VillaTalk Deadpool 2019

Xela

Just now, bickster said:

Not a fan but I could see why people were

Oh can totally understand that. An acquired taste for sure. Obviously very flawed, eccentric as hell, and suffered terribly with mental health issues. 

You may well have already seen it, but I'd highly recommend watching The Devil & Daniel Johnston too. I found I appreciated his music a lot more when I saw what inspired him to write it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Singer songwriter, and artist, Daniel Johnston has died of a heart attack, aged 58. His music would probably leave most leave cold, but to me he was a genius. I'll cherish the two occasions I saw him play live. 

RIP 😥

Sad times. I was only listening to this in the car yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, choffer said:

Sad times. I was only listening to this in the car yesterday. 

Not really listened to him that much but I know a lot of current Swedish artists are were influenced by him.

This Lykke Li one borrows heavy from him. In particular the intro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do listen to singer-songwriters (probably my main genre), but I'd never heard of this guy until now. He has a certain charm, sort of Loudon Wainwright III meets Jonathan Richman. Not sure I'd want to listen regularly, though. 

Eddie Money 70 y.o

Did mostly horrible power pop stuff from what I've heard.

Not really listened to him thou. Mostly recognize his name because they make fun of him on Family Guy...

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, sne said:

Eddie Money 70 y.o

Did mostly horrible power pop stuff from what I've heard.

Not really listened to him thou. Mostly recognize his name because they make fun of him on Family Guy...

Just listening to them talk about him on 101.5 BobRocks US rock radio

On 12/09/2019 at 17:58, mjmooney said:

He has a certain charm, sort of Loudon Wainwright III meets Jonathan Richman. Not sure I'd want to listen regularly, though. 

Hadn't heard mention of Loudon for years. Played with an ace guitarist in the early 70's who really rated him; it was odd I thought because when he joined the band he immediately introduced us to playing some Freddie King numbers - which were ace I thought. Couldn't see the similarity - it would be like me playing liking Sam Smith and  playing Steely Dan numbers 😁

6 minutes ago, veloman said:

Hadn't heard mention of Loudon for years. Played with an ace guitarist in the early 70's who really rated him; it was odd I thought because when he joined the band he immediately introduced us to playing some Freddie King numbers - which were ace I thought. Couldn't see the similarity - it would be like me playing liking Sam Smith and  playing Steely Dan numbers 😁

Does not compute. Who listens to only one genre? I'm a fan of both Loudon Wainwright and Freddie King, can't see any incompatibility there. 

I think you misunderstand me; I was surprised he didn't want us to play Loudon stuff. Instead we played a couple of FK numbers, Groundhogs, couple of Cream numbers etc. I too listen to different genres , possibly with the proviso that they are percussive. I think Loudon had visited the UK about that time  - but it is a long time ago.

(Only knew one Eddie Money track - the one with Ronnie Spector)

5 minutes ago, veloman said:

I think you misunderstand me; I was surprised he didn't want us to play Loudon stuff. Instead we played a couple of FK numbers, Groundhogs, couple of Cream numbers etc. I too listen to different genres , possibly with the proviso that they are percussive. I think Loudon had visited the UK about that time  - but it is a long time ago.

(Only knew one Eddie Money track - the one with Ronnie Spector)

Well, it sounds like you were basically a blues-rock band, and he was an electric lead guitarist, so doing quirky acoustic troubador stuff wouldn't make as much sense as would the then-fashionable Chicago blues repertoire. 

Ric Ocasek from The Cars 😥

Had no idea he was 75 years old. I've sort of rediscovered the Cars over the last couple of years, so this stings a bit extra. Ocasek WAS the Cars. They were the big Boston band when I was growing up, so naturally we sort of ignored them for the most part. Not hard enough for us 15 year old suburban tough guys. As it turns out, Ocasek was a master pop rock songsmith. Pure "New Wave", but they had technical proficiency and avoided a lot of that rock star claptrap. R.I.P. Ric Ocasek.

Edited by maqroll
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Ric Ocasek from The Cars 😥

Had no idea he was 75 years old. I've sort of rediscovered the Cars over the last couple of years, so this stings a bit extra. Ocasek WAS the Cars. They were the big Boston band when I was growing up, so naturally we sort of ignored them for the most part. Not hard enough for us 15 year old suburban tough guys. As it turns out, Ocasek was a master pop rock songsmith. Pure "New Wave", but they had technical proficiency and avoided a lot of that rock star claptrap. R.I.P. Ric Ocasek.

I preferred Ben Orr's vocals. 

Â