Passing Time During The Pestilence

Xann

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a mad old thing that, I’ve had a rummage around one in a museum (Duxford) and it was like a miniature plane, everything including the seats appeared to be three quarter scale.

Long long ago when I was working on the GE aero engine facility they had a Concorde service complex. The whole site was forensically clean, with workers wearing white gowns and overshoes and all that. Lots of processes were automated.

Then you went through a door to Concorde and it was a bunch of old guys in cardigans with holes in the elbows and dirty boiler suits covered in oil and the place smelled like WD40 and people were smoking pipes and had the radio on!  

The actual engine test bed was something out of Flash Gordon, all 1920’s Art Deco styled Bakelite dials and chrome levers and great big analogue gauges. 

• Like 3

Many a long summer spent at the Zweibrucken airbase, listening to Lightnings, Phantoms and Starfighters.

Three planes where the original spec was not ‘could you make them quite quiet’.

I had a mad cool record collection from those trips, wander in to town and spend my pfennigs on Kraftwerk singles, and Specials and Jam singles with German language covers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Three planes where the original spec was not ‘could you make them quite quiet’.

That still applies to fighters like Typhoon - unbelievably loud when they have the 'burners on. The really modern stealth planes are a bit different. Some sound proper wierd.

• Like 1

It was supposed to be an online Alabama 3 gig tonight.

A year ago they had to postpone their tour because Jake died. They got the tour lined back up and it had to be cancelled because of Covid. So they were going to try an online gig tonight and now it’s blackout.

At what point do you begin to suspect a conspiracy against you?

• 1 month later...

Loch Arkaig osprey live cam

Follow the story of our resident osprey pair, Louis and Aila, live from the heart of an ancient Caledonian pine forest.

There are three chicks in the nest, regular feeding from both parents and some time soon they will fledge the nest.

Below is the official website with detailed info and live camera

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/osprey-cam/

Here is the youtube channel

• Like 2

On 21/07/2020 at 09:12, chrisp65 said:

Didn’t know about the original concept of colour coding.

Turns out my filing system was kinda correct all along.

Are you collecting 7" now? :o

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

Are you collecting 7" now? :o

No no. They’re way too expensive. I see one I fancy every now and again and in my head they’re still 90p so it’s a bit of a bump when they’re £8.99

It was a throwaway reference to my album covers being in colour order.

But as it happens on Monday I might be buying my first record in 4 months and it’s got a ‘free’ single inside the cover. 

Edited by chrisp65

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

No no. They’re way too expensive. I see one I fancy every now and again and in my head they’re still 90p so it’s a bit of a bump when they’re £8.99

It was a throwaway reference to my album covers being in colour order.

But as it happens on Monday I might be buying my first record in 4 months and it’s got a ‘free’ single inside the cover. 

Its Breeders Last Splash isnt it, no wait, its The Good Son by Nick Cave, The Big 3 by 60ft Dolls or maybe that Frank and Walters debut, the second Family Cat LP. 
Maybe I am saying bands still do the 7” insert with an LP?

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its Breeders Last Splash isnt it, no wait, its The Good Son by Nick Cave, The Big 3 by 60ft Dolls or maybe that Frank and Walters debut, the second Family Cat LP. 
Maybe I am saying bands still do the 7” insert with an LP?

49894381151_d1e6c74775.jpg

49597507672_d907d105ed.jpg

kaleidoscope-lp-packshot4.jpg

• Like 1

Completely insane Aussie bloke makes a scale high rise apartment building with interiors and lighting.

When he started putting posters in the walls of rooms with with windows so small you couldn't even see them I realised my creative side will never be quite insane enough.

Also the lighting with so much paint and glue and paper around screams 'fire hazard'.

48 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Completely insane Aussie bloke makes a scale high rise apartment building with interiors and lighting.

When he started putting posters in the walls of rooms with with windows so small you couldn't even see them I realised my creative side will never be quite insane enough.

Also the lighting with so much paint and glue and paper around screams 'fire hazard'.

Is it a model of Grenfell Tower? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it’s good weather over the next few nights, could be good for spotting meteor showers.

Just sit back and enjoy the show.

Don’t forget though, the experience is enhanced with a large dark rum.

• Like 1

Â