Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We've been largely poor and it started even before Grealish got injured.

I'll be honest, I have stuck by Smith for large parts but I am now starting to feel pissed off.

He has had nearly £200m to work with in the last two windows, he has a solid coaching team around him, he has probably two of the best players in world football (Martinez & Grealish) and yet we still look like a Championship team and have done since January.

Many might not agree with me here but if we finish outside the top 10 this season from the start we've had and the position we've been in the for me I would like to see Smith replaced at the end of the season.

Imagine saying that last summer. You'd have been laughed at and rightly so. Madness that this is now starting to creep in. People have allowed their expectations to spiral again. Just like last season. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

So you're going to use the tremendous first half of the season, which no one expected,  against him. Seems fair. 

I'm not using that against him, I'm using the dire performances and results of 2021 against him and have quoted teams that are inferior to us on the pitch where we have dropped points yet people like you constantly claim it's about the players not being good enough.

Even if we got relegated last season I recall you saying the manager should stay so clearly you're one of these people who will back the manager regardless of performance. So we're clearly never going to agree. 

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm saying this now, March 2021 - not last summer.

So you don't look at a season as a whole? 

So klopp should be sacked right now over at Liverpool? After 4 games did you shout that  Dean should be awarded world manager of the year?

Edited by DCJonah

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'm not using that against him, I'm using the dire performances and results of 2021 against him and have quoted teams that are inferior to us on the pitch where we have dropped points yet people like you constantly claim it's about the players not being good enough.

Even if we got relegated last season I recall you saying the manager should stay so clearly you're one of these people who will back the manager regardless of performance. So we're clearly never going to agree. 

No we won't. You're talking about sacking him if he doesn't get 50 pts. Utter madness. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

So you don't look as a season as a whole? 

So klopp should be sacked right now over at Liverpool? After 4 games did you shout that he should be awarded world manager of the year?

Have you even read my original post?

I don't give a shit about Liverpool nor have I mentioned them, I am talking about Smith and Villa.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Have you even read my original post?

I don't give a shit about Liverpool nor have I mentioned them, I am talking about Smith and Villa.

I'm just comparing the madness to other teams. You're using his excellent start to the season against him. What kind of fanbase does that? 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

No we won't. You're talking about sacking him if he doesn't get 50 pts. Utter madness. 

So by challenging him to maintain form of a point a game for the rest of the season (which isn't actually very good anyway) my comments are madness?

Ok then. 

16 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think backing the manager regardless of performance would be silly, but what is it that makes you think sacking him should be in the discussion? Our poor form hasn’t even been that disastrous and we’re talking, what, 4 games? Is a bad 4 game run really enough to bring sacking into the equation?

It seems periods of bad form just aren’t  accepted in the football world anymore. 

Edited by bobzy

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm just comparing the madness to other teams. You're using his excellent start to the season against him. What kind of fanbase does that? 

You go compare other clubs all you wish.. it's irrelevant to our club.

I'm comparing what Smith has had to build this team, along with some solid coaches and based on this season as a whole - combined with having two of the best players in the PL at his disposal.

Are you telling me that we're all allowed to sing from the roof tops when he's winning but yet we must have a gagging order when he isn't doing so well and say nothing?

The excellent start to the season should not end in the shit show that we have witnessed over the last 6 or 7 games with what Smith has at his disposal.

We have looked like a Championship team since January and it's deeply concerning.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

On your manager basis then Klopp should be sacked at Liverpool? He hit all his expected targets like Smith yet has had a poor 2021

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You go compare other clubs all you wish.. it's irrelevant to our club.

I'm comparing what Smith has had to build this team, along with some solid coaches and based this season as a whole - combined with having two of the best players in the PL at his disposal.

Are you telling me that we're all allowed to sing from the roof tops when he's winning but yet we must have a gagging order when he isn't doing so well and say nothing?

The excellent start to the season should not end in the shit show that we have witnessed over the last 6 or 7 games with what Smith has at his disposal. We have looked like a Championship team since January and it's deeply concerning.

The last bit just isn’t true. There have been some poor performances, some good performances, and some mediocre performances - entirely what you’d expect of a team such as ours. Performances against Arsenal, Leeds and (first half) Wolves were good IMO. Brighton, Newcastle and Sheff Utd were poor and Leicester, West Ham and Spurs (to an extent) were average.

The drop in goals is a worry, for sure, but even looking at last night - individual errors away from a point. I’m not going to suddenly start blaming Martinez and calling for him to be replaced because he makes a mistake, it just happens. The same way bad form happens. The same way a team striving for mid table and a big improvement on the previous season will likely be very inconsistent. 

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You can have your opinion but it's based on nothing. Like I said, no team in the top half have squad depth issues that we do. 

Ignore it if you want. It doesn't surprise me 

Based on nothing?

So the last five games have been a improvement?

You defend smith ans you say its not his fault. Ok it must be the players then. But its not them either then. So who is it then if its  either of them? Shakespeare  terry? Or how about the groundsman?

I think smiths comments aftee the game were spot on ti be fair to him that we havebt been anywhere near where we were pre covid.

We look like Newcastle the last few games and its not good enough.  

For the amount smiths spent you would expect us tk at least take a half decent corner or be able to work lloris at least twice in the game?

It' really was another dreadful performance 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have a diva like fanbase at times. We are 10th in the Premier League about 5 years behind every other team in the top10

Are people pissed off because we aren't in the top 4? We are only 10 points behind. Our last 6 Premier League seasons or so we didnt even finish in the top 15 

I can't speak for others but top 4 was never realistic.

However, from the position we have been in for large parts of the season we could have easily achieved 5th,6th or 7th.

It's all very well giving wonderful performances against the Liverpool's, Leeds, and Arsenals etc.

But when we can't beat shite like Sheff Utd, Newcastle, Brighton & Burnley then there is something wrong.

I don't think it's anything to do with being divas.

In our last 6 premiership seasons I don't think we spent anywhere near the money that Dean Smith has spent in the last 2 either.

• Like 1

Looks like Smith is becoming a victim of his early-season success here 🤨

People should be looking at it as what we can achieve when we're fit and firing - as a glimpse of the future - rather than expecting it to be the norm now, especially with the players we have at our disposal. Without Jack in the team, we can clearly see that we need to strengthen the attack. People can talk about formation changes, but I don't see the personnel there to have it really make a difference. 

Smith does have to find a way for us to play without Jack and I imagine that's going to be an important factor in the recruitment this summer. 

I've no concerns over Smith at all - he deserves patience and our backing. 

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I can't speak for others but top 4 was never realistic.

However, from the position we have been in for large parts of the season we could have easily achieved 5th,6th or 7th.

It's all very well giving wonderful performances against the Liverpool's, Leeds, and Arsenals etc.

But when we can't beat shite like Sheff Utd, Newcastle, Brighton & Burnley then there is something wrong.

I don't think it's anything to do with being divas.

In our last 6 premiership seasons I don't think we spent anywhere near the money that Dean Smith has spent in the last 2 either.

You cant criticise Smith its just forbidden. If you do your labelled something like a diva which is utter nonsense. 

I dont think anyone is weing ti be concerned about the recent poor form and smith being absolutely clueless how to sort it out.

Smiths tactics are grealish create something to win us a game.

He has shown to me how limited he is without grealish

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think backing the manager regardless of performance would be silly, but what is it that makes you think sacking him should be in the discussion? Our poor form hasn’t even been that disastrous and we’re talking, what, 4 games? Is a bad 4 game run really enough to bring sacking into the equation?

It seems periods of bad form just aren’t  accepted in the football world anymore. 

But it hasn't been poor for just 4 games. We've taken 6 points from the last 7 games with 5 of them against teams in the bottom half. We've taken 15 points from 14 games in 2021 after getting nearly double that in the 14 games prior. We've also had a very kind run of fixtures in that time. 

Ignoring results, performances have also been incredibly poor. We looked an inferior side against Steve Bruce's Newcastle FFS.

I just don't get where you're getting that this dip in form is only temporary, it clearly isn't.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, S-Platt said:

I will start by saying I am happy with Deano but the last few games have been a chore.

Julian Naglesmann is a name I would look at only 33 champions league experience.   

Say we sell Jack and have 200 million to spend on players who would you have?

Money talks and we could sell him a plan I am sure.

Deano has done an amazing job but the next 9 games are important he cannot let the season end on a whimper.

I'd say Nagelsmann is already beyond us. We need to be looking for the Nagelsmanns of this world before they reach the Champions League. He's lining himself up for the Bayern job and they have been monitoring him for a while now. He supported them as a youngster, he grew up just outside Munich, so friends family etc very close by.

Loew goes after the Euros, Flick goes to Germany and Nagelsmann to Bayern is what I see happening.

Having said that, I think we shouldn't be looking to make a managerial change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Smith does have to find a way for us to play without Jack and I imagine that's going to be an important factor in the recruitment this summer. 

I've no concerns over Smith at all - he deserves patience and our backing. 

He couldn't find it in the Championship and he is still struggling to now in the Premier League.

Smith has had both patience and backing so I am not sure what you are getting at.

• Like 1

Â