Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Brighton losing wouldn't have much difference to us, because we can't win our games anyway. If we somehow miraculously manage to do tomorrow what we've been saying we need to do all season but never do, i.e beat one of the divisions better teams then we'll be back to being just three points behind them and possibly outside the relegation zone, not that I have any faith whatsoever in that happening, I can no more truley believe it will happen than I can see out of the back of my head.

We came up spent £140m but unfortunately looks like we messed it up big time.

Surely it means the points total remains low though. E.g Brighton lose they remain on 29 points, possibly lose the other games to the top 6 teams and so they're struggling to get much past 35 points given they've hardly won a game for ages

Now they can push on to 40 points with the injection of belief from the last minute goal no problem and it's realistically a team we won't catch unless we quickly win a game or two.

I think that's the point people are missing a little. When West Brom had that great escape about 15 years ago they didn't get close to 40 points, think they stayed up on 34. Brighton only needed 35 points last season and think in one of Wigan's great escape seasons they were o.k on 36 points.

Every shock win that isn't inevitably us pushes up the final points total needed to survive a little more.

I still think we've got a pretty good chance to stay up if we need 35 points. I suspect it will be higher and it certainly looks a long shot to get to 37-38 unless we start showing more belief and bottle against the better teams in the league.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I just meant it doesn't matter what anyone else does if we can't win our games. Only hope we've got is that we're changed team after the break.

I think we'll win games in the run in. However I'd rather the task was to win 2 and draw 3 and stay up on 35 points rather than have to say win 3 and draw 4 which looks a tall order.

The first one could still be possible if Bournemouth, West Ham and Watford all struggle to win in next few weeks.

Edited by VillaChris

Its in our hands. Rivals losing may help but it we shouldn't rely on that. If we win games, we are safe, if we don't then we go down and deserve to go down.

Villa have a solid side but lacking in goalscoring threat and Smith needs to sort that. Whether it is about playing two up top or getting more players moving forward, we MUST find a real threat up front. Davis could be huge for us but Smith has to work out FAST how to get the best out of him ...... pumping in balls to a player with three big guys on his back is clearly not the way.

We can beat Chelsea, we need to beat Chelsea but if we fail then it has to be two up front after that and we go for it big time !

• Like 1

Good football players bring a high level of intensity to their game, the problem can be that very fine line between intensity & aggression !  We have seen players cross the line before and it isn't pretty. The reverse is a player like Mesut Ozil who it seems plays without any passion. I like Maupay's passion but he needs to tone down the aggression.

7 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Good football players bring a high level of intensity to their game, the problem can be that very fine line between intensity & aggression !  We have seen players cross the line before and it isn't pretty. The reverse is a player like Mesut Ozil who it seems plays without any passion. I like Maupay's passion but he needs to tone down the aggression.

Why? He’s getting away with it week in week out.

Brighton result a real kick in the teeth, but by no means are they out of it now. I think they will do well to get more than 3 points from their next five games. We could be level with them in a fortnight or so. So still 2 from 5. 

As for Maupay;

Is he a word removed = YES.

Do we miss not having a horrible b*stard in our side at times = YES.

Would he have improved our squad = YES.

Is he the new Brazilian Ronaldo = NO. 

I know @villalad21 gets some stick on these forums (usually correctly too 😉) but Benrahma and Maupay in our squad and I think we would be on the beach now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Brighton result a real kick in the teeth, but by no means are they out of it now. I think they will do well to get more than 3 points from their next five games. We could be level with them in a fortnight or so. So still 2 from 5. 

As for Maupay;

I know @villalad21 gets some stick on these forums (usually correctly too 😉) but Benrahma and Maupay in our squad and I think we would be on the beach now. 

Agree. But Maupay chose Brighton and Brentford wouldn’t sell Benzama for 20M. Yes in hindsight we should have done whatever it took to sign them both but it would have been risky spending more than a third of our budget on them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Why? He’s getting away with it week in week out.

I was referring to the stamp. I had no problem with his game today & really don't feel there was attempt to injure on his contact with Leno. I have been watching football for sixty years now and believe we are pussyifing the game. 

Football still remains a contact sport.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree. But Maupay chose Brighton and Brentford wouldn’t sell Benzama for 20M. Yes in hindsight we should have done whatever it took to sign them both but it would have been risky spending more than a third of our budget on them. 

Yep. Totally agree 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

None of the bottom teams are actually losing apart from Norwich

Yeah including us. Think it’s inevitable that teams at the bottom who are fighting will pick up more points, happens every year.

We haven't won a league game since January 21st, of our remaining fixtures apart from Palace at home they're either against the divisions better sides, games we haven't been able to win all season in fact apart from United we haven't even been able to draw those kind of games, I know people will talk about Sheffield United, but I don't count them as one of the best teams in the league being out of practice after lockdown, they will do well to avoid relegation next season. That just leaves our away fixtures and we've only won two of those all  season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I was referring to the stamp. I had no problem with his game today & really don't feel there was attempt to injure on his contact with Leno. I have been watching football for sixty years now and believe we are pussyifing the game. 

Football still remains a contact sport.

Yeah so was I. He didn’t face any action for the stamp. He’s always causing problems even when I’ve watched him playing other teams he reminds me of Suarez. It doesn’t feel like we’re ‘pussyifing’ the sport when I witness Grealish get kicked about the park week in week out.

30 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

As for Maupay;

Agree. The modern game has changed & need players like Benrahma & Maupay type of players.. skillful / penetrating/ good ball control to break thru tight defense.. the big/ strong target man is not so effective anymore .. can’t really think of such type that does well now .. even the best of such like Luakuku is exported & no top 4-5 teams in our league are playing/buying such type. New Chelsea ‘s signing Timo Werner is a good indication of this direction. 

I am surprised we don’t even have a single similar type like Maupay / Benrahama in our squad ... 

• Like 1