobers 

Â