The Royal Family

Genie

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m sure if aliens came , killed the monarchy , dissolved Parliament and gave everyone in the country a zillion pound , free clean energy and a go on Ana De Armas on your birthday , those people would still find something to protest about 

You’re Douglas Adams and I claim my £5.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I wonder how much these enormous military parades cost that you see in Russia and similar countries. They happen every year as well. I assume there is a cost to the.  I mean driving a few hundred WW2 tanks through he street must cost a fortune in fuel. 

I guess the question is, if we didn't do this kind of stuff for The Royals would we just replace it with something else similarly costly.  Are there any countries that literally do nothing? Have no taxpayer funded parades or national celebrations? 

I mean, most countries don’t do military parades like the flipping Russians do 😅 

4 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I mean, most countries don’t do military parades like the flipping Russians do 😅 

Dunno. A lot of former Communist countries do. China, North Korea etc. 

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Dunno. A lot of former Communist countries do. China, North Korea etc. 

One might say those are still communist countries 😉 But yeah, there’s a trend there, isn’t it. Most countries aren’t like that. 

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Neither of those are former communist countries

Sod it, I’ll go full Marxist and insist that they were in fact never truly communist at all 😉

• Like 2

Just now, El Zen said:

Sod it, I’ll go full Marxist and insist that they were in fact never truly communist at all 😉

Well yes, hence my not entirely specific wording. Leaving it up to the reader to decide :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Zen said:

One might say those are still communist countries 😉 But yeah, there’s a trend there, isn’t it. Most countries aren’t like that. 

It's almost like there's no full stop in there (that's going to be my excuse) 

But yeah, that's what that flavour of countries do. I'm sure other countries do other things. I'm not sure we dump Royalty and all public celebrations and cost stops. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's almost like there's no full stop in there (that's going to be my excuse) 

But yeah, that's what that flavour of countries do. I'm sure other countries do other things. I'm not sure we dump Royalty and all public celebrations and cost stops. 

😂

No, absolutely, you’re right. All public celebrations and costs won’t stop, but they can surely be scaled down significantly. And, they’ll also be a lot better if they don’t have to be focused on something so mindnumbingly dull as the Royal ******** Family 😉

• Like 2

Those big national event kinda concerts are usually pretty shite, being overly safe and feeling quite token. So it was refreshing to get something that actually felt like someone had thought about it. It still wasn't Godflesh and Kendrick Lamar but it felt vaguely more up to date and even the veteran performers were doing the big sing along anthems. And the staging and stuff was quite nicely done.

On the downside, it revealed that a lot of singers can't sing. There was some grim sounding stuff there. Richie can't sing anymore, Paloma Faith sounded rough, and all of Take That sounded like middle aged dads at the karaoke after a few shandies. And as nice as the concept of having the Commonwealth sing Higher Love was, either someone **** the mix up or Steve Winwood can still belt it out because you couldn't hear any of them.

But, all in all, a decent harmless bit of uplifting anthem nonsense, interspersed with Arts, Muppets (?!) and references to Charles being a Cassandra like Superman.

9 minutes ago, El Zen said:

😂

No, absolutely, you’re right. All public celebrations and costs won’t stop, but they can surely be scaled down significantly. And, they’ll also be a lot better if they don’t have to be focused on something so mindnumbingly dull as the Royal ******** Family 😉

Dull is purely an opinion (one I hold, I thought the bloody funeral was about as fun) but purely your opinion and obviously not shared by millions of others. 

Yes, we could scale it back and have something cheaper. 

But yesterday every other person seemed to be from America or Canda or Australia or dozens of other countries. All bringing their weird forrin money. 

So yeah. Bastille Day may be a lot cheaper to hold but I doubt it's attracting tens of thousands of paying tourists. 

Actually I'd love to see the size of those crowds if all the tourists were removed.  Just a bit down or 1/3 smaller for example. 

I just think there are arguments both ways. 

I vote to supersize Notting Hill Carnival and make it bigger than Rio. And add a bit of New Orleans Mardi Gras titty flashing for a bonus. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robby b said:

Hang on, so Camilla is now "Queen Camilla", ok. But then why wasn't Prince Philip called King Philip?

I think because King outranks Queen and as Liz was the monarch you can’t have someone with a title that outranks the monarch. It’s probably more nuanced than that, with fancier words, but that’s my hunch.

I assume it’s always been like that. It was Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

Side note, because the title is bit grander, I daren’t imagine what a “King Albert” piercing would involve :unsure:

• Thanks 1

King outranks Queen and king is a title that can only be inherited in the UK tradition. The monarch can't be outranked by their spouse, hence a Queen has a Prince Consort.

Iirc this is alleged to have pissed off Phillip massively. He didn't like the idea he was officially subservient to his wife. Which is why when he was made Prince by the Queen they made a bigger deal out of it than they would have otherwise - ostensibly as a way of giving him the respect and rank he wanted whilst also fitting into the tradition of his not being a king. Supposedly in private he was the boss of the family as well, he was only prepared to be subservient to his wife in an official capacity.

Phillip has an interesting story. His family were exiled from Greece when he was a toddler because they were blamed for Greece getting the shit kicked out of them in a war with Turkey, leading to the family essentially becoming the royal black sheep of Europe, relying on extended family help and handouts, half his family were literal Nazis, his mother went mad and ended up in an asylum, his sister, who he was very close to, was killed with her family in a plane crash, and then he was sent to live in the UK with another relative. He eventually ended up in the Navy, during WW2, and by most accounts was a pretty good sailor (even accepting for the usual 'royals get promotions like other recruits go to the toilet' thing). His background meant he wasn't considered a good fit for Elizabeth and he wasn't popular, being a foreigner with Nazis in the family and coming from a royal line which was literally bouncing around Europe getting hand-outs and favours from their other relatives. But Elizabeth apparently loved him so that was eventually accepted as a union. And of course he infamously is alleged to have had numerous affairs and in his day was supposedly a bit of randy old dog with anything in a skirt.

Anywho... Camilla was Queen Consort, which is a title with no rank really (essentially just defining you as officially **** the king), but Charles has decreed that Camilla is Queen, full stop, which gives her more weight and standing than she would have had.

• Like 1

Â