Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

Excited and nervous about this.

I know it's just one game but I can't shake the feeling that a win tonight and we can definitely catch the others, it's tangible.

Plus it's the Tesco bags...

Edited by jjaacckk91
Words

3 minutes ago, Dick said:

I think we are due a defeat, that's football though. It's all about bouncing back.

Not sure if this is just trying not to get ahead of ourselves but you talk like we have already lost.

And due a loss(I'd disagree because we deserved our results) maybe but that's not how chance works.

The chance of a coin flip landing on heads is still 50% even if the last 100 times have been heads.

confident in general direction under dean smith, but as ever I am nervous and anticipating defeat in the immediate hours before the match. Weve come through some good tests so far, so every reason to be positive. Perhaps it's the fact we still NEED to pick up the wins rather than the draws to haul ourselves back into the fight for the top 2.

Either way way, should feel positive, confidence and momentum and a bit of extra energy in the legs, here's hoping we nick it. I suppose I must have some confidence as I've actually bet on Jack to score first and a villa win*. It's been years since I've done that, usually I've gone for the consolation mini bet in case of us losing.

*ergo - apologies for when we now lose

56 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Not sure if this is just trying not to get ahead of ourselves but you talk like we have already lost.

And due a loss(I'd disagree because we deserved our results) maybe but that's not how chance works.

The chance of a coin flip landing on heads is still 50% even if the last 100 times have been heads.

Not at all (talking like already lost). I just know the players have put in a monumental effort, it will be hard to keep those levels going - especially when we need reinforcements. 

4 minutes ago, Dick said:

Not at all (talking like already lost). I just know the players have put in a monumental effort, it will be hard to keep those levels going - especially when we need reinforcements. 

True, it'll be incredible if they can keep the levels up, one thing is for certain though Smith, Kelly and JT will have prepared them well and prepared them to attack and try and win the game. If we do that, play well and still drop points then fair enough. Can't ask for more than that.

Still though, if we click we're going to **** hammer anybody in this league IMO. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree with one exception for this game, I would go with Whelan to start and bring Hourihane on later.

We are away and we need to be aware of the pace and threat of Barnes/Phillips the 2 CB's need some protection for a spell, particularly on the counter.

I am not advocating a game of containment, we are doing alright as we are, but we can have a tendency to be overrun in the early stages of a game....we have to avoid that and we cannot afford for midfielders to be "standing off" as we are getting warmed up.

A little bit of insurance in this game for me....even if its just for a half.

I made the exact same comment before the Boro match and Deano made me look daft.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree with one exception for this game, I would go with Whelan to start and bring Hourihane on later.

We are away and we need to be aware of the pace and threat of Barnes/Phillips the 2 CB's need some protection for a spell, particularly on the counter.

I am not advocating a game of containment, we are doing alright as we are, but we can have a tendency to be overrun in the early stages of a game....we have to avoid that and we cannot afford for midfielders to be "standing off" as we are getting warmed up.

A little bit of insurance in this game for me....even if its just for a half.

Be aware of the pace by bringing in Whelan? Right. Let them worry about us.

33 minutes ago, romavillan said:

True, it'll be incredible if they can keep the levels up, one thing is for certain though Smith, Kelly and JT will have prepared them well and prepared them to attack and try and win the game. If we do that, play well and still drop points then fair enough. Can't ask for more than that.

Still though, if we click we're going to **** hammer anybody in this league IMO. :D

Oh I have faith in the management and the team, 100%. It's the best combination we have had in more than 20 years. I just know we lack strength in places and it can cost is. I'd love to be wrong, and even if we do lose I think we will win the next one. 

Feeling confident for this, at least a point.

Teams will be shitting themselves playing us at the moment, don't give them a moments peace on the ball and such a dangerous front-line.

Also a big test of Darren Moore's unproven tactical mind; He's shown he get a team motivated but we know Smith can set up to counter and exploit a team weaknesses.

Edited by penguin

Me and my son are the only Villa fans in the family, the rest are baggies fans so whislt small heath will always be "the big one" this isn't far behind.