Do you read?

Luke_W

anyone read the philip kerr bernie gunther books?

thinking of xmas presents, my gran is in to crime thrillers but im not sure if the history element will be overpowering

If you go a few pages back they're discussed by a few people inc me.

I think they're great books and, no, the historical element is not overpowering at all. There is a bit of sexual content though...if your Grand doesn't mind that sort of thing.

If you go a few pages back they're discussed by a few people inc me.

I think they're great books and, no, the historical element is not overpowering at all. There is a bit of sexual content though...if your Grand doesn't mind that sort of thing.

Not just sexual, but rather nasty sadistic sexual. One of the elements that spoils them for me.

In that WWII espionage genre, Downing > Furst > Kerr, IMHO.

• 1 month later...

having enjoyed the previous 2 works of his that I've read (Death on he ice & Empire of Sand) , I just ordered

51VfUFgbXYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Yeah, I like Ryan, although he can be patchy. He started repeating himself with some of his WWII books, but returned to form with Empire of Sand. Not read anything by him since that one.

hard-boiled-wonderland-and-the-end-of-the-world.jpg

which was very good indeed.

I read that a few weeks ago. Some Freudian/Jungian subconscious business going on. It reminded me of 1Q84 in that it was brilliant at times but disappointed overall. He hasn't equalled Wind-Up Bird Chronicle for me.

9781593764272.jpg

Currently reading this and it's interesting but a bit of an ordeal, not my usual reading material. Most of it is 20 years old but you realise how things don't change, as with the recent HSBC money laundering.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my favourite books are:

Papillon - Henri Charrierre

Godfather - Mario Puzo

Paul McGrath auto biography

Anthony Kiedis auto biography

Fatherland, Enigma, Pompeii - Robert Harris

Lord of the rings triology - Tolkein

Edited by mikeyp102

This may belong in the New Year's resolutions thread, but I've decided I MUST buy fewer books this year. I was going to say "none", but I know that's unrealistic.

I've got a "short list" of books to read, in a case next to the bed that has over a hundred books in it. I'm 59 this month, and time is running out to get through them.

Given that this means little or no re-reading, I've spent the last couple of days taking old books to local charity shops. Didn't count them, but it's hundreds - and I haven't finished yet. It feels slightly sad - like saying goodbye to old friends and lovers - but it's also highly cathartic.

Clear the decks!

I've got Edward Thomas' Collected Poems on the go, which includes his war diary. He doesn't get taught as much as Owen/Sassoon/Rosenberg in schools, but he's (imo) a far more interesting writer.

I've also got some graphic novel called 'Corto Maltese: Ballad of the Salt Sea' too, and it is excellent so far.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

I bought two books last night by Thomas ligotti, he apparently takes a lot of influence from Poe and lovecraft which sits well with me as they are two of my favourites.

The first one I am reading at the moment is "my work is not yet done" which seems pretty good but I'm still early on in it so I'll say more once I have finished it

The second one (the one I am really looking forward to reading) is called something like "teatro grotesco" a collection of short stories.

Hopefully I will have found a new author and will be able to delve into the back catalogue and uncover a few gems

Â