VillaTalk Deadpool 2019

Xela

When you talk about great drummers he certainly was one of them . I always prefer drummers who have an element of jazz in their playing. Bonham was a true great too, but on the ear I always preferred Baker and I also preferred Bill Ward who had plenty of swing in his playing. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When you talk about great drummers he certainly was one of them . I always prefer drummers who have an element of jazz in their playing. Bonham was a true great too, but on the ear I always preferred Baker and I also preferred Bill Ward who had plenty of swing in his playing. 

Yeah, I'm not a huge Sabbath fan, but I must admit that when I saw a documentary about them I was very impressed by Bill and Geezer demonstrating their jazz chops. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I must admit that when I saw a documentary about them I was very impressed by Bill and Geezer demonstrating their jazz chops. 

Agreed ; because I live in the past , I tend to think (wrongly) that anything not from the 60's or early 70's isn't worth bothering with. But another example of a rock drummer who can really play a bit is Neal Peart from Rush ! how wrong can I be !!

1 minute ago, veloman said:

Agreed ; because I live in the past , I tend to think (wrongly) that anything not from the 60's or early 70's isn't worth bothering with. But another example of a rock drummer who can really play a bit is Neal Peart from Rush ! how wrong can I be !!

Rush ARE from the 70's :)

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ginger Baker was rather disparaging about Bonham's ability

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Ginger Baker was rather disparaging about Bonham's ability

Nothing like an opinionated musician - Buddy Rich was equally disparaging about Ginger Baker. I don't see the point of trying to compare musicians on some sort of absolute scale - Bonzo was the perfect drummer for Led Zeppelin, as Ringo was for The Beatles and Charlie Watts for the Stones. Nothing else matters. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Nothing like an opinionated musician - Buddy Rich was equally disparaging about Ginger Baker. I don't see the point of trying to compare musicians on some sort of absolute scale - Bonzo was the perfect drummer for Led Zeppelin, as Ringo was for The Beatles and Charlie Watts for the Stones. Nothing else matters. 

Ringo does seem to polarize people  ... i think his sound was failry unique as he was self taught and  played a right -handed rig , left handed , which worked with the Beatles as you say  ... I get the impression a lot of the fills and the way the Beatles used odd time signatures was down to  Ringos creativity , he may not have been a prolific songwriter but that shouldn't underestimate his input

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Is that because he was fugly and didn't distract from John and Paul :trollface:

Drumming skills aside, yes, this is true. Pete Best was allegedly sacked because he was good looking and got all the women (he was also a crap drummer, so it's a moot point). 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Drumming skills aside, yes, this is true. Pete Best was allegedly sacked because he was good looking and got all the women (he was also a crap drummer, so it's a moot point). 

I think the crap drumming was the main reason , interestingly Best's mum was a huge influence on the Beatles even after Pete was fired so if she was bitter she hid it well

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

and  played a right -handed rig , left handed , which worked with the Beatles as you say  ... I get the impression a lot of the fills and the way the Beatles used odd time signatures was down to  Ringos creativity , he may not have been a prolific songwriter but that shouldn't underestimate his input

Not sure you've got that right. Looks fairly standard to me; left hand snare drum, right hand playing ride cymbal or hi hat. There are that many rumours about who played on what, but the most unlikely I heard was Bernard Purdie (he of Steely Dan) claiming to have played on Beatles numbers. Very few Beatles numbers were complicated enough to warrant him. 

11 minutes ago, veloman said:

Not sure you've got that right. Looks fairly standard to me; left hand snare drum, right hand playing ride cymbal or hi hat. There are that many rumours about who played on what, but the most unlikely I heard was Bernard Purdie (he of Steely Dan) claiming to have played on Beatles numbers. Very few Beatles numbers were complicated enough to warrant him. 

tbh i wouldn't know one end of a drum kit from another , its just something most Beatles books refer to about his style of play

The Purdie thing is 100% bollocks though

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Brilliant song . 

It's an overly long piece of hippy bullshit about breaking up with a woman but being cool man. Its just an extension of the hippy free love crap

It's lyrically dreadful in terms of structure and meaning

Oh and it's far too long

Â