Happiness

allani

I said in the match thread that their desire to win back the ball was astonishing. 

As much as the attacking play and goals aplenty,  its inspiring to see a Villa team just harassing the opposition looking aggressive and hungry, bullying them. 

Dean Smith is some kind of genius. 

I've spent 5 year following this team because it's in my blood and I will never do anything else, but it's been harrowing and depressing. 

Now it's pure joy. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I said in the match thread that their desire to win back the ball was astonishing. 

As must as the attacking play and goals aplenty its inspiring to see a Villa team just harassing the opposition looking aggressive and hungry, bullying them. 

Dean Smith is some kind of genius. 

I've spent 5 year following this team because it's in my blood and I will never do anything else, but it's been harrowing and depressing. 

Now it's pure joy. 

He has stated he is a big admirer of Guardiola. It is starting to show

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

As much as the attacking play and goals aplenty its inspiring to see a Villa team just harassing the opposition looking aggressive and hungry, bullying them. 

This has been the most amazing change for me. It’s all we ever wanted from these players!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, allani said:

I am sure that this should probably go in an existing thread but I couldn't work out which was best because it covers a few different topics.  A non-Villa friend asked me how I felt after today's match and this was my response.

In 2015/2016 when Villa were relegated from the Premier League we scored 27 goals in 38 matches. The season before we managed 31 in 38, The season before was 39. In 2012/13 we went on a bit of a spree and managed 47 (1.23 goals per game). The season before was 37 again (so that was 5 seasons at an average of less than 1 goal per game). Despite Top 10 finishes in 08/09 (6th), 09/10 (6th) and 10/11 (9th) we were still only scoring around 50 goals a season. 
In 2016/17 we scored 47 in 46 matches in the Championship. Last season we somehow managed to end up as the third top scorers in the division despite playing (for long spells) pretty dull football - especially away from home where Bruce's "safety first" approach really shone through.
Indeed you probably need to go back to 2007/08 when we finished 6th in the Premier League and scored 71 goals in 38 games (only Man Utd and Arsenal scored more than us that season) to the last time when Villa played decent football that was fun to watch.
In our last 4 matches we have scored 15 goals (3-0, 4-2, 5-5, 3-0) and it is suddenly fun to be a Villa fan again. Yeah but it is only Championship football I hear you cry. True. But those matches have been against the teams who are 3rd (away), 5th (home), 7th (away) and 9th (home), all are in decent form themselves and will probably all be in the hunt for promotion.
Dean Smith is an absolute breath of fresh air. He wants to try and win every match. He wants us to attack the opposition and try to be creative. We haven't seen this for more than 10 seasons. To be honest I almost don't care what happens in terms of the final table - playing like we are is exciting, fun, entertaining... We will probably get turned over a few times, we will probably concede too many goals, we'll probably drop stupid points here and there - but I don't really care. Football is fun. Thank you Dean Smith. I hope that results keep going our way. I hope the board backs you with a couple of defenders in January and a keeper who can catch a cross. I hope we get promoted and I hope that we try and play the same way in the Premier League. I hope this sets the tone of the approach that this club will take under your management and beyond. Realistically we are light years behind the guys at the top but if we play attractive, entertaining, attacking football with the ethos of trying to win matches rather than not to lose them then I will be a happy fan.

You have a patient friend.  

• Haha 4

It's the first time in a long long time, that I look forward to seeing us play.  

There was a period where I didn't care if we scored. I knew there would be an eventual defeat, maybe a draw with some luck. The same attitudes were reflected in the players. Some were dissintrested, some didn't give a ****, others just lacked belief in themselves. We've decayed and deteriorated every since Martin O'Neill left. And we've had plenty of false dawns along the way. 

Finally theres joy and positivity. Even among the most pessimistic of us . 

I feel like a kid. And it's Christmas evening(when you gett your presents in norway) every matchday. 

I usually don't let Aston Villa affect my everyday life too much. Though I have to admit I feel pretty damned happy to be a villa supportee at the moment. Long may it continue! 

Funny how things are relative. It's December 2018 and we are sitting in 8th place in our 3rd straight season in the C'ship. But people are the happiest they've been in years and years. this is why you are a football fan these moments, these days. Days of new hope. The only thing better is trophies. Villa need to start thinking along these lines. Only trophies now, come on Villa!

• Like 3

Â