UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

That shot on the floor is horrible

I see your point but would take a brave man to walk off KO on Anderson Silva.

In other news: Gosh darn it Roger! Ruined a nearly excellent accumulator for me. At least Dana seems sure of a rematch (Silva-Weidman) where Silva will no doubt be heavily odds on again.

That shot on the floor is horrible

I see your point but would take a brave man to walk off KO on Anderson Silva.

Oh I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it.

It's just brutal

IF Silva returns I feel sorry for Weidman!

Hes a good fighter, but legends are legends for a reason....

IF.......

Edited by Nigel

Weidmans got a shot on him, but nothing special for the division; Had Silva not been fooling around he would barely have noticed it! 

Weidmans only chance in a rematch is to take it to the ground, but I dont think he will get the chance.

I dont think there are many fight fans out there that does not want to see what a fired up Silva can do!

Weidmans got a shot on him, but nothing special for the division; Had Silva not been fooling around he would barely have noticed it

I can't really make head nor tail of this. I disagree about Weidman's power being nothing special but it doesn't matter either way. He has enough power to knock AS over if he catches him which is all that is relevant. That was one of the few things we weren't sure of going into the fight.

Silva only looks like he barely notices shots he's 'hit' with usually because he rolls with the shots. This is easy for him because he's very good and 90% of his opponents throw very easy to predict alternating combinations (LRLRLRLR etc). Weidman didn't do this, hence the lying on the floor unconscious.

Weidmans only chance in a rematch is to take it to the ground, but I dont think he will get the chance.

IIRC Weidman landed a power double from miles away without setting it up with strikes or a TD combo in the first 20 seconds. Why would he not get the chance?

Weidmans got a shot on him, but nothing special for the division; Had Silva not been fooling around he would barely have noticed it

I can't really make head nor tail of this. I disagree about Weidman's power being nothing special but it doesn't matter either way. He has enough power to knock AS over if he catches him which is all that is relevant. That was one of the few things we weren't sure of going into the fight.

Silva only looks like he barely notices shots he's 'hit' with usually because he rolls with the shots. This is easy for him because he's very good and 90% of his opponents throw very easy to predict alternating combinations (LRLRLRLR etc). Weidman didn't do this, hence the lying on the floor unconscious.

Why I mentioned Weidmans power was was that Silva has taken better shots from bigger punchers, just not when he was waving his chin around.

You obviously rate his boxing, Im not so sure, not yet anyway. (Talking relatively of course)

Silvas insistence on playing to the crowd decided this fight.

IIRC Weidman landed a power double from miles away without setting it up with strikes or a TD combo in the first 20 seconds. Why would he not get the chance?

Weidmans wrestling is excellent and it will be his only chance in a rematch.  I am being flippant that he wont get a single chance but do you think that will be enough against a fully motivated Silva?

Why I mentioned Weidmans power was was that Silva has taken better shots from bigger punchers, just not when he was waving his chin around.

You obviously rate his boxing, Im not so sure, not yet anyway. (Talking relatively of course)

Silvas insistence on playing to the crowd decided this fight.

I'm not sure I agree. He hasn't been hit cleanly by anyone with real KO power for a pretty long time (Chael is powerful but he's an arm puncher). Punch resistance fades with years of training too, especially the way the old Chute Box team train.

I rate his boxing in terms of it being very good considering striking is by far the weakest aspect of his game. It's not so much his boxing being good that means he doesn't throw LRLR, it's his coach. Ray Longo has now masterminded both GSP and AS's only KO losses, which is **** impressive in my book.

Silva's antics weren't a selfless attempt at entertaining at the expense of his own chances like a few of the MMA bloggers seem to think IMO, he's done the same thing several times before because it works for him. He's an awkward counter striker with long limbs who thrives on frustrating opponents into attacking, taking risks and leaving openings. I think Longo sussed his bob and weave out and got Weidman to double up his punches to catch him.

Chris Weidman being such a stud on the mat and having a great gameplan on the feet decided the match.

Weidmans wrestling is excellent and it will be his only chance in a rematch.  I am being flippant that he wont get a single chance but do you think that will be enough against a fully motivated Silva?

His only chance? Really? Do you remember last weekend when he won using something completely different? Grappling is his best chance, not his only one. Now Weidman's striking has got Silva's respect I expect his likelihood of landing takedowns to go up as well, not down.

Silva will use vaguely the same tactics, he'll shake his head, clap his hands, stamp his feet and call him on and try as hard as possible to disengage from any grappling at all. Obviously I would never count him out, that would be silly. He's Anderson **** Silva for feck's sake. I definitely wouldn't have him as favourite though.

Last time I was 55:45 in favour of Weidman, now that I know he has the potential to cause problems on the feet as well I'd say I was more like 65:35.

I got very good odds this time around (covered my unsuccessful accumulators for this card and 161 & my bet on Hendo).

I saw it reported some places are starting Weidman at evens for the rematch, I'll wait until it drifts first I think.

Â