Official social media

PaddytheVillan

Couldn't find a specific thread on this anywhere or a thread this would naturally fit in to.

I work in communications and PR, so know how difficult it is. And I realise I'm probably also looking for an easy target to lash out at. But Villa's social media team, particularly on Twitter and Facebook, are really irritating me. In the build-up to the match they kept on posting stupid photos with "feeling positive" and images of JT and Smith, and "Back between the sticks" with an image of Reina. We had next to nothing to feel positive about going into the game after five straight defeats and in 19th, and then went into the game and got smashed, with no positivity, tactics and a clanger from the man "back between the sticks". 

Today, they wishes Shaun Teale a happy birthday (which is fine) and posted a thoughtful message about Sid. But then they post a bizarre interview with Nakamba (probably the best player of a bad bunch yday), and even worse stupid "throwbacks" to Grealish scoring v Blues and us beating Wolves on this day two years ago. Totally clueless and embarrassing - especially considering that we'll likely be playing Blues again next season, and where Wolves are now comparatively. The comments consisted of angry Villa fans telling them to stop, and Albion / Leeds / Leicester trolls. 

Sometimes, silence is a choice and one that the Villa guys seem desperate not to take. They're professionals, and they should know when what they are doing is riling the fans and creating further discord. 

Is this just me? Genuinely trying to decide if I'm subconsciously looking for a scapegoat, or if others feel the same. 

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yes I see your point.

But what so you want them to do, post something like this?

tfw GIF

My point is they had two posts that were respectful and bigger than football - Teale's birthday and Sid. That's plenty of content for one day. Sometimes the hardest decision to make is doing nothing. I think we are embarrassing ourselves posting a clip of us beating Wolves 4-1 two years ago. 

Social media, especially to the younger generation, is part of how fans connect to the club. The stupid content, and the tin-earred approach to comments and feedback, really grind my gears. 

Anybody remember "my neck, my back, my team is class in attack" last season? Lol

Or Borja Baston announced with a photo of Samatta?

They have dropped some proper clangers to be fair.

Although as @Farlz said above, not sure it's that deep.

1 hour ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Social media, especially to the younger generation, is part of how fans connect to the club. The stupid content, and the tin-earred approach to comments and feedback, really grind my gears. 

It's cos you're old bro.

Two bits of content isn't "enough" for the day.

I'm with your general thoughts tbh, but try not to let it bother you. You'll go mad looking at social media. It's just a load of noise.

There's a bit of a trend right now, which will probably become standard and start leaking into real life, where people aren't allowed to enjoy anything because of XYZ that happened ABC months ago. The top end are pulling away from the rest of football and like shitting on everyone else.

You aren't allowed to enjoy a win over Leicester in the cup because we went on to lose the final. Nope, sorry. HAHA.

Can't enjoy a year since we won at St. Andrews because we lost last night to Leicester.

Football will start getting very old in 15 years when 20 more clubs are out of business and Man City have won 45 of the last 60 available domestic trophies.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Found this thread but the social media team have caused a bizarre non issue that they posted lyrics to a Tielemans song when scored vs England.

This has brought out an incredible number of idiots on the clubs X page that it's funny. Some have labelled the club traitors😂

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Found this thread but the social media team have caused a bizarre non issue that they posted lyrics to a Tielemans song when scored vs England.

This has brought out an incredible number of idiots on the clubs X page that it's funny. Some have labelled the club traitors😂

I haven’t seen any rage from Villa fans but it does seem to have wound up a few non Villa fans (mainly Bluenoses). There’s quite a number of other clubs fans that are defending it tbf.

I didn’t mind it though it was a tad overexcited but the official Twitter page seems to have become more and more like a tik tok account recently anyway which I’m not generally keen on. 

Edited by WallisFrizz

Absolutely not a problem with it 

I was grinning like a Cheshire cat with youris goals last night 

Same as when the club post things about religious festivals around the world some people seem to forget we're a global club with a global fanbase - I know for a fact we've got a good Belgian lions set up - it draws out some absolute idiots and we statistically used to have one of the worst online fanbases which I'm not sure if that's still the case 

• Like 3

We want our club to be a brand that appeals to fans on a global level and this is part of it.

I was delighted to see Youri score two last night because of what it might mean for his confidence when he gets back to Bodymoor Heath. That said, it might also have something to do with how much I despise the England team and its management at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

And it was a friendly of all things.

exactly. if youri score a brace to beat england in the semi final there's no way the official twitter would've been as excitable

50 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

We want our club to be a brand that appeals to fans on a global level and this is part of it.

I was delighted to see Youri score two last night because of what it might mean for his confidence when he gets back to Bodymoor Heath. That said, it might also have something to do with how much I despise the England team and its management at the moment.

Put in context they also congratulated Poland, and posted about our players that play for England, France, Brazil etc

• Like 1

Â