MaVilla

Yes.

I was reading an article many months back now (I forget where).

It was a preview of them before their champions league ties against Spurs, and they went really in depth of how they run the club and the academy etc. Overmars & Van Ser SaaS and I think also one of the De Boer was present.

But as the opening post says. Amazing academy and very well run club.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yes.

I was reading an article many months back now (I forget where).

It was a preview of them before their champions league ties against Spurs, and they went really in depth of how they run the club and the academy etc. Overmars & Van Ser SaaS and I think also one of the De Boer was present.

But as the opening post says. Amazing academy and very well run club.

yeah they have a culture that runs right through the club from top to bottom.

Hopefully thats something we can say about ourselves in a couple of years......

• Like 1

Ajax have a great system and a culture with a commitment to youth

BUT they are no angels, they are no different than Bayern Munich in that they raid lesser clubs in Netherlands for players on the cheap. De Jong was signed for €1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ajax have a great system and a culture with a commitment to youth

BUT they are no angels, they are no different than Bayern Munich in that they raid lesser clubs in Netherlands for players on the cheap. De Jong was signed for €1

How did they sign de jong for €1?, poach him from another youth system?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame for Ajax that they didn't get automatic Champions League qualification. Instead they have a couple of rounds to get through, the first being against PAOK which is no easy task and they drew in the first leg. 

Without going into the season secure in the knowledge that they have CL football though, it makes the already difficult task of trying to get their stars to give them another season even harder, while also making recruitment that bit tougher too.

Edited by Troglodyte

shit for PAOK too, great achievement winning the greek league, 1st time in 35 years, never been in the CL group stages and then draw ajax in the qualifiers

as for ajax, eiting, de wit, gravenberch, schuurs all step up this season, lang maybe next season (they sold nunnely) they'll keep churning them out

will be good if Holland can go on to replicate their success, got a potential golden generation on the go

They are nothing special, they are just like other "feeder" clubs like lyon, benfica, Porto etc. Get young players in and big clubs can see them playing at a reasonable level so they are willing to take a chance that they can make the step up.

With good recruitment you can make a lot of money and re-invest to continue the cycle. If you do get a "golden generation" then you will only ever have a one season window as you cant break your wage structure to keep players.

The big thing is not to waste the money you get from player sales instead, you keep the club sustainable and future proof. They seem to be run well and have the right ideas about the club and what they can and can't do.

Edited by villa89

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They are nothing special, they are just like other "feeder" clubs like lyon, benfica, Porto etc. 

I disagree

with ajax im disappointed to see the band broken up, I feel like they should be where they were last season, when you see the top table of European football and then ajax either not making the CL or struggling to get out of the group stage I always feel a bit sorry for them

I think there's something romantic about them as an underdog playing really good football with mostly home grown or well scouted talent (whilst accepting at the same time they hoover up 75% of talent in Holland) and I want them to do well, soft spot for them because of that 90s team

none of those other clubs have produced anything like whats come through Ajax's academy

Edited by villa4europe

Just now, villa4europe said:

with ajax im disappointed to see the band broken up, I feel like they should be where they were last season

Yeah but it's just not realistic in modern football. Remember when Porto won the CL under Mourinho, half their team left. Ajax might be a big name historically but that counts for nothing these days. I don't follow the eredeivise but it seems competitive and well supported so I don't think life is too bad as an ajax fan. They just wont be winning European trophies again any time soon.

2 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

It's a shame for Ajax that they didn't get automatic Champions League qualification. Instead they have a couple of rounds to get through, the first being against PAOK which is no easy task and they drew in the first leg. 

Without going into the season secure in the knowledge that they have CL football though, it makes the already difficult task of trying to get their stars to give them another season even harder, while also making recruitment that bit tougher too.

Yep, it's almost as if FIFA/UEFA don't want teams outside of the big 10 or so to be successful............

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

It's a shame for Ajax that they didn't get automatic Champions League qualification.

I personally don't believe they deserve it purely on the strength of the Dutch league in general (it leaks talent).  They can't or won't pay the wages.

There is no money in the TV rights as not that many people are interested.  If it was any good they could sell it around the world. 

They cant sell it in Holland as a lot of people watch the Prem anyway.

I still haven't found out what happened to Willem 1.

40 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They are nothing special, they are just like other "feeder" clubs like lyon, benfica, Porto etc.

Its sad that teams Like Ajax, Benfica, Porto are seen as feeder clubs by people

There was a time when they could be the equals of Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich etc. 

The money is now concentrated on a few leagues and a few clubs from within those leagues. We'll never see a Steaua or Red Star be the champions of Europe again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I personally don't believe they deserve it purely on the strength of the Dutch league in general (it leaks talent).  They can't or won't pay the wages.

There is no money in the TV rights as not that many people are interested.  If it was any good they could sell it around the world. 

They cant sell it in Holland as a lot of people watch the Prem anyway.

I still haven't found out what happened to Willem 1.

Funnily enough overmars has reformed parts of the ajax setup over the last couple of years to pay higher wages if the scenario warrants it, which is why they have managed to hold on to players like ziyech for longer than expected.

Also allowed them to resign players like blind as they are now willing to pay the wages for certain players if it benefits the team.

People say about Barcelona and how they are a titan now but wasn't they always a bit shit? Like near the top but not all powerful. Bit like arsenal/Chelsea these days? I don't think they won the champions league until the mid 90's

12 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

People say about Barcelona and how they are a titan now but wasn't they always a bit shit? Like near the top but not all powerful. Bit like arsenal/Chelsea these days? I don't think they won the champions league until the mid 90's

They had 1 win up until 2006

before they won the European cup they still had luis suarez, kubala, Kocsis, Cruyff, Neeskens, Simonsen, Schuster, Maradona, lineker won the league 10 times and the cup 22 times

it would be interesting to see if people listed the 10 best footballers of all time how many of them would have played for barca, , i think probably 4 (messi, Maradona, Cruyff, Ronaldo) that's going to be more than any other club and spans the 70s, 80s, 90s 00s until now

for some reason my following of barca comes from luis Enrique, cant even remember why, I think I was watching a game on sky and someone over hit a cross field pass to him, he was stood on the by-line and he jumped up in the air full stretch and caught it before it went out, he got booked, I thought it was hilarious, then went to watch them at wolves and that was that followed them ever since, I follow inter milan because as a boy i saw youri djorkaeff score a stunning overhead volley for them on Transworld sport one Saturday morning...I can see why kids of all ages for the last 50 years would take interest in barca with the players they had

Â