Matt Targett

villan-scott

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If he thought Villa's training was equally intense, why would he have noticed the intensity of Newcastle's training? Why mention it then?

It could be surprise that the training is almost or as intense as at Villa.

On 21/04/2022 at 07:22, weedman said:

Look its pretty clear to me. Obviously we would rather have Targett now that Digne is out, however, given that we're pretty comfortably stuck in mid table, the club clearly took a bit of a risk and decided that whatever finances were involved in the deal were more important than a player that would, with any luck, not feature for us for the rest of the season and destroy his value sitting on the bench. 

It's easy to look back now and say we should have kept him, but honestly how many extra points are we gaining with Targett playing instead of Young for 5 or 6 games? We may also plan to play a youngster there for the last couple of games now there's no real risk to help prepare them. We just don't know. 

Its all far too "Fifa" to me to just assume that every first team player we sign will move the player they replaced to the bench rather than sell them. We have rich owners but we can't destroy our players value just in case our first teamers get injured at some point because we'd never bring in any money from sales - hasn't our inability to ever sell a player for actual money been something we've all constantly moaned about for years and something that heavily contributed to our financial meltdown? 

After signing Digne, our first choice, we had 2 other left backs, one we could realistically command a £15/20m fee for, and one that has no value due to his age. We sold the one with value and kept the one without to stay as a backup 

I think thats a fair comment.....Only Jack was an exception.

we tend to buy expensive and sell cheap, which is not a good combination.

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Targett isn’t very bright and a total wet wipe. Hope we get a decent transfer fee for him. 

Great way to respect a guy who is still a Villa player 🙄

On 21/04/2022 at 01:16, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I understand what people are saying on this one, in a sense.

But let's be real, are we never going to try and get quality competetion for each pitch position, to spare players " feelings " ?

I've said more than once, I would have forced him to stay, until at least the end of the season.

But on the other hand, if a player makes it clear they are unhappy and want to move, what do you do? It's a tough one.

I think this is also something which also comes down to personality types and mental strength.

I'd sooner see us let Ashley Young go, and bring Targett back in. Most f us love Targett, but let's not pretend as if all of a sudden he has been Roberto Carlos.

His best performances this season, ironically, came under Gerrard. He was one of the players letting us down this season, after being outstanding the season before.

Read back through the thread of this season for reminders. Most people admitted that whilst he is a good player, he is limited.

It very much seems he is the confidence and needs an arm around type.

This wouldn't be the first time managers have benched or.moved on " fan favourites " for not being able to play in a certain system though?

I'm not conviced about him, even when he got the accolades of last season....Jack, for me was a big part of his form....when Jack went, he was exposed, and Sarr ably exposed him.

I never felt, he bought in to the club, like some players do, Hutton, Elmo.....and as soon as Digne arrived, he wanted out.....thats not a fighter, thats a quitter, I don't want quitters.....sorry, but thats my view.

I have watched him for Newcastle, and still not convinced, got skinned against Spurs and once again, out of postion.....He does the odd good thing, but not for me.

Personally, I don't want him back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

They will.

The Guardian had a celebratory piece on Newcastle yesterday, focused on how Howe has turned them around. At the end there is a passage about how brilliant Targett has been, where he also speaks about how great the training is at Newcastle.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/apr/21/eddie-howe-manager-of-the-season-newcastle-dan-burn

Targett is similarly optimistic. He has impressed hugely at left-back and, like Burn, has no regrets about saying yes to Howe. “It’s been an unbelievable turnaround,” he said. “This club was in quite a dark, dark place until the new owners came in. But the team’s really stepped up under the new manager.

“The first thing I noticed was that training’s really intense. We do certain drills daily so the manager nails what we need to do in certain areas into our heads. But this season has to be just a stepping stone.”

They have brought in 4 defensive players.....Trippier, Burn, Targett and Guimaraes( defensive midfielder)......not to mention Joelinton ( a unit) deployed in midfield...............and turned their season around.

(Burn to be fair wasn't always playing as a defender at Brighton, so credit to Eddie Howe for deploying him there.)

fair play to them, for turning it around, for what is essentially, not big signings.

as for the training.........He was praising the training under Gerrard too, and saying its a privilege to play for him,and its more intense ( until he brought in Digne) so I don't know, where that line takes us.

Edited by TRO

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

They have brought in 4 defensive players.....Trippier, Burn, Targett and Guimaraes( defensive midfielder)......not to mention Joelinton ( a unit) deployed in midfield...............and turned their season around.

(Burn to be fair wasn't always playing as a defender at Brighton, so credit to Eddie Howe for deploying him there.)

fair play to them, for turning it around, for what is essentially, not big signings.

as for the training.........He was praising the training under Gerrard too, and saying its a privilege to play for him,and its more intense ( until he brought in Digne) so I don't know, where that line takes us.

Long article about Targett in The Athletic  today as well. Main takeaways: Newcastle fans want him signed, Howe may still be undecided. Article commenters suggest it’s tactical play so Villa don’t up the price.

6 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Long article about Targett in The Athletic  today as well. Main takeaways: Newcastle fans want him signed, Howe may still be undecided. Article commenters suggest it’s tactical play so Villa don’t up the price.

Last part if true indicates we didnt include an automatic transfer clause

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

Matt Targett set for Scotland call up. Love the guy now. 

I like Targett but no chance he becomes a Scotland regular. Its the one position they are stacked with Robertson, Tierney and now Hickey

He probably has a better chance declaring for England 😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I am not a particular Targett fan, I don't think he is a bad player, just limited in some area's, I think a full back/wing back should have.....I think he gets caught out of position too often and is not athletic enough to get back quickly enough.....I think Jack made him look, better than he was.

No disrespect to Newcastle fans, but after their doldrums, I am not surprised they think Targett is ok( Eddie Howe on the other hand looks a bit deeper).....but there again, like Jack, other players playing well could make his life easier and him look better.

I am not convinced by him......or Digne (so far)for that matter.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If he thought Villa's training was equally intense, why would he have noticed the intensity of Newcastle's training? Why mention it then?

What would you expect him to say at a Newcastle fluff video? "Nah mate the trainings a bit crap but I guess this tin pot club was never gonna compete with Villa, sooner I get out of this shit hole the better" 

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not a particular Targett fan, I don't think he is a bad player, just limited in some area's, I think a full back/wing back should have.....I think he gets caught out of position too often and is not athletic enough to get back quickly enough.....I think Jack made him look, better than he was.

No disrespect to Newcastle fans, but after their doldrums, I am not surprised they think Targett is ok( Eddie Howe on the other hand looks a bit deeper).....but there again, like Jack, other players playing well could make his life easier and him look better.

I am not convinced by him......or Digne (so far)for that matter.

Completely with you on all your recent posts on MT 👍

Fair play to him for being part of a resurgent Newcastle and in hindsight he would be a better back up to Digne than AY but that ship has sailed, what's done is done. Hopefully a decent enough fee and let's look elsewhere in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The Irony is that the very same posters were shooting down our players saying that " standards have gone up " or Training is more intense " since Gerrard has come in, as just " player talk " under any new Manager.

However, now that Targett has said something along those lines, it's gospel.

More.proof of the obvious. " Truths " simply come down to what people want it to be. Lol

I don't have a clue about the intensity here or there, so it's not "gospel". Targett could be telling it how he sees it, or trying to please his current employer or whatever. I noted that SG could see it as Targett implying Villa's training isn't as intense. Maybe SG doesn't see it like that, he may have other things on his mind. And I don't care because that wasn't the point.

It was an article where Targett was praised, leading to a discussion about what a dig is.

You seem to scan everything for hints in this battle between Gerrard loyalists and haters and it's tiresome. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Completely with you on all your recent posts on MT 👍

Fair play to him for being part of a resurgent Newcastle and in hindsight he would be a better back up to Digne than AY but that ship has sailed, what's done is done. Hopefully a decent enough fee and let's look elsewhere in the summer.

Thanks....

I am bit old fashioned, in my thinking, I know that.....even though I watch so much modern English football and have morphed watching the game, every season.....I still come back to old values, when required and I believe, modern managers do too.

Attitude scores high on the attributes chart for me, where as doing a "Rabona" as delightful on the eye as it is, is a lot lower in my ratings.

I rate the basics, very high indeed.....and in times when things go wrong, many managers talk about going back to them.....The same in most sports.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Â