Racism Part two

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Really ? In this day and age with a cost of living crisis that is effecting the so called middle classes and businesses whom mid price hotels are staple customers this time more than ever. Ludicrous statement 

Isn’t this reinforcing my point? They’re not a thriving business, regardless of the reason

Penns Hall hotel not far from me closed up to house refugees. Was a nice hotel to be fair, stayed there and been to few weddings. Apparently all the weddings and bookings got cancelled with no real notice before they closed up, big who haa about it. Lovely hotel now, all overgrown gardens, broken fences, basically a shit hole from the outside. Bet the residents on Penns lane in there 500K+ properties love that it's tunred into refuges lodgings.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think you have to look at the statistics. I'd guess (don't have the data to hand) that your chances of success - whether you define that as financial or simply not being at risk of violence - are on average - better if you're white-skinned rather than brown. 

But there are obviously other factors - class, location, family circumstances, etc. Would you rather be a poor white working-class kid on a sink estate, or a middle-class black kid with a private education? 

There's always more to it than ethnicity, but ethnicity still matters (sadly). 

There are

But my point - and I think his - is that he doesn't automatically necessarily see himself as white, he saw himself as a kid with divorced parents from a backwater town first, America saw him as white first

And that to me is a big difference between us and the states

If you asked off the cuff most people here or in public to describe themselves how far down the list do you think a British white male would think to mention the colour of their skin? And is that then privelage? Or is it just not being racially aware because you are so far removed from being racist that you just don't see it?

Because defending him I actually he's so far from being racist that he's ended up saying something the yanks have jumped on for racism which I think is unfair

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I know nothing of the hotel in Knowsley.

But from my own personal experience, there was until recently one hotel in Ipswich I could use for work stop overs. It is now an asylum hotel, or hostel or whatever. The result is that I no longer stay in that hotel. In fact, I no longer stay in Ipswich, I arrange my travel to end up somewhere else at the end of the day.

Why don't you stop there, because you can't book it or because you don't want to stop in a hotel with asylum seekers? 

Asylum seekers wouldn't stop me from booking , I have seen them around and tbh they always seems polite. In fact I wouldn't mind listening to their stories to see what they are about.

Assumptions based on pre conceived ideas are a dangerous game and down right backwards imho. Especially when the assumptions are mainly based on our right wing media.

As for the Hotels housing them, if it's financially better for them than housing normal punters then they will do it, plain and simple.

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Why don't you stop there, because you can't book it or because you don't want to stop in a hotel with asylum seekers? 

Asylum seekers wouldn't stop me from booking , I have seen them around and tbh they always seems polite. In fact I wouldn't mind listening to their stories to see what they are about.

Assumptions based on pre conceived ideas are a dangerous game and down right backwards imho. Especially when the assumptions are mainly based on our right wing media.

As for the Hotels housing them, if it's financially better for them than housing normal punters then they will do it, plain and simple.

I don’t stop there because it’s no longer available, it’s now full of asylum seekers and not a hotel.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I know nothing of the hotel in Knowsley.

According to the Liverpool Echo, Knowsley is the second most deprived borough in England.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/stark-reality-knowsleys-health-inequalities-24498552

The scale of health inequalities across Merseyside have been revealed.

The Marmot report, produced by the Institute of Health Equity for a consortium of local councils, compares the situation for residents across the region, looking at links between deprivation and health inequality.

For Knowsley, the second most deprived borough in the country, where one in four residents are classed as income deprived, the starkness of the situation is revealed.

So, I found out who the protesters were and it's not pretty

Patriotic Alternative, currently the largest Fascist (literal) organisation in the UK. Once the openly Nazi terrorist group National Action became a proscribed organisation, many of it's members joined Patriotic Alternative

Absolute Nazi nutjobs, Hitler hero worship, gay hating, jew hating, Anti-vax with associations to David Duke himself

Previous Home Secretaries would have proscibed them by now

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

According to the Liverpool Echo, Knowsley is the second most deprived borough in England.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/stark-reality-knowsleys-health-inequalities-24498552

I know Knowsley, I don’t know the hotel.

I’m doing a bit of work in Bootle at the moment, so I’ve seen plenty of that area of town.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I had heard another reason but rather hoped it wasn't true.

Do you know what they were chanting?

I'm not sure the majority of the "demonstrators" are actually from the local area.

Edited by tinker

Anyone pretending this was about protecting young girls is either gaslighting or thick.

Fascists have long used 'protection of our women from invaders' as an excuse to commit racist violence. When really, these men are far more likely to be predators  themselves. Just look at who Tommy Robinson hangs out with.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Anyone pretending this was about protecting young girls is either gaslighting or thick.

Fascists have long used 'protection of our women from invaders' as an excuse to commit racist violence. When really, these men are far more likely to be predators  themselves. Just look at who Tommy Robinson hangs out with.

As organisations went, the EDL had a huge problem with abusers and predators, but you know, look over there.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bickster said:

So, I found out who the protesters were and it's not pretty

Patriotic Alternative, currently the largest Fascist (literal) organisation in the UK. Once the openly Nazi terrorist group National Action became a proscribed organisation, many of it's members joined Patriotic Alternative

Absolute Nazi nutjobs, Hitler hero worship, gay hating, jew hating, Anti-vax with associations to David Duke himself

Previous Home Secretaries would have proscibed them by now

Very interesting site, Indigenous Peoples' Day 2021 looked a right hoot

Edited by Follyfoot

6 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Tommy's grift was even more sinister than that.

He'd provoke mistrials on purpose, then report that justice isn't been done when it all fell apart.

Rinse and repeat.

Â