Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

The problem again for me is the indiscipline. Mings didnt need to do that, he was in possession of the ball. It wasnt even a 50 50, he had the ball and chose to slide through Saka. And then McGinn comes flying in. And so both will probably be suspended at some point. I dont mind our players picking up bookings for fouls. It's the unnecessary ones that annoy me, like Konsa v Leeds. Maybe all teams do it though.

What? At what point was he in possession of the ball?

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

nope, not even close

i think he does need to do that too, saka was bossing us at that stage, it was a clean as a whistle thundering tackle that clearly won the ball and then put a little on the man, should have got VP roaring and we should all be sat here today saying what a tackle, best tackle since clark smashed that gut in the leicester game, instead we got a shit ref decision because saka was late to the tackle 

It's an instance of Saka absolutely bossing us from minute one and Mings losing his cool. If Mings stays on his feet he takes that ball away and beyond Saka. Mings created a challenge and a problem out of nothing. I'll defend him for a lot if things, and I think he gets a real unnecessary bad deal from the media and fans. But if an opposition player is dominating us Mings becomes more erratic in his challenges/discipline, its happened loads.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Saka has plenty of time to get out of the way there.

You might say that it's not his responsibility to get out of the way, but it is - when Mings plays the ball (and he his very deliberately trying to play the ball out wide to a Villa man) he becomes the player in possession - any contact that Saka then makes with him is a foul - by Saka.

This is the equivalent of head butting someone's elbow and claiming they should be sent off because your head hurts.

If it's a foul it's in our favour - I don't think it is a foul and the referee should have played on.

I don’t think it was a foul or yellow, but Saka definitely doesn’t have plenty of time to get out of the way when you watch it in real time 

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I don’t think it was a foul or yellow, but Saka definitely doesn’t have plenty of time to get out of the way when you watch it in real time 

That's on him, his speed of thought - he must know he's got no chance of getting to the ball when he's two or three yards away - why he'd then rush into the path of a player that's just slid in to play a pass is a question that only he could answer - although I guess the reaction of the ref is a pretty good indicator.

Been the way for quite a while with the top 6 now.

You see a limb or anything, throw yourself into the way of it and you'll get the free or pen.

Many many examples this season alone.

Premier League football could be made 10x better with some decent refereeing.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's on him, his speed of thought - he must know he's got no chance of getting to the ball when he's two or three yards away - why he'd then rush into the path of a player that's just slid in to play a pass is a question that only he could answer - although I guess the reaction of the ref is a pretty good indicator.

Mings going to ground and the connection is milliseconds. Ignore the Twitter chat but that video shows me that Saka can’t do anything about it. 

31 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Mings going to ground and the connection is milliseconds. Ignore the Twitter chat but that video shows me that Saka can’t do anything about it. 

I get where you're coming from, but in a way that video starts too late - a player of Saka's ability and experience will know he's getting nowhere near that ball before that video starts - in the opening freeze frame he should either be looking to stop himself or already off the ground to jump over Tyrone - it's a peculiar motion to just continue through the tackle as if you're going to get anywhere near the ball. He pops out a right leg in the path of a ball that's a foot and a half past him - picture the whole scene without Tyrone in it at all and you can see just how odd Saka's approach is - he's got no chance of getting the ball, he should know that before Tyrone even enters that picture and he's either too half soaked to get out of the way or just decides to wander out in front of his man to try to win a foul.

• Like 3

I think the place we are now at is that if you slide in for absolutely anything and a forward can manage to get in front of you, you're going to be in trouble - this wasn't the incident earlier in the season where Kane turned around to find a way to get in front of Cash for a penalty, but it seems that if you're on the ground and a forward can find a way to get in front of you, they'll get the free kick. 

It's this season's new clever one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I get where you're coming from, but in a way that video starts too late - a player of Saka's ability and experience will know he's getting nowhere near that ball before that video starts - in the opening freeze frame he should either be looking to stop himself or already off the ground to jump over Tyrone - it's a peculiar motion to just continue through the tackle as if you're going to get anywhere near the ball. He pops out a right leg in the path of a ball that's a foot and a half past him - picture the whole scene without Tyrone in it at all and you can see just how odd Saka's approach is - he's got no chance of getting the ball, he should know that before Tyrone even enters that picture and he's either too half soaked to get out of the way or just decides to wander out in front of his man to try to win a foul.

I think we just see the challenge differently to be honest. When you slow it down and watch it the idea that Saka could have jumped or stopped himself in that space of time isn’t possible IMO. But we agree it wasn’t a foul anyway. Seems like every week there’s controversy atm 

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think we just see the challenge differently to be honest. When you slow it down and watch it the idea that Saka could have jumped or stopped himself in that space of time isn’t possible IMO. But we agree it wasn’t a foul anyway. Seems like every week there’s controversy atm 

Fair enough, for me, in this opening frame, Saka should already be a foot off the ground, that's what I'd normally expect of a striker in this position - I don't know if he just completely misreads the ball, but by this frame he should have realised he's not getting anywhere near it and already be into his evasive action.

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 18.40.46.png

Maybe it's a mental thing, a sort of positive thought gone wrong where he's just persuaded himself it's still there - I don't think he'll have deliberately dangled a leg in front of a sliding Tyrone Mings, but a footballer like Saka wouldn't normally ever be swishing his right boot at a ball that's two ball lengths away - it's weird. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

The problem again for me is the indiscipline. Mings didnt need to do that, he was in possession of the ball. It wasnt even a 50 50, he had the ball and chose to slide through Saka. And then McGinn comes flying in. And so both will probably be suspended at some point. I dont mind our players picking up bookings for fouls. It's the unnecessary ones that annoy me, like Konsa v Leeds. Maybe all teams do it though.

It was a pass from Coutinho I think that was slightly underhit and Mings was caught on his heels a bit and had to slide to knock it away from the incoming Saka.

It wasn't a tackle or a challenge, and Saka was late and collided with Mings. If it was a foul, it was a foul on Mings.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It was a pass from Coutinho I think that was slightly underhit and Mings was caught on his heels a bit and had to slide to knock it away from the incoming Saka.

It wasn't a tackle or a challenge, and Saka was late and collided with Mings. If it was a foul, it was a foul on Mings.

5 hours ago, turvontour said:

It's an instance of Saka absolutely bossing us from minute one and Mings losing his cool. If Mings stays on his feet he takes that ball away and beyond Saka. Mings created a challenge and a problem out of nothing. I'll defend him for a lot if things, and I think he gets a real unnecessary bad deal from the media and fans. But if an opposition player is dominating us Mings becomes more erratic in his challenges/discipline, its happened loads.

Sorry mate but this is complete BS. I sit in Doug Elllis, M4 row F and watched this pattern of play unfold clear as day. Coutinho under hit a simple pass by about 2/3 yards meaning Mings had to be quick on his toes to cut it out with a fully stretched toe. No way he’d reach it without stretching. He did so with good timing and passed it out cleanly to the wing to keep the move going. Saka and Mings collide a second later and the ref blows. No one around me could believe he blew for the foul yet alone gave a yellow for it. 

Blame Phil for the pass if you like and the ref for not having a clue. 

As Lichfield Dean rightly points out!

Edited by noomsy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, noomsy said:

Sorry mate but this is complete BS. I sit in Doug Elllis, M4 row F and watched this pattern of play unfold clear as day. Coutinho under hit a simple pass by about 2/3 yards meaning Mings had to be quick on his toes to cut it out with a fully stretched toe. No way he’d reach it without stretching. He did so with good timing and passed it out cleanly to the wing to keep the move going. Saka and Mings collide a second later and the ref blows. No one around me could believe he blew for the foul yet alone gave a yellow for it. 

Blame Phil for the pass if you like and the ref for not having a clue. 

As Lichfield Dean rightly points out!

I was in the Doug Ellis as well, and nobody could believe it was pulled back for a foul, let alone a booking.

For some reason this incident has been bothering me a lot the last couple of days. Like, why do I bother watching the game when things like this happen? It just doesn't seem to even make sense any more.

• Like 1

It was never a foul and farcical it was looked at VAR. If Saka wants to complain about rough play maybe he should choose another sport, interesting was no similar complaints when Chiellini grabbed him by the neck

• Like 1

Â