Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Cripes.  78,610 cases today.  Record smashed.

How high can it go per day?  If it's doubling every 2-3 days can we expect £160,00 in a couple of days?   

I'm not sure the testing capacity we have will be able to cope eventually - we'll see the official number being high, but in the community, it'll obviously be much higher.  That and it occurred to me that some people selfishly might not want to test with the fear of having to isolate over Christmas. 

Luckily my sister-in-law gave me a link through her work to get boostered on Saturday rather than 6th January.  I'd be gutted to miss out on Christmas as it's the first one I've actually looked forward to in years.  Let's hope anyone who gets it does indeed get it mildly.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Luckily my sister-in-law gave me a link through her work to get boostered on Saturday rather than 6th January.  I'd be gutted to miss out on Christmas as it's the first one I've actually looked forward to in years.  Let's hope anyone who gets it does indeed get it mildly.

I looked a few days ago and apart from a couple of appointments on the 24th all others were 29th onwards.

I looked against yesterday and there was loads of new appointments added, pretty much immediate availability.

I’d suggest anyone who has a booking for 2+ weeks time has a look at amending to an earlier slot.

• Like 1

Independent SAGE are calling for an immediate circuit break, then relaxed over Christmas. 

The opportunity for early action has been lost and the time for further delay is over. The situation is so urgent we must take emergency action now and that means it is imperative to reduce contacts. Advice is no longer enough since it does not convey the urgency of the situation.

Accordingly we now call for an immediate 10 day circuit break to then enable limited mixing from the 25 to 28th December. All measures should be re-evaluated over that period to determine what needs to happen after Christmas.

Edited by trekka

On 14/12/2021 at 16:08, Rugeley Villa said:

Can see the same happening for Canary Islands , but as you say a lot can change and will change 

Spanish rules apply to the Canaries as they are governed by them. I should be on a beach in Gran Canaria right now, but seeing as my lad has only had 1 jab we've had to cancel. I've made sure to let him know it's all his fault and he's spoilt xmas :) 

Edited by Craigyh74
  • Haha 1

Just now, Genie said:

60% of cases in London are Omicron (BBC News just now). Manchester also extremely high percentage.

They would be.

Always got to be second to London just to show :P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

There is nothing conclusive either way so it tends to just fall into political lines doesn’t it.

If you are of a ‘right wing’ persuasion and naturally suspicious of China you believe (and even seek out) the experts who favour a cover up from China. 

If you are of a left wing persuasion and don’t want to point fingers without proof you believe the experts who say it is likely a natural phenomenon.

We all line up behind our chosen experts and argue the case on their behalf 😁 

The Chinese are hardly grafting to find out it's origin though are they.

If it were us, there would be billions of pounds worth of new companies set up to find the original cause.

12 minutes ago, Craigyh74 said:

Spanish rules apply to the Canaries are governed by them. I should be on a beach in Gran Canaria right now, but seeing as my lad has only had 1 jab we've had to cancel. I've made sure to let him know it's all his fault and he's spoilt xmas :) 

There are around 17 million people who are to blame ahead of him. 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

The Chinese are hardly grafting to find out it's origin though are they.

If it were us, there would be billions of pounds worth of new companies set up to find the original cause.

Do you reckon we’d know if the Chinese government were conducting investigations though? They’re not the most open and transparent bunch 😁

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

If China comes out and says “sorry entire planet, this one’s on us, we **** up, soz”… what next?

Your right they know. Previous scientists investigating have either been told to stop or gone to the re-education compound.

Â