UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

Rankings are good because it gives a bit more transparency as to who Joe Silva rates. That means fighters know who to call out to get closer to a title shot.

Obviously they are subjective and some of them I disagree with but it's a good idea over all IMO.

Ddid, you gonna trane bro?

I am yeah, I've got a 'basics' class on Thursday. I've done a spot of boxing before and I can throw a relatively mean punch with good technique but I know little to nothing about the rest. Fingers crossed I can pick it up, I ain't getting younger. Looking forward to it.

Its all good the UFC having the ranking system, but then Joe Silva goes and does daft things like matching Demian Maia (ranked 5th welterweight) and on a 3 fight win streak against Josh Koscheck (ranked 10th welterweight) and on a 2 fight losing streak... Maia just beat Jon Fitch, this is a step down in competition for Maia.

I think the idea behind that is that Kos' TDD is among the best in the division and if Maia can take him down and submit him then he's ready for a shot at GSP/Hendricks.

Also the only guy ranked ahead of him without a fight scheduled is Condit and they probably want to make Condit Diaz 2.

Maia should be fighting Ellenburger, and Condit should have rematched MacDonald as originally planned.

TDD doesn't help much when Maia is willing to climb you standing.

Koscheck is getting cut after he loses this fight.

Tbh I agree with your matchups and I think Maia will submit Kos. But I don't think he'll do it standing and I don't think Kos will get cut. He's stepped in to help out and promoted his fights well enough to earn more loyalty than that. The UFC tends to look after guys like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Quality knock out...but the way it ended pisses me off about UFC. The bloke went down like a sack of shit. Fight over. Whats with the 4-5 cheap shots whilst he undefended on the deck?

Not good.

Quality knock out...but the way it ended pisses me off about UFC. The bloke went down like a sack of shit. Fight over. Whats with the 4-5 cheap shots whilst he undefended on the deck?

Not good.

Yep. it was a bit late. It's a fine line for the refs to walk. They get so much grief when they jump in "early". This one was over though, especially after the first of the groundstrikes.

Not good.

Yep. it was a bit late. It's a fine line for the refs to walk. They get so much grief when they jump in "early". This one was over though, especially after the first of the groundstrikes.

I haven't watched it back but I remember thinking he was still active until a couple of shots had landed on the floor.

Anyway, regarding the "cheap shots": From a brain health perspective the cumulative effect of those shots is far less than if he'd have got an 8 count, made it to his feet and then had the process repeated.

I know there's a traditional view that you shouldn't hit a man while he's down but I don't really buy that, especially if it means less brain trauma than hitting a man once he's back up.

Koscheck is getting cut after he loses this fight.

No chance, still box office in the division.

I still cant make up my mind whether he really is a dick or its just clever marketing.  Either way he sells his fights secondly only to Sonnen.

Is this with a view to competing or just as a hobby?

I'd absolutely love to compete, but that might sound a bit arrogant at this stage. 

Fitness is what its all about, if you havnt got it in bucket loads then you had better have a hell of a punch.  I have trained with a few MMA lads and they put everyone to shame. 

Edited by Nigel

Nurmagomedov and Texeira both fighting tonight. One of them will do something good.

Both did! Crazy dagestan mofo!

774666866.gif''

And Glover in beastmode

James+Te+Huna+vs.+Glover+Teixeira.gif

Cain with not much effort. Outclassed bigfoot

1.gif

But the move of the night JDS! Holy shit! Brazilians using spinning kicks in every event now

Cant hotlink! Click for epicness

Â