Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

not only should we be taking advantage of our form and momentum but we should also be taking advantage of a mainly fit and suspension free squad ( not sure about Albert come to think of it)

But it is pretty rare that the first choice team is available., and im sure there will be more challenging circumstances to come

On 02/12/2018 at 20:23, KHV said:

Friday night away game against Handsworth FC. That's not going to pass without trouble. Stupid kick off time against them. **** Sky 

Been Albion away 6 times and never seen anything more than gobbing off between the fans and a very minor scuffle on a train platform once. 

You our get off the train/tram. Home fans one way, away fans the other and it’s 2 minutes walk to the away end. 

Don’t get me wrong I **** hate the baggies, but it’s nowhere near the same as the blues. There isnt the same intensity and hatred when we play the Albion as when we play blues. The Albion fans absolutely hate us but they’re terrified of us.

On 04/12/2018 at 08:39, Demitri_C said:

I didn't hear one boggies song about wolves. Shows they know they see themselves as significantly smaller than wolves.

I think with wolves villa there is a mutual respect and its more banter.

Wba and the blosers is the same between them.

Albion only really started caring about wolves because of circumstance. We were well out of their league and they were battling more with wolves at the time. Since Albion came back to the prem in the early 00’s they’ve changed their rivalries on a season by season basis. They’re a strange bunch. 

Another away win would take us into the play off places and move us within a point of The Baggies. It would also see us only 5 points off an automatic promotion place. Another 3-0 away win would be very nice would it not?

It has been ten years since we last won at The Hawthorns and we drew there 0-0 when we last visited them 3 years ago. Overall we have won 65 and have drawn 32 of the 144 league games between the two clubs. We are both founder members of the Football League. They have won the FA Cup 5 times and have won both the League Cup and the old First Division once. 

They took a lot too much pleasure in our relegation and recent financial difficulties for my liking, so I for one did not shed a tear last season when they themselves were relegated. For me, a big difference between Albion and another local team who consider us to be their rivals is that over the past fifty years we have generally been less confident of beating them than we have been of beating the bunch from the other side of the city. They had decent teams in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. Players including Cyrille Regis, Ugo Ehiogu, Jimmy Cumbes, Curtis Davies, Jimmy Dugdale, Garry Thompson and our current captain played with some distinction for us after leaving WBA and we both had Big Ron as a former manager.

I would take a point if one was on offer in this battle between two teams who could well both be meeting again in the top flight next season but we have ground to make up and are on a terrific run away from home so may the best team win on Friday. We all know who that is! :flag:         

Edited by John
  • Thanks 2

On the SKY predictor for their live games in December, I accidentally clicked on DRAW instead of Villa WIN.

I was furious with myself, which shows that the old passion is coming back. I wouldn't have been bothered two months ago! 

I hope that Draw prediction doesn't come up!

I read an article by Gregg Evans today, about Dean Smith being on a short list of two with Darren Moore for the Baggies head coach job.

As a one off, our fans should sing (to the tune "Sloop John B") .... He could have been yours, he could have been yours .. Deano, Deano .. He could have been yours !

Assuming we're thrashing them at the time of course!😂

Leeds had over 70% possession and 82% passing accuracy against WBA's 61% and still lost 4-1 last month. Shows it doesn't always go your way despite being on top of the game.

Yet another huge chance to make up ground on a rival and take a step closer to where we want to be. We could move into a playoff place with a win here.

We've been excellent against the competitions top sides under Smith and nothing about WBA makes me think that we can't take 3 points here.

7am KO here on Saturday morning, I'll be watching.

Come on Villa!

• Like 3

I would take a 0-0 draw right now if you offered it.

West Brom are lethal on the counter. Very quick, decisive and good at putting away chances.

However I cant see anything beyond a goal fest for this game because Dean Smith doesnt "do" boring defensive performances :) 

Hopefully we end up with more goals but I am nervous. They have a very good squad.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I don’t understand why so many people would take a draw now if offered it.

We’re not ten points clear at the top, we’re ten points off the top. We’re not keeping a team that could potentially catch us at bay by drawing with them, we’re five places behind them.

If the teams above us win, and we draw, it just moves us another win away from the playoff places.

Couple this with the fact we are one of the most exciting/in form teams in the country right now. Derby, Middlesboro, West Brom all equally strong sides in this division, and we have just won 3-0 at the first two. Oh, and scored nine against two other top ten teams in the intervening period.

Would you take 1-1? No I wouldn't, thanks. Roll the dice.

you are right, we have to win them all or at least go out to.

but other teams are not going to roll over and have their bellies tickled....we have to respect effort, and its not always going to go our way.

I think we can win the game, but whether we do is another thing.

18 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I read an article by Gregg Evans today, about Dean Smith being on a short list of two with Darren Moore for the Baggies head coach job.

As a one off, our fans should sing (to the tune "Sloop John B") .... He could have been yours, he could have been yours .. Deano, Deano .. He could have been yours !

Assuming we're thrashing them at the time of course!😂

woah. massively off topic but major Baader-Meinhoff going on here. I just listened to that song like 10 minutes ago because I said my colleagues message tone on their phone was the same note as the first note of Sloop John B.

spooky