Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

There's talk that Arsenal women will be one of the first WSL teams to wear different shirts to the men's side this season. My hope is that if this is resolved, we follow suit. 

I think it's poor form regardless of the shirt quality, to keep putting out women's kits with white shorts. There's been enough reported on this for me to not go into detail, I just think there are other colours we can pick for the shorts and other materials for the shirts to make the women feel as comfortable and happy as possible in their kit on the day. 

The teams can be knitted together as closely as possible without forcing both teams to go out in the same kits. Bizarre it takes something as embarrassing as this to get a discussion going on it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zero7 said:

Lighten up, it was in jest hence the wink eye. 

These women are dreading their shirts going see through and being publicly humiliated, got my front row seat to oggle at them! Hubba Hubba!

Hahaha good joke. 

This kit problem is not a new thing, I remember England wore a lightweight cellular fabric shirt specifically designed for Mexico'70 to avoid excessive perspiration, it's just amazing that 53 years later our kit providers for the men's and women's teams, are producing such a poor shirt for us. I assume the other team's that they provide shirts for don't have the same problem. Is it that we or they went "cheap as chips" for our shirts?  

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

These women are dreading their shirts going see through and being publicly humiliated, got my front row seat to oggle at them! Hubba Hubba!

Hahaha good joke. 

front seats were taken, have to go for row w 😜

5. Aston Villa
Aston Villa had a brilliant 2022-23 and have shown ambition again this summer, making several smart signings - including England defender Lucy Parker - and retaining the core of last season's hugely successful squad. It is a big ask to break into the top four though, and while I think they will narrow the gap even more, I still think they need time to build a squad capable of competing with the top teams on a consistent basis. Another fifth-placed finish and a decent cup run should be considered a success for Villa.

Last season: 5th

I agree. Think we can close the gap again but the actual leap for top 4 will still be too much this season. 

Stating the obvious but our opening 5 fixtures will tell us a lot considering how difficult they are. 

• Like 2

On 27/09/2023 at 18:22, ferguson1 said:

Was really looking forward to the start of the WSL on Sunday and now for all the wrong reasons, the spotlight will be on the Villa game.

I just hope they can think of a way around this issue before the weekend game. No player should feel uncomfortable and their dignity compromised.  

Absolutely right they should play in whatever kit they feel comfortable in and clearly the current one doesn’t achieve that. Anyone there on Sunday should (and will) get behind them whatever they wear. The kit suppliers are clearly out of their depth and need to be ditched and the shirt sponsors are irrelevant because we don’t want them on the shirts anyway.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’d imagine they could wear the strip with an underlay on beneath it? 

According to the article about it on The Athletic, the sports bras/underlays worn anyway do have some effect, but the sweat still pools above and below regardless.

Absolutely shambolic that it's even gotten to this stage. The kit issues have been glaringly obvious since the men's US Tour, probably before. Hope something gets put in place by the weekend, especially for the women. 

• Like 1

I’m sure they could wear some training type top and stick the sponsor on the front? Or dig out last season’s kit and tape over the old sponsor? If they aren’t comfortable wearing the new home kit, then they should just refuse to wear it. That will force Castore to act due to the bad publicity. 

5 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I’m sure they could wear some training type top and stick the sponsor on the front? Or dig out last season’s kit and tape over the old sponsor? If they aren’t comfortable wearing the new home kit, then they should just refuse to wear it. That will force Castore to act due to the bad publicity. 

I'm sure the WSL would fine us, but totally agree it could be very embarrassing for the players

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

I'm sure the WSL would fine us, but totally agree it could be very embarrassing for the players

Why would the WSL fine us? I think as along as they wear something with the sponsor, it should be ok I would have thought? Not sure the WSL would care. 

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Maybe fine us for not wearing the correct kit, I dunno. It's turning into a bloody farce anyway 

Get ya. Agree, real problem for all the players at the club, male and female. Hope the WSL game at the weekend doesn’t become a media circus though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It would be even more embarrassing for the WSL than the players if they fined us. The pushback from fans players and clubs would be deafening. It would set back their stance of being a game everyone can play 

• Like 1

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

It would be even more embarrassing for the WSL than the players if they fined us. The pushback from fans players and clubs would be deafening. It would set back their stance of being a game everyone can play 

It'll be embarrassing for the players if they are forced to wear wet t shirts to do their day job. The club can sort any fine out with Castore or whoever made the bloody things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It'll be embarrassing for the players if they are forced to wear wet t shirts to do their day job. The club can sort any fine out with Castore or whoever made the bloody things. 

Absolutely and to be honest I can't imagine the wsl would want the bad press if issuing fines anyway 

Â