Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Dont get me wrong I ****ing love lisicki but everyone seems to be focusing on her loss rather than Marion's victory which I think is a shame.

Yep they all predicted lisicki and have failed to give Bartoli the credit she deserves. She's been brilliant all tournament. As bad ad lisicki played Bartoli never gave her any breathing space.

Yeah, it probably sounded better in his head.  I think he was trying to make the point that it is not always the most naturally gifted player who wins. 

Not even just that. He's trying to say that she's not tall and elegant; not going to win fans by being charismatic, but by dogged determination.

Basically comparing her to Holman, which I think is a fair point. Technically she's dreadful. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

It was more a comparison to Sharapova, how she uses her looks to win fans. Whereas Bartoli lets her playing do the talking.

Again, I can see where he's coming from but he's gone about it in a stupid and tactless way.

"You are never gonna be a looker"

What a word removed...

For me it just underscores the snivelling bias that the BBC had towards the German player, a bias that was based almost exclusively on her looks. The pretty 'blonde' white girl who dumped out Williams and was 'destined' to win. Even when Bartoli won they focused on Lisicki's performance or on her despair at losing.

Pretty shocking stuff but then I'm not really surprised, the BBC have put a lot of effort into lowering the standards of their sports programming over the last decade or so.

Â