Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

13 hours ago, peterms said:

Is it possible to imagine a more vile regime than Israel, taking pleasure in its vast technological superiority over the people it colonises, and torturing rhem like this?

In a grim situation, It's better than their alternative, which is not to warn.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

In a grim situation, It's better than their alternative, which is not to warn.

Or the other old favourite, bulldozing their houses with people still inside because a relative was a criminal.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

'potentially slightly less of a surprise death'

Which I'd bet actually makes it more cruel and psychotic in some cases.

In the most recent spell of frightfulness, in which an Israeli snatch squad got rumbled and one of them was killed and some Hamas people were killed, then there were hundreds of Hamas rockets "in retaliation" fired into Israel, and then  "in retaliation" to the retaliation the Israelis did these roof knock bombings, then actual bombings -  the casualties of all that madness were (given the scale of it all) very low. These knock warnings seem genuinely to massively reduce casualties. Given both sides utter lack of concern for the lives of the other side's people, Israel's new tactic is both surprising and I suppose better/less deathy than the alternative.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

In the most recent spell of frightfulness, in which an Israeli snatch squad got rumbled and one of them was killed and some Hamas people were killed, then there were hundreds of Hamas rockets "in retaliation" fired into Israel, and then  "in retaliation" to the retaliation the Israelis did these roof knock bombings, then actual bombings -  the casualties of all that madness were (given the scale of it all) very low. These knock warnings seem genuinely to massively reduce casualties. Given both sides utter lack of concern for the lives of the other side's people, Israel's new tactic is both surprising and I suppose better/less deathy than the alternative.

I’m turning in to the pedant on this subject, and perhaps I should actually just stay out of this one as I’ve previously promised myself.
The alternative makes it sound like the only two options are instant murder or murder with warning. 
I’m fairly sure I can think of at least one further alternative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m turning in to the pedant on this subject, and perhaps I should actually just stay out of this one as I’ve previously promised myself.
The alternative makes it sound like the only two options are instant murder or murder with warning. 
I’m fairly sure I can think of at least one further alternative.

Yeah. I agree.  In my first post on this I used

In a grim situation, It's better than their alternative, which is not to warn. - Because it was (you're right) their (the Israel IDF) alternative method of bombing the missile launchers, mortar firers, and general "revenge" horrors on buildings that the IDF have been doing.

And I slipped up, perhaps, not re-saying that in my last post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

In a grim situation, It's better than their alternative, which is not to warn. - Because it was (you're right) their (the Israel IDF) alternative method of bombing the missile launchers, mortar firers, and general "revenge" horrors on buildings that the IDF have been doing.

They have been doing much more than attacking "legitimate" military targets. This entire line of argument is channeling an awful amount of Mr. Regev.

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Maybe on the next attempt he doesn't create snakes and apples.

I think it's too easy a cop out to allow the racist murderers and thieves a chance to say their racist god told them to murder and thieve.

38 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Yes.

Who is doing that ?

Well, it was sort of a mini rant contribution on the same theme. I thought it was anyway, unless snakes and apples was about something else in which case it went well over my head, sorry.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

The weakness with this argument is that it appears to accept their framing of the situation.

If I say that my two alternatives are to kill you and steal all your possessions or else take all your possessions by fraud and just breaking a couple of limbs, and I sought some moral credit for doing the latter, you would rightly reply that neither were acceptable, and that doing something appalling cannot be justified by positing a worse and also unacceptable alternative,.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, it was sort of a mini rant contribution on the same theme. I thought it was anyway, unless snakes and apples was about something else in which case it went well over my head, sorry.

I'm just saying this was avoidable with a dash of omniscience.

It seems super messy IMO. 

Luckily we have stable world leadership across the globe to sort this out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villakram said:

They have been doing much more than attacking "legitimate" military targets. This entire line of argument is channeling an awful amount of Mr. Regev.

Yes, I know. At no point have I defended their actions, or claimed what you’re saying. My comments have been a response to a tweet. Which to me seemed to be saying Israel has stooped to a new low by warning people before then destroying buildings they were in. My point is that that course of action causes less death than the alternative (previous) Israeli tactic of just bombing the buildings with no warning. That’s all.

israels actions are brutal, vile, indiscriminate often, disproportionate, counter productive, cruel...

Hamas, similarly so,, but smaller in scale and against a target more able to protect itself, apart from when they do it against their own population.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peterms said:

The weakness with this argument is that it appears to accept their framing of the situation.

For the avoidance of doubt then, I felt it unnecessary to mention that not bombing people is less deathy still.

Â