Final placing  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Final placing

• 4th and 'Champions' League
    • 5th - 6th - UEFA Cup here we come
    • 7th - 9th what might have been...
    • 10th - 13th treading water
    • 14th - ...... surely not

I had a look at what you needed to get 4th - 9th in the last five years to help as well -

4th - 68 67 61 60 67 Best = 68

5th = 60 65 58 56 64 Best = 65

6th = 58 63 58 56 (Villa) 60 Best = 63

7th = 56 58 55 53 59 Best = 59

8th = 55 56 52 53 52 Best = 56

9th = 54 55 52 52 51 Best = 55

With 41 points and 14 games left including 6 at home in the bottom half and 3 of the bottom 5 away there are a lot of winnable points. 63 points has been the best needed to get 6th place in the last five years and would also be our best tally since the premiership went to 38 games over 15 years ago to show what an achievement it would be. You would expect this to get a definite top 6 finish and European place

We would need 22 more points - 6 wins and 4 draws and 4 defeats. I reckon we will do this, even if we get a few injuries. Worst case scenario for me would be about 56 points which co-incidentally was the total we got last time we got in the top 6 and would probably see us finish about 7th/8th

things are definately on the down turn

a few players need to be rested and we are approaching suspensions for no fewer than 6 players in the starting 11

a bad game and we could loose them all for an important match

and add a few injuries to that and we'll be playing our 17yr old reserves in the prem

Man City are gone, Pompey are slipping too far behind. It think 4,5,6 will be decided by us, Everton and the Pool. I think we will probably be alright injury-wise unless something catastrophic happens, because unless I am mistaken there is only one game per week from here on in.

And who knows, if Routledge turns out to be the missing piece of the puzzle we might turn a few more draws into wins...

I think Liverpool will recover and take that 4th spot back, pushing Everton and us into 5th and 6th respectively.

I think West Ham are the dark horse. They are getting results, even with so many missing.

I thought that 8th place would be a satisfactory finish when the season started and would demonstrate steady sustainable progress. Now with 14 games to go at the approximate rate of a game a week it looks as if we can do slightly better than 8th.

6th would be an excellent finish given the size and experience of our squad but it could happen as we have enough classy players to keep getting the points as long as key players avoid injury and suspension.

God forbid that we have a tremendously successful run in and get a championship league place because this squad could not cope with both premiership and CL campaigns and could lead to a really dodgy season in 08/09, and experience now tells us that one summer transfer window would not solve that situation. We are still a couple of years away from adding the quality and depth to the squad to survive at that level.

So, 6th it is then! UP THE VILLA!!!!

I had a look at what you needed to get 4th - 9th in the last five years to help as well -

4th - 68 67 61 60 67 Best = 68

5th = 60 65 58 56 64 Best = 65

6th = 58 63 58 56 (Villa) 60 Best = 63

7th = 56 58 55 53 59 Best = 59

8th = 55 56 52 53 52 Best = 56

9th = 54 55 52 52 51 Best = 55

With 41 points and 14 games left including 6 at home in the bottom half and 3 of the bottom 5 away there are a lot of winnable points. 63 points has been the best needed to get 6th place in the last five years and would also be our best tally since the premiership went to 38 games over 15 years ago to show what an achievement it would be. You would expect this to get a definite top 6 finish and European place

We would need 22 more points - 6 wins and 4 draws and 4 defeats. I reckon we will do this, even if we get a few injuries. Worst case scenario for me would be about 56 points which co-incidentally was the total we got last time we got in the top 6 and would probably see us finish about 7th/8th

This should mean we're 7 wins away from being UEFA cup certainties. Looking at the fixtures we have Fulham, Newcastle, Reading, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Bolton, Derby, SHA and Wigan to play who are all well below us in the league. That's 9 games to pick up 7 wins from, minus anything we get from games against Arsenal, Portsmouth, Man Utd (yeah right), Everton and West Ham. Surely even with a couple of injuries we should now be starting to expect a UEFA cup place?

We'll end 6th, but I'd be worried if Spurs win the Carling Cup. That's why I'm backing them for alot of money to do just that, win win. Everton & Liverpool will be ahead of us, City will fall away after the next 3 games, Pompey & Blackburn will be within 3 point of us though.

Â